The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was the loss to Nashville the deathblow for the 15/16 season?

19naslund19

22 hours ago, stawns said:

Who brought this guy?

If you mean "this guy" I'm brought by my lifelong passion for this team and more specifically an eagerness to read the varied views about the day to day machinations of the  player and management groups. By and large these forums have been a welcoming place with active, pointed and energetic opinion. 

I can't speak for any other "guys" and certainly not pomorick.

• 2 weeks later...

So since my original post we have lost to the worst team in the league...and got handily beat by Calgary. if Nashville wasn't the deathblow...are we there yet? I think this week is really going to be telling with games against Colorado and Arizona. I think by Wednesday night we should (and so should JB) have a clear indication of what we are at the TDL for this year.  

I still say the Nashville game was the deathblow for this year and JB should be selling, but lets look at things now a couple games deeper into the season as we have 3 points in the last 5 games:

24th in the league now

Still 5th in the division

6 points out of a wild card spot (realistically what we would be targeting as ANA and SJ are not being caught within the division). We do have games in hand on both Minny and Colorado. Minny and Arizona have sucked lately so it does give us hope. But again to my point getting do we really want to get ahead of these guys? Puts us in the grey sadness area where we are not good enough to get into playoffs and yet hurt our draft pick number for this year. I think the first two games of this week will really decide things (if they haven't been decided already).

2nd worse wins # in the league (only 1 games ahead of the leafs)

One of the worse home records in the league

Hammer seems to be the one with the most value out there...I think it would be a good thing to send him to a contender for picks/prospects.

Vrbata/Bartkowski "should" have some value to a contender as well especially if we take back draft picks/non-roster prospects only.

Final though watching the last tow low scoring loses - What about trading Mille as he looks dejected with each lose. Any team willing to take him? Worth it if we pickup another goalie (cheaper) to back-up Markstrom for the rest of the year? Clear a little more cap for next year...and really I think Markstrom with another capable goalie as 1A/B next would be fine.

The  2015-16 Vancouver Canucks teams as assembled was never a playoff team. 

Hot goaltending has kept us in contention for 8th for most of the season.

Truth be told we have a declining first line.  Hank with 24  5 on 5 pts this season.  

Second line is a Busted Flush - Vrbata is sulking for having to play with the rookies not the Sedins.

Our D-fense  is soft as butter and teams are totally excited to play against us  eg. staple our D into the boards while on the forecheck.  Why not ?  Who is the D man on our team that holds other teams accountable ?      Our D usually apologize afterwards  and offer no resistance / payback.

We have a team perfectly set up to TANK.  So far our team is tanking without the help of management. 

Right now , we all need to start planning for next year. This year is done.   

I'm not sure the deadline will amount to much else than MAYBE trading off guys on expiring contracts for meh draft picks. Realistically, is anybody going to give up a first rounder for Vrbata? Is anyone going to rescue Higgins, Prust or Weber from the AHL? Doubt it. Maybe for Hamhuis, but I am of the opinion that I think they keep Hamhuis and extend him for a bit of a discount. His dedication, integrity and desire to play, to say nothing of his determination to return to the lineup, will persuade that the team needs his veteran presence among a somewhat wonky defence.

On the other hand, if somebody wants to take Hamhuis for a first rounder AND a prospect who can play now or soon, then you'd have to do that. But, I don't think it will happen.

EVER since the 2011 game 7 loss to Bruins the writing was on the wall.   THIS team simply can't score.  I was a Season Ticket Holder when the Twins were first drafted, actually before that.  Burke made that happen and had the first pick I believe and then traded to get the second pick so that he could pick both of them.   WE were awful when they first began and it was Crawford that coached the team at the time.  I won't easily forget how he would always play them on the second portion of the power play - a huge waste of time and exhausting to watch but in the end well look at how good they became.

PROBLEM is that big time changes should have been made in 2012 and finally something has been done but not enough.  What is wrong with losing and getting some top picks or trading assets that we have for faster and younger?   I say nothing.

Nothing changes over night and we have to be patient.  It is hard to watch the CANUCKS now.  I miss people like Bure;  I miss the WCE line . . .   That kind of play, win or lose excited me to be a Season Ticket Holder and watch games live.  

MJDDawg said it best!

18 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I'm not sure the deadline will amount to much else than MAYBE trading off guys on expiring contracts for meh draft picks. Realistically, is anybody going to give up a first rounder for Vrbata? Is anyone going to rescue Higgins, Prust or Weber from the AHL? Doubt it. Maybe for Hamhuis, but I am of the opinion that I think they keep Hamhuis and extend him for a bit of a discount. His dedication, integrity and desire to play, to say nothing of his determination to return to the lineup, will persuade that the team needs his veteran presence among a somewhat wonky defence.

On the other hand, if somebody wants to take Hamhuis for a first rounder AND a prospect who can play now or soon, then you'd have to do that. But, I don't think it will happen.

The other day in between periods Macintyre said he talked to Hamhuis and that he said he's willing to sign at a discount to stay in Vancouver. I'd be happy at 3.5m to keep him.

Regarding the thread even as dire as our situation looks right now they still have a chance. The SJ series alone could be a 10 point swing in our direction. Add in Colorado for 3 games which has 3 games in hand on us and Arizona for 2 games when they're only 2 points ahead of us and you've got the making of a possible come back. Not to even mention St. Louis and Edmonton for 5 games, which we seem to dominate every time we play.

Now if we lose all 5 SJ games then that will definitely be a deathblow.

4 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

The other day in between periods Macintyre said he talked to Hamhuis and that he said he's willing to sign at a discount to stay in Vancouver. I'd be happy at 3.5m to keep him.

Regarding the thread even as dire as our situation looks right now they still have a chance. The SJ series alone could be a 10 point swing in our direction. Add in Colorado for 3 games which has 3 games in hand on us and Arizona for 2 games when they're only 2 points ahead of us and you've got the making of a possible come back. Not to even mention St. Louis and Edmonton for 5 games, which we seem to dominate every time we play.

Now if we lose all 5 SJ games then that will definitely be a deathblow.

I love your optimism. The Canucks need more fans like you. In terms of a discount, I'm thinking a salary of 2 to 2.5 million. I think Hamhuis is a character guy who has all he needs and more, so to play at home is important to him. OTOH, if he could spend a couple of years in Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, Dallas or SoCal his family might  like to move to someplace sunny and warm.

12 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I love your optimism. The Canucks need more fans like you. In terms of a discount, I'm thinking a salary of 2 to 2.5 million. I think Hamhuis is a character guy who has all he needs and more, so to play at home is important to him. OTOH, if he could spend a couple of years in Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, Dallas or SoCal his family might  like to move to someplace sunny and warm.

I admit it's not likely, but there definitely still is a pathway to the post season. Regarding Hamhuis I don't think he'd take that much of a discount to play here. If we get him for anything under 3.25m I'd be ecstatic. On any other team he could get at least 3.5-4m easily.

Archived