The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was the loss to Nashville the deathblow for the 15/16 season?

19naslund19

The last two games of the road trip were more than winnable, and were a damaging but not necessarily devastating missed opportunity.  Had we won those two games, it would have been the first 3 game streak of the season and the road trip would have been a smashing success. We would be 1 point out of second place in the west! We would be resting up and looking forward to getting 2 of our best players back after the break. The positive momentum would have been huge. CDC would be filled with outrageous predictions of overtaking the Kings, wining the division and getting a lighter first round match up in the playoffs. Instead, we are also rans running out of opportunities. We had that stretch earlier in the season where we missed out on a chunk of points in OT, and gave up leads late in the 3d. I was at the Sabres game for example. Pure horror. You can brush that off given the timing and the difficulty we had finding our footing with the youngsters. Baer and Horvat started out slowly. McCan and Vert were lost at times. Vey and Etem who have played well weren't even on the roster. Goal tending was good but Miller had a stretch where he looked tired and there were questions about Marky. No excuses now.  

With injuries and puck bounces this year I have to believe that the hockey gods owe us at least one good run in the back half of the season. If we continue to bump along the rest of the way as we have done all year, losing leads late, struggling in OT, I will look back on the last two games of the road trip as the missed opportunity to change the season, build confidence and momentum towards the playoffs.  

On 1/27/2016 at 6:46 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

The time(to sell vets) was probably Feb 2015, but better late than never...

How so? They would have been trading vets with time left on the contracts. I don't think they would have gotten value. Expiring contracts on rentals is much more attractive to teams trying to buy a cup run.

Retool for an instant cup run. 

Hamhuis to $&!#tsburgh for sprong/Pouliot +2nd 

Vrbata + Weber to Anaheim for Theodore + 3rd 

Byfuglien to van for 2nd and 3rds acquired above + 2nd turns into first if buff resigns + Shinkaruk 

Cup or bust baby... But yea the loss really was a nail in the coffin. Will be tough to dig out of this one 

On 27 January 2016 at 4:16 PM, stawns said:

I couldn't care less about wins and losses this season, what I want to see is the youth movement going forward and the overall compete level come up.  With that as my standard, I would say this season (minus a stretch in there) has been successful.  i'm enjoying watching the young guys start to grab control of the team from the vets and watch the team work hard and use their speed every shift.  It'll be interesting to see if JB makes any big moves at the dl.......he may just wait until the draft.

This is so bang on... Screw points, this is about youth, and the youth movement. It's actually been a lot of fun, bar a few games, to watch. 

On 27/01/2016 at 0:15 PM, gameburn said:

Did you see the Nashville game last night?  The vets in particular are voting with their feet on making the playoffs: glacier like line changes, nothing physical from any of them except Dorsett.  Last night was winnable, should have been won, would have been won a couple of years back: these guys are tired, and no longer fired up.  This is what ageing is all about.  Play the youth, move everyone older not named Sedin or Hansen.(or Sutter lol.)  

I don't think it has anything to do with age. This non-chalant play in SOME games has been going on for years. Glad to see some of these guys have been given the boot but there are still a few that need to go. 

On 27/01/2016 at 0:34 PM, grandmaster said:

This says it all. It's time to sell the vets. The dark times are here and will be here for a while. Still confuses me why we got rid of Lack and brought in Miller. There was no way we were gonna be contenders.

Most of this seasons downfall has been injuries. This made regulars out of Prust, Weber, and Higgins who had no business playing in the NHL. You will see a difference with our 2 top centers and 2 of our top 4 dmen returning.

No grand illusions of the cup or anything this year but I think this team is better built for the playoffs than years past. Players like Bo,Sutter and Hansen I can see stepping up in the post season. Still need to rid ourselves of no shows such as Vrbata though. We are transitioning so I am good with seeing what the kids can do in a couple of playoff games.

FWIW, it is unlikely we would play LA in the first round, as we would need to get the 1st wild card spot, not the 2nd one, to play LA (unless they lead the West, which they are further behind than Canucks are from a playoff spot).  The conference leader plays the wild card with the least points, and the other division winner plays the wild card with the most points.

That doesn't mean starting out against Chicago or Dallas would go a whole lot better for us.

All I can do is sit back and try to enjoy the games.  If they win, cool.  If they lose, oh well, closer to a better pick.  Hopefully they still played well, especially the young-uns. The only negative emotion I get at end-game is when they get screwed over and lose, because we have all seen enough of that crap.

all this because of one (we're talkin one loss right?) loss? Did anybody expect a 30 game unbeaten streak or something? Is the magic number down to one? If I thought the chance of making the playoffs was this tenuous I would have actually taken the time to watch the game!

1 hour ago, pomorick said:

You didn't watch the game?? Then why bother posting you f%%% M$%$$  Posting here is for fans of the Vancouver Canucks. Every game is crucial now whether you are wanting to tank or to make the playoffs.

Who brought this guy?

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 7:26 PM, pomorick said:

You didn't watch the game?? Then why bother posting you f%%% M$%$$  Posting here is for fans of the Vancouver Canucks. Every game is crucial now whether you are wanting to tank or to make the playoffs.

I call myself a fan, yes, not a fanatic, however. Attended the first 2 Canuck home playoff games against the Montreal Canadians in 1975. Took joy in the splendour of Ron Sedelbauer's flowing mane, jumped out of my seat on many of the bowl legged rushes up the ice by  Bob  Manno, thought Thomas Gradin was living proof that someone up there was trying to even the score after 10 awful and embarrassing years. 

i kinda like your passion but I'll have to respectfully disagree that somehow my allegiance to this team depends on taking in every moment of this momentous push towards whatever management has decided to push towards. And yes, one single game can make a difference regardless if you favour the tank or think we are better off with some playoff experience under our collective belts but I beg of you, a little perspective please.

Archived