The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The goalie situation.

smokes

Miller and Markstrom have been doing well enough but when I look at the future, I'm a little worried about what's coming down the pipe. As a Canucks fan since Coutier, I have gotten used to dependable goaltending and knowing good goalies are coming down the pipes. Schneider and Lack coming from the farm for example. But with the likes of Richard Bachman who does not look like prospect and Joe Caanata who is basically the back up in Utica, Demko is the real bright spot coming in.  He is the only one, which basically means all the eggs are going to be in one basket. 

Are you comfortable with the goalie sitation going forward?

Are you kidding me with this?  Both are still under contract for one more season after this, Miller likely to be traded while Markstrom resigned and both goalies you mentioned (Bachman & Caanata) more than capable of backing up during the current transition while Demko continues to develop, and likely makes a slow transition to the NHL over the next 2 seasons and you're taking this as a negative?  The goalie position is honestly the last thing on the Canucks to be uncomfortable with, try looking at our d-line or a top tier forward core (after the Sedins are gone) before you worry about our goal tending situation.  Can't even put more than one puck in the net against the worst team in the league playing their back-up (and yes i'm counting the 0-3 in the shootout)

You have a very strange definition of "all eggs in one basket" but the Canucks' current goal tending situation is definitely not that. 

4 minutes ago, snipes2539 said:

Are you kidding me with this?  Both are still under contract for one more season after this, Miller likely to be traded while Markstrom resigned and both goalies you mentioned (Bachman & Caanata) more than capable of backing up during the current transition while Demko continues to develop, and likely makes a slow transition to the NHL over the next 2 seasons and you're taking this as a negative?  The goalie position is honestly the last thing on the Canucks to be uncomfortable with, try looking at our d-line or a top tier forward core (after the Sedins are gone) before you worry about our goal tending situation.  Can't even put more than one puck in the net against the worst team in the league playing their back-up (and yes i'm counting the 0-3 in the shootout)

You have a very strange definition of "all eggs in one basket" but the Canucks' current goal tending situation is definitely not that. 

It is because of the fact that the Canucks can't score that you need to worry about the goalie situation. The fact that the Canucks are 9th in the league for goals allowed and doesn't help either.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Miller and Markstrom have been doing well enough but when I look at the future, I'm a little worried about what's coming down the pipe. As a Canucks fan since Coutier, I have gotten used to dependable goaltending and knowing good goalies are coming down the pipes. Schneider and Lack coming from the farm for example. But with the likes of Richard Bachman who does not look like prospect and Joe Caanata who is basically the back up in Utica, Demko is the real bright spot coming in.  He is the only one, which basically means all the eggs are going to be in one basket. 

just stop man. markstrom is only 26, demko is 21 I believe and Miller still has 1 year left after this season. and dependable back ups can be found relatively easily on the ufa market. goaltending is the least of this teams worries. Marksrom and demko will fulfill their potential. our goaltending is already set for the next decade.

1 minute ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

just stop man. markstrom is only 26, demko is 21 I believe and Miller still has 1 year left after this season. and dependable back ups can be found relatively easily on the ufa market. goaltending is the least of this teams worries. Marksrom and demko will fulfill their potential. our goaltending is already set for the next decade.

All I'm saying is this:

Forwards:

Sven, McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Etem, Vey, Gaunce, Shinkauruk, Kennins

Defence:

Hutton, Pedan, Tryamkin, Subban

Goalies:

Demko and Caanata?

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

All I'm saying is this:

Forwards:

Defence:

Goalies:

Demko and Caanata?

NOT Demko Caanata it will be Markstrom and Demko and then Demko and ???? but that ???? is years away and there is plenty of time to draft that ???? and have them develop before it ever becomes an issue and again a dependable back up is not that hard to come by.

All I'm saying is this, you have no clue and should go away now.

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

All I'm saying is this:

Forwards:

Defence:

Goalies:

Demko and Caanata?

i'm more worried about the players in front of the goalies.  Miller for another year, Marks for many more years and Demko coming in 2018.  Backup goalies are easy to acquire by trade or UFA.  Good dmen and goal-scoring forwards; not so much.

9 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

NOT Demko Caanata it will be Markstrom and Demko and then Demko and ???? but that ???? is years away and there is plenty of time to draft that ???? and have them develop before it ever becomes an issue and again a dependable back up is not that hard to come by.

All I'm saying is this, you have no clue and should go away now.

Schneider took 3 seasons in the AHL after BU to  get into the NHL. Eddie Lack was 26. If history is any indication then Demko will probably need about 3 seasons in the AHL. Miller contract ends ext year so then it is Markstrom-??? then 2 years later Markstrom and Demko. So who's going to be the back up? Caanata?

11 minutes ago, smokes said:

All I'm saying is this:

Forwards:

Defence:

Goalies:

Demko and Caanata?

Look at other organizations. Name ONE other team that has a backup who was named "the best player not in the NHL" before AND a goalie prospect who has now tied all time season records in college (Schneider's records btw) with like 20 games to go. And Rollie Melanson as our goalie coach. We're better equipped for the future in net than literally every single team in the league.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

Schneider took 3 seasons in the AHL after BU to  get into the NHL. Eddie Lack was 26. If history is any indication then Demko will probably need about 3 seasons in the AHL. Miller contract ends ext year so then it is Markstrom-??? then 2 years later Markstrom and Demko.

:picard:

your not getting it, Schneider didn't need 3 seasons in the AHL he was ready before that. Lack was behind lu and Schneider on the depth chart again he was ready before age 26 also he didn't even come to north America until he was 22. Demko will not need 3 seasons In the AHL before he is ready to back up Markstrom it will be 2 tops but hopefully only 1 and if it is 2 and we need someone else to back up Markstrom for a season. A DEPENDABLE BACK UP GOALIE IS NOT HARD TO GET!!!! as has been pointed out numerous times now. Remember Eddie Lack for a 3rd?

No one who has replied so far agrees with you, NO ONE.  You are wrong face it, get over it and move on. Your thread sucks and you're wrong.

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Markstrom is 26 years old and coming into his own quite nicely since getting to work with Rollie. I see him as our #1 in 2017/18 when Miller's contract is up. Hopefully Demko plays in Utica next year, does well and is ready to back up Markstrom in 2017/18. If he's another year away, we pick up a veteran to back up Marky in 2017/18 and Demko comes in for 2018/19.

18 minutes ago, smokes said:

Schneider took 3 seasons in the AHL after BU to  get into the NHL. Eddie Lack was 26. If history is any indication then Demko will probably need about 3 seasons in the AHL. Miller contract ends ext year so then it is Markstrom-??? then 2 years later Markstrom and Demko. So who's going to be the back up? Caanata?

Schneider didn't need 3 seasons in the AHL. The Canucks wanted him to play. At the time Luongo was starting 65-70 games a year and Schneids just wouldn't have gotten enough PT. He was ready before that.

2 hours ago, smokes said:

What the hell is in your tea!

Archived