The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

you need toughness and good fighters

hockeygod77

12 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

ok i admit when i see good scrap in hockey it gets my juices going...my ideal team that linden should build should be tough player on the backend with two offensive d men...two intimidating forwards with some skill and one super power line like the sedins and etc...if you want to win the cup you need to have that intimidating player not just super star lines...the canucks got pushed around and the bruins won with that recipe...all cup winners have good skilled tough guys...the kings are a good example...sign a goon and play rough tough hockey to year end..it would be fun to watch...

NHL fights today are boring.  Toughness on the other hand is exactly what we need, but toughness in respect of playing the game.  We need players that can throw crowd-raising hits, and also keep up with the play.  We need players that intimidate the other team and make sure they are always checking over their shoulder.  That is something just about every Stanley cup winner in recent memory has had.  

I couldn't care less how well they throw punches, you don't get any points for winning a fight.

53 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When your captain allows the opposition to punch him in the head 5 times with no payback... What kind of a message does that send to your team ?

Still choked by that event.  You just can't let that happen in hockey. Wrong message to send. 

Linden at times wasn't too different.I r ember Nilan punching him then laughing, Tom Larschied criticizing him for not standing up to Tkachuck, then praising Jiri Slegr for taking on Tie Domi in the same game.

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

When your captain allows the opposition to punch him in the head 5 times with no payback... What kind of a message does that send to your team ?

Still choked by that event.  You just can't let that happen in hockey. Wrong message to send. 

Honestly, I think the severity of that grows over time. If you watch it, it really wasn't like he was getting drilled repeatedly in the face. More of just a shaking, pushing really. And, there was a huge expectation of a penalty being called and them not wanting to retaliate so they go the PP. Unfortunately, it broke down when the correct penalty wasn't called.

If toughness means being strong on the puck and being able to check people off of it, then yes. If toughness = payback and fighting, less so. If a team is big and strong they can play clean successfully and don't need to resort to fighting as part of their game plan. Spontaneous fights are another aspect but I think the retaliation or staged fights are becoming a thing of the past and are often overstated in terms of the game's outcome.

Always think it's funny when people preach toughness and a willingness to stand up for their team and then go on to suggest that we trade for a player that brings that. Well, we have traded for a player like that this last offseason. Prust. How much energy did his staged fights bring to the team?

See the thing you have to understand is that a player who is just brought here is not going to have loyalty to stick up for the team, because he essentially owes them nothing except to be an effective NHLer that his contract pays him for. Why should he care to fight when the Sedins get pushed around? You are saying he should feel a strong sense of loyalty to his teammates because of a contractual obligation?

No, that's not how it works.

Instead I'd look at Kevin Bieksa, a guy who grew with the organization, with the staff, with the players, and everyone in between. He absolutely battled anybody who even looked at his teammates wrong, why? Because he felt that sense of loyalty to an organization that had been so responsible for his success and development, that he wanted to help them wherever and whenever he could. And because he was a character guy who felt that sense of duty.

You know the type of players that GMJB is drafting now? Exactly the type of players I've just described.

You know the kind of projects GMB is drafting now? Exactly the type of players I've just described.

And you know this because GMJB has been preaching this since the beginning of his tenure here. So please, understand that this team is trending in the direction of beauty character players that will battle hard, and that all that is required of us now is patience.

2 hours ago, SvenBae said:

Instead I'd look at Kevin Bieksa, a guy who grew with the organization, with the staff, with the players, and everyone in between. He absolutely battled anybody who even looked at his teammates wrong, why? Because he felt that sense of loyalty to an organization that had been so responsible for his success and development, that he wanted to help them wherever and whenever he could. And because he was a character guy who felt that sense of duty.

I though Bieksa generally avoided good fighters?

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While toughness and pugilism is still well entrenched in the NHL, it's really mental toughness and physical endurance that wins out.

The Canucks have been taken off their game far too many times by being physically outmatched. This has more to do with the other team having an overall larger roster that can pile on the hits and neuter any offensive output, versus a fight breaking out.

Too many players left over from the last Cup run display a level of insecurity when the team begins a slide. These players need to be traded to other teams so that both parties have a clean slate going forward.

Well said Blunt. Watching LA tonight was a thing of beauty. No need to fight just over power your opponent and just manhandle them. Kind of like the Bruins a few years ago. We have had a talented team for quite a few years but way too many softies who turtled when the tough got going. Can't wait to get rid of the last of those players and get more grit and heart on this team. Bo is a great start towards that trend.

It's painful to watch the Nucks get pushed around by almost every team they play. They even lost physicality from last year's soft core and are now left with youth and veteran skill up front and a mostly soft and unskilled D Core. Yet another reason to bring up the A team and think less about this season. If they surge with youth, great, if not, great. I just hope JB is not strong armed into keeping assets for a play-off push because that will set us back a couple of years.  

wrong again vancouver ...you need toughness in guys that have the package..bieksa was ok but his skill level and his timing of toughness was cheesy and not serious....if you culls cant figure it out just keep going to the rink and sit there with all the other bullheads and watch boring hockey...i like fast paced game with open hits and team toughness..end of story...

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, hockeygod77 said:

ok i admit when i see good scrap in hockey it gets my juices going...my ideal team that linden should build should be tough player on the backend with two offensive d men...two intimidating forwards with some skill and one super power line like the sedins and etc...if you want to win the cup you need to have that intimidating player not just super star lines...the canucks got pushed around and the bruins won with that recipe...all cup winners have good skilled tough guys...the kings are a good example...sign a goon and play rough tough hockey to year end..it would be fun to watch...

The Canucks were not healthy in the least. The series still went 7 games with a decimated D corps and Kesler Malhotra and Samuelson basically non existent. Hammer was out and Rome was suspended. Raymonds back was broke and on and on and on. A healthy Canucks team wins that series 7 times out of 10. I agree with having toughness but that wasn't the reason the Bruins won

On February 9, 2016 at 0:27 PM, The Sedge said:

NHL fights today are boring.  Toughness on the other hand is exactly what we need, but toughness in respect of playing the game.  We need players that can throw crowd-raising hits, and also keep up with the play.  We need players that intimidate the other team and make sure they are always checking over their shoulder.  That is something just about every Stanley cup winner in recent memory has had.  

I couldn't care less how well they throw punches, you don't get any points for winning a fight.

Yep. Most of the fights now a days are not something guys are afraid to do. As u can see , most of the time they are very professional about it 

http://youtu.be/D1UqOVObUg4

This is where you get some leverage from a contender like Washington for Hamhuis, with Trotz coaching that team everyone knows it's a natural fit for a late first rounder and they sacrifice a tough young Tom Wilson.

We need more size, and BTW why Pedan wasn't brought up instead of Weber is bizarre?

Basically, I concur with most of the posts on this thread.  We don't need a goon who plays dirty and racks up needless penalties though.  We need overall toughness along the boards.  When the opposing players go into the boards after the puck, rather than getting it, they should be listening for the pitter-patter of skates as a Canuck prepares to paste him to boards.  That can be quite a distraction.  Right now, the opposition seems to win most of the puck battles.because there is no threat.

And the front of the net is another area of concern.  As it stands right now, the safest place for an opposing player to be is in front of Markstrom/Miller.  Nobody will lay a glove on him. There's more risk from a shot than from a Canuck.  Where is the mean mother defenceman who clears the crease, preferably administering a few bruises while he does so?

Only Dorsett seems to get it, and perhaps Virtanen, who is not strong enough to really deliver a punishing check, although he tries.  Besides, he should be scoring, not body checking.  The rest of the team seems to prefer to steer clear of anything that might cause a boo-boo.

Well, the cry of a Canucks fan:  "wait until next year!"

Archived