The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa | #5 | D

-SN-

I hope we can give him a D partner who actually can play defence, then he will finally show how good he can be.  I know I'm the minority, but I like Sbisa, just need to play with guys that can play D to allow him to be more aggressive; not just playing with the one guy left over that can't play with anyone else

49 minutes ago, mpt said:

I hope we can give him a D partner who actually can play defence, then he will finally show how good he can be.  I know I'm the minority, but I like Sbisa, just need to play with guys that can play D to allow him to be more aggressive; not just playing with the one guy left over that can't play with anyone else

Really? You see him as an offensive defenceman? I like him, too --- and have since he was a Duck --- but, think his physicality in the Canucks zone is what's needed more than him joining the rush at the other end. I see him as a 2nd-pairing guy with the right D as you described, but from the right side. Someone like Demers would be perfect. 

8 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Really? You see him as an offensive defenceman? I like him, too --- and have since he was a Duck --- but, think his physicality in the Canucks zone is what's needed more than him joining the rush at the other end. I see him as a 2nd-pairing guy with the right D as you described, but from the right side. Someone like Demers would be perfect. 

Where did I say he was offensive?

1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

Sounded like you were referring to his being aggressive on offence. I think he's aggressive enough on defence already and still think Demers would make a perfect partner. 

I meant playing more aggressively defensively, but when your partner is skating around like a chicken, someone has to play more conservatively, Sbisa would be much more effective if he was able to take some more aggressive chances defensively.

Without anymore offseason moves on the D end he would probably slot into 5-6 on depth chart

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Pedan - Biega

If he has any offensive upside I think he would be able to explore that with Tryamkin as a D partner

17 hours ago, mpt said:

I meant playing more aggressively defensively, but when your partner is skating around like a chicken, someone has to play more conservatively, Sbisa would be much more effective if he was able to take some more aggressive chances defensively.

Interesting observation, but, I see him as the opposite from that. I think he'd make a bigger contribution as that conservative D paired with a RH who can score, be it with goals or assists. He's physical enough for that. 

13 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

I'm hoping Willie will avoid any R-R or L-L pairings. 

Tryamkin did good on his off side IMO in the few games I got to watch him play. For the 3rd pairing I think 2 left handers will be ok, as the options for right handers atm are not too good. Don't get me wrong Biega was a great fill in, but at best he's a 7 D man. Subban is not ready, unless he goes all Hutton on us (that would be good). Other options for the right side? Larsen, too many question marks, Nilsson, same boat IMO, Stecher would be closest, but we'll have to wait till training camp to see if any of them are ready. Maybe Benning lands us a FA

I like Sbisa I really do. I like him very much as a bottom pairing guy I find when he starts getting too many minutes his play slips and he is far less effective. He's a good energy guy who can at times shift the momentum of a game (but it works both ways).  

Eagle Tanman 

B hutt Guds 

Pizza Tramplekin

Pedan Biega

Larssen

I really like the look of that D I mean its no

Ohlund Salo 

mitchell Bieksa

Edler Jovo

But I won't shake a stick at them.

16 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Honestly, if he stays on the bottom pairing, I'm fine with it. It's a bit much if he dips into the press box though.

Pretty expensive bottom #5-6 D-man.

On May 30, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Sedinery33 said:

Tryamkin did good on his off side IMO in the few games I got to watch him play. For the 3rd pairing I think 2 left handers will be ok, as the options for right handers atm are not too good. Don't get me wrong Biega was a great fill in, but at best he's a 7 D man. Subban is not ready, unless he goes all Hutton on us (that would be good). Other options for the right side? Larsen, too many question marks, Nilsson, same boat IMO, Stecher would be closest, but we'll have to wait till training camp to see if any of them are ready. Maybe Benning lands us a FA

I could go for a UFA or 2 for this team next year. At RH D, preferably. And, I don't mean for depth, either. I, too, look forward to young Subban making the squad at right around the time Biega's extension runs out. And, I've really not seen that much from Tryamkin yet to rate him THAT far ahead of Pedan. 

Archived