The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time Capsule - Prediction Thread for 2016-17 NHL season

Canorth

On June 28, 2016 at 6:49 PM, ThaShady1 said:

I have serious bets on these Canucks. I am one of the apparently decreasingly few that thinks we're going to have a successful year. 

I have 2 separate bets of $100 each that says we make the playoffs. One is with a fellow Canucks fan (who hates everything about Benning) and the other is a Bruins fan. 

I have $20 that says I hit the over on the over/under of Eriksson hitting 24.5 with 70 or more games played. 

I also have $20 that says the Canucks finish above the Oilers. 

I don't have any actual predictions. I guess those are mine. 

Canucks make the playoffs. 

Eriksson scores 25+

Canucks are still better than the Oilers. 

Ouch! How do i get in next years betting pool? lol, i lost 50 to a buddy over Toronto being better.

On 2016-06-30 at 9:09 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Canucks finish dead last. A Sedin gets injured early season and the team falls apart. Canucks trade away Vets such as Edler, Miller, Hansen, Sbisa at deadline. Willie fired and we go into more of a rebuild phase. Canucks end up dead last with 70 points.

The good

Horvat 20g16A

Baertschi 18G23A

Rodin 25G 12A

Sutter 18G 25A

Markstrom plays like a #1

Vitanen 15G 12A

Eriksson 28G16A

Hutton 2G 30A

Gudbranson 7G 14A

Edler 6G 24A

Hansen 17G 20A

D Sedin 25G 22A

H Sedin injured but gets 14G 20A

Stetcher gets some games and gets 3G 15A

Canucks play well but don't have enough depth for top player injuries. End up dead last and lose the Jackpot (because Canucks aren't allowed first round pick, Bettman). Canucks look forward to next year and sign some free agents. They bring up their blooming prospects and look better the year after.

2017 Roster

Daniel-Henrik-Boeser

Baertshi-Horvat-Eriksson

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaunce-Rendulic

Dorsett-Carcone

Juolevi-Tanev

Guddy-Hutt

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Pedan

Markstrom

Bishop(or another aging goalie a team wants to dump for cap space)

The team is going to suck this year but in a couple or few it could be good but Canucks need a new top line centre and LW to replace the Sedins and soon.

Low hopes for this year

Oh but Tryamkin hits Mathews through the glass to make the year worth it and pisses off Toronto

Well I was right on a few points. Guessed Horvats and Baertschi's goal totals as well as a couple others. Disappointing year for our vets. The Sedins and Eriksson did not produce as this team needed it too in order to succeed. Almost was right when I guessed they'd finish dead last but who knew Colorado was going to lay down and play like @#$% all year haha

57 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Ouch! How do i get in next years betting pool? lol, i lost 50 to a buddy over Toronto being better.

haha can I make some bets with you next year! You were blinded by your love for the Canucks and should have seen this coming. Oh well, bet those guys in a few years time.

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

What a huge fail lol.

So hard to project in the summer what is going to happen. Like who thought Minny and Columbus would have such good years. Or the coilers! One thing i noticed is that no one predicted anything on Granlund, no one thought much of him but what a good year he had.

13 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha can I make some bets with you next year! You were blinded by your love for the Canucks and should have seen this coming. Oh well, bet those guys in a few years time.

yep, Toronto has been bad for so long i didn't think Mathews would be so good and i didn't think Marner would do much with his size. 

On 2016-06-28 at 4:13 PM, HC20.0 said:

Alright, should be my final predictions. 

The Sedins hit 60 points. Age starts to really show, but they still produce. 

I was right about the age starting to show. I don't think Hank and Danny have much more. Wrong about the totals... they didn't come close. 1/2

Eriksson hits 30 goals.

Biggest disappointment on the year goes to... 0/1

Baertschi breaks out with about 20-25 goals, 40 points. 

He would have hit both easy if not for his injuries, so I was almost spot on here. 0.5/1

Horvat also breaks out with around 20 goals, but 50 points. 

Nailed this one. 2/2

Virtanen starts in the AHL, gets called up halfway through season. 

Hahaha the exact opposite happened. 0/2

Sutter stays healthy, gets 20 goals, and 40 points. Does better then Bonino.

Wrong on every account. 0/3

Burrows is the 13th forward. Doesn't crack 10 goals, but gets a very emotional send off.

Didn't crack 10 goals here, but hit 14 on the year. It was a very sad day for all when the trade happened. 0.5/2

Dorsett lost in expansion draft. 

TBD, but I highly doubt it now. 0/1

Granlund has much better season. Shinkaruk underwhelms.

Bang on on this one. 2/2

Gaunce makes the team. 

Nailed it. 1/1

Edler has decent season, gets 30 points.

Did not happen. 0/1

Gudbranson becomes a staple on our blue line, fans love him. 

Hahaha I like him, but he was a let down this year. 0/1

Tanev is his same old reliable self.

Yup. 1/1

Hutton hits Sophomore slump, but shows improvement as season progresses. 

Definitely had a much better second half of the season. His first half was dreadful. 1/1

Larsen becomes the new Weber. 

Aye. 1/1

Sbisa continues to improve. 

Improved a lot more than I thought he would, so credit where it's due. 1/1

Miller is average. Posts about 910%. 

Miller was elite this season. The sole reason why we were better than the Avs. 0.5/1

Markstrom takes over as starter by the end of the season, shows great improvement.

Even if Marky hadn't been so injured, he still probably wouldn't have just because of Miller's phenomenal play. 0/1

Vancouver greatly improves, but narrowly misses the playoffs.

We regressed actually, and missed by a very wide margin. Fancy that. 0/1

Utica does better this season.

Very poor first half, monster second half. 0.5/1

Edmonton sucks a little less, still misses playoffs.

:picard::picard::picard: 0/1

Toronto just sucks.

:picard::picard::picard::picard::picard: 0/1

Calgary misses the playoffs.

I'm out of facepalms. 0/1

Montreal misses again, Bergevin and Therrien are fired and lynched. 

Well I got Therrien right at least.... 1/3

Ottawa and Winnipeg squeak in. Sens still call for new owner.

Winnipeg's goaltending really let me down here. 1/2

Chicago declines more, gets another first round exit.

TBD, but won the conference, so so far.... EDIT: HOLY FRACK! 1/1

LA also declines, but makes it to round 2. 

Halfway right at least. 1/2

Tampa Bay gets back into the finals.

Nope. 0/1

Anaheim and San Jose make the playoffs.

Hey this was hard to predict. 2/2

Nashville wins the west, goes far in the playoffs.

First half was wrong. I think Chicago will destroy the Preds, so right now, 0/2 EDIT HOLY FRACK THEY SWEPT CHICAGO! Still 0/2 tho.

Arizona misses the playoffs.

Again, hard to predict. 1/1

Florida declines a lot with their new blue line.

Called it. 1/1

Pittsburgh wins division. 

Nope. 3rd actually. 0/1

No Canadian team makes it out of round 1.

Fricking Sens and Oilers hahaha.

Totals: 20/47. Yikes...... Not getting lotto tickets anytime soon......

On September 11, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Boudrias said:

Father time stops for no one. There are so many question marks over this roster that making playoffs would be a huge success. I have greater confidence in the goal tending and with the d-core but suspect the forward group struggles again this year. The depth is shallow that injuries could quickly kill the season.

Placing Winnipeg under Van in playoff rankings is brutal. Their roster is more than playoff ready I expect them to be contenders. I do not expect the Canucks will make the playoffs. Not upset about that reality.

Well done, you called it. 

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Lol yeah... haven't been hearing the end of this one for awhile... my favourite part was the Eriksson bet... I would've still lost even if we'd bet points :/ 

4 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Lol yeah... haven't been hearing the end of this one for awhile... my favourite part was the Eriksson bet... I would've still lost even if we'd bet points :/ 

Loui seemed like a no brainer to have a great season I was sure he was good for 20 plus and Daniel as well.

53 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

yep, Toronto has been bad for so long i didn't think Mathews would be so good and i didn't think Marner would do much with his size. 

Not to mention all their other rookies and finally finding a goaltender. They'll be competitive for the years to come. Don't know if they'll be cup competitive though.

2 hours ago, JayCanuck10 said:

OP when will u start the next season prediction thread??

Last couple of seasons I've tried for right around free agency, but people start putting their predictions for next year into the current thread. Probably start a little earlier this year... around the draft maybe??

On 10/5/2016 at 0:38 PM, TimberWolf said:

Canucks have a decent start, people act like we're an elite team after all. By Christmas we'll be sure were making the playoffs. In January we'll be bragging about being the hunt for a wilcard spot, in February to the trade deadline we'll debate on moving contracts or adding (benning will do nothing) and then we'll spend the rest of the season debating on who we'll draft depending on where we may pick. 

With the exception of being surprised that benning actually moved a couple of contracts at a deadline I think the season was pretty predictable. 

On 6/28/2016 at 6:49 PM, ThaShady1 said:

I have serious bets on these Canucks. I am one of the apparently decreasingly few that thinks we're going to have a successful year. 

I have 2 separate bets of $100 each that says we make the playoffs. One is with a fellow Canucks fan (who hates everything about Benning) and the other is a Bruins fan. 

I have $20 that says I hit the over on the over/under of Eriksson hitting 24.5 with 70 or more games played. 

I also have $20 that says the Canucks finish above the Oilers. 

I don't have any actual predictions. I guess those are mine. 

Canucks make the playoffs. 

Eriksson scores 25+

Canucks are still better than the Oilers. 

well-damn-3pn7j9.jpg

On 10/12/2016 at 5:14 PM, hatedkid666 said:

EAST

Metro  

Pens - 105pts

Caps - 104pts

Islanders  - 99pts

Hurricanes - 98pts

-------------------------

Rangers - 96pts

Flyers - 92pts

Devils - 84pts

Blue Jackets - 71pts

Atlantic

Lightning - 112pts

Panthers - 105pts

Habs - 103pts

Redwings - 101pts

-----------------------

Sens - 98pts

Bruins - 90 pts

Sabers - 83pts

Leafs - 79pts

West

Central

Stars - 109pts

Blackhawks - 106pts

Preds - 104pts

Wild - 99pts

Avs- 98pts

-------------------

Blues - 98pts

Jets - 94pts

Pacific

Kings - 106pts

Sharks - 105pts

Canucks - 96pts

---------------------

Flames - 93ps

Oilers - 88pts

Coyotes - 77pts

Ducks - 74pts

NHL Leading goal scores

Ovechkin 57

Stamkos 55

Tarasenko 47

Crosby 45

McDavid 45

NHL leading point getters

Crosby 107 

Stamkos 103

Mcdavid 97

Benn 94

Kane/Ovechkin 93

PLAYOFFS 

WEST

Round 1

Stars 4

Avs 2

Kings 3

v

Wild 4

Sharks 4

Canucks 1 

Blackhawks 4

Preds 3

Round 2

Stars 0 

v

Blackhawks 4

Wild 3

Sharks 4

Round 3

Blackhawks 4

v

Sharks 3

EAST

Round 1 

Lightning 4 

v

Hurricanes 0

Pens 4

v

Redwings 2

Caps 4

Islanders 2

Habs 1

Panthers 4

Round 2

Pens 3

v

Caps 4

Lightning 3

v

Panthers 4 

Round 3

Panthers 3

v

Caps 4 

Finals

Caps 4

v

Blackhawks 3

Trophies

Hart: Crosby

Norris: Josi

Calder: Laine

Vezina: Mrazek

Linsey: Stamkos

Jack Adams: Gerard Gallant

Conn Smythe: Ovechkin

Canucks Stuff

H.Sedin 81

D.Sedin 81

Eriksson 77

Horvat 57

Baerstchi 49

Goals

Eriksson 35

Daniel 31

Horvat 26

Sutter 23

Baertschi 21

yikes

On 2016-10-14 at 3:11 PM, ajhockey said:

I thought I had already posted to this, but I guess not.

I'll make some guesses:

Canuck Predictions 2016-17.png

I was surprised at how pessimistic my predictions ended up being, though I guess they're not too far off what I expected.

• Minor improvements in the grand scope of things, but some of the key young guys continuing to improve.
  • Stecher comes up for 9 games and impresses.
  • The Sedins and Eriksson gel pretty well as they have a slightly better year point-wise and get Eriksson 29 goals.
  • Baertschi and Horvat show great chemistry and continue to slowly, but surely improve. Both truly begin to look like top 6 players. 
  • Rodin joins Baertschi and Horvat after his injury and meshes well
  • Hutton has a great sophomore year, cementing his identity as an offensive defenseman
  • Sutter has a bit of a rough year from receiving less minutes on the 3rd line
  • Edler and Tanev have average years, not great, not bad
  • Granlund doesn't surprise, but doesn't regress either
  • Hansen has a rough year not playing big minutes
  • Gaunce sticks with the team for most of the year and solidifies himself as an NHL player
  • Virtanen has trouble in his sophomore year and is scratched a few times before being sent down
  • Burrows plays the leader role well, but begins to fall behind the game a bit
  • Larsen and Tryamkin switch in and out of the #6 spot, but neither look particularly promising
  • Biega plays some games to become eligible for the expansion draft
  • Miller looks alright, but a bit shaky at time
  • Markstrom begins to outplay Miller and the team becomes more confident in front of him

The Canucks as a whole finish 11th in the West, with slightly better offense and defense than last year. A step in the right direction.

I bolded some of the statements that were somewhat close to being right.

Overall, I generally overestimated some players and underestimated others. As far as point projections go, I got Sbisa's 13 points dead on and Baertschi was pretty much on pace to match my guess. Miller was one win off what I predicted and Skille wasn't too far off the point total. As the team goes, they were closer to matching my predictions earlier on, but fell pretty hard at the end for the tank.

On 6/28/2016 at 6:38 PM, luckylager said:

Our defense isn't even close to being as improved as most on CDC are expecting. Maybe a bit better, sure. A little bit.  Less goals scored against us than last season. -15%.

Forwards have improved a little as well. I was expecting a big increase in production, I'm not gonna let WD's first game line up bring me down. We will score at least 60 more goals this season than last!

Canucks battle for a wild card is the best case scenario.

Worst case is a top 5 pick, again.

But nowhere near as bad as the media wants us to be

Wrong, Lucky, you fool. Pretty much exactly as bad as the media expected us to be. Damn!

Damn

Damn

Archived