The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

20 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Oddly enough, Darian Durant did something similar with the Blue Bombers, where he signed as a free agent, took his bonus, then retired before the off-season was even over. With a clawback, the Bombers would have been able to keep that money.

Greasy!:lol:

1 hour ago, Provost said:

If a player decides to retire after getting their signing bonus for that season, the team is able to go to arbitration to get the money back.  Presumably in most cases teams wouldn't want to be giving out money and then having the player leave (we would love that).

It could just be used as a pressure point for Eriksson "IF" we decided to play hard ball.

The idea would be in his exit interview to tell him that he is going to be assigned directly to Utica next year and we are moving on.  Give him the opportunity to retire July 1st after getting his signing bonus and choosing not to claw it back from him.  That would only be on the table if he announced his retirement on July 1st so that we could actually use that cap space.

damn, I think you're on to something there. 

I could also see a situation where he doesn't report to camp, if he thinks he's got something left. That way he gets his bonus and we get to terminate. 

Someone mentioned somewhere in the thread that mutual termination isnt an option if he wants to still play in the NHL, but is that true for 35+ players as well? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

damn, I think you're on to something there. 

I could also see a situation where he doesn't report to camp, if he thinks he's got something left. That way he gets his bonus and we get to terminate. 

Someone mentioned somewhere in the thread that mutual termination isnt an option if he wants to still play in the NHL, but is that true for 35+ players as well? 

How come Kovi got to terminate with LA and then still play with another team? 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How come Kovi got to terminate with LA and then still play with another team? 

thats why I'm asking @Provost about 35+ contracts. Loui turns 35 on July 17th so I wonder if that means he can go sign another deal once he's 35?

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats why I'm asking @Provost about 35+ contracts. Loui turns 35 on July 17th so I wonder if that means he can go sign another deal once he's 35?

No idea... I don't see why he couldn't re-sign somewhere.  I think the issue with mutual termination is whether you could convince him to walk away from that money.

If he did terminate and then try to sign with Dallas (where his family lives) for under $2 million that seems like it would be a decent option on his part.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

No idea... I don't see why he couldn't re-sign somewhere.  I think the issue with mutual termination is whether you could convince him to walk away from that money.

If he did terminate and then try to sign with Dallas (where his family lives) for under $2 million that seems like it would be a decent option on his part.

to me that would be ideal. Agree on mutual termination July 1. 

Someone, I can't recall who, mentioned that they thought an NHL player couldn't continue in the NHL after mutual termination for the remaining length of the contract, but i don't know if thats true or not. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Someone, I can't recall who, mentioned that they thought an NHL player couldn't continue in the NHL after mutual termination for the remaining length of the contract, but i don't know if thats true or not. 

It appears to be okay to mutually terminate and then sign with another team.  Wouldn’t that be perfect if Loui does this? 

Edited by Alflives

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just don't see how Loui is on the team, even if he has a good playoff performance (hopefully he does for many reasons). 

He has a 15 team no trade list, which hopefully he's not a hard ass about. But if he is, then I guess its off to Utica. 

Just spitballing the money saving ideas over the last few days, Jim can create 4.9 mil in cap space by sending Loui to Utica, and buying out Sutter and Baer. Crappy options yes, but it can be done and if its the difference between losing Toffoli or not then yeah it has to be done. And its 100% within Jim's control which is why i see it as a real option. 

The other option for creating cap is somehow doing 50% retained salary deals for all 3 of Loui, Sutter and Baer, which could net up to 6.8 mil in cap space. More than enough to keep the band together. But thats going to cost us a lot of prospects and make the Madden freak out look tame.

Part of all this is I think the team is better than management though it would be by a year. After next season we have 40 mil in cap space and lose a player to Seattle. Its only next season where we are cap squeezed. 

I thought that's the amount that stays on the cap if they bury him in Utica.  Wouldn't he have been gone this year if that was the case?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I thought that's the amount that stays on the cap if they bury him in Utica.  Wouldn't he have been gone this year if that was the case?

you could get 4.9 by putting Loui in Utica, which saves 1.025, and the Sutter and Baer buyouts would cover the rest. Its far from ideal, just an option thats 100% within Bennings control. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you could get 4.9 by putting Loui in Utica, which saves 1.025, and the Sutter and Baer buyouts would cover the rest. Its far from ideal, just an option thats 100% within Bennings control. 

ahhhhh, gotcha.  Thanks JM

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am sure there has to be some issue with mutual termination after he gets his signing bonus (I don't have any info on it though).  The contract years go from July 1st, so if he took his signing bonus maybe he couldn't play somewhere else for the rest of that season?

It seems like too much of a loophole to leave open for cap circumvention... though I guess you are allowed to trade a player after getting their bonus so that is kind of cap
circumvention too.

I think the limitation someone is talking about is if a player retires rather than mutually terminates their contract.  If a player retires they can't just go sign another contract until after their existing one expires.

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am sure there has to be some issue with mutual termination after he gets his signing bonus (I don't have any info on it though).  The contract years go from July 1st, so if he took his signing bonus maybe he couldn't play somewhere else for the rest of that season?

It seems like too much of a loophole to leave open for cap circumvention... though I guess you are allowed to trade a player after getting their bonus so that is kind of cap
circumvention too.

I think the limitation someone is talking about is if a player retires rather than mutually terminates their contract.  If a player retires they can't just go sign another contract until after their existing one expires.

even if the 3 mil bonus counted on the cap in his 2nd last year, thats as good as a 50% retained trade. The final year is zero. So if thats how it went thats fine. Bettman would probably rule it that way anyway, the little bastard. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

even if the 3 mil bonus counted on the cap in his 2nd last year, thats as good as a 50% retained trade. The final year is zero. So if thats how it went thats fine. Bettman would probably rule it that way anyway, the little bastard. 

Oh, we would still take that any day.  Just not sure about the rules with him signing another contract and any cap implications.

If they allowed players to get their signing bonus and then retire with no implications to the team or player, it opens the way to basically paying an extra year on a veteran contract that neither of you intends for the player to play.

Like if we signed Tanev  to a 4x$5 million year deal next contract and his last year was $4 million in signing bonus... then he could effectively get paid $19 million of the total $20 million contract if he just played three years and retired after getting the 4th year signing bonus.  We would be getting a big cap benefit from that structure.

I know signing bonuses are going to be a big thing to negotiate in the next CBA, maybe it is to clean up issues like this.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well Jimmy, I don’t know about the other things you suggest here, but you’re certainly right on this one!  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Make a nice matching, Bettman themed, $3m book end to our Luongo cap recapture! :lol:

:angry::(:picard:

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

Seems like LE was somewhat benched tonight. I’ve always cheered for players on my team but I’m so tired of Loui. I mean I don’t hate him but man it’s getting old. He’s had some pretty good games this year but they are so few and far between. Please play Big Mac on Saturday.

Im tired oh so very tired.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Seems like LE was somewhat benched tonight. I’ve always cheered for players on my team but I’m so tired of Loui. I mean I don’t hate him but man it’s getting old. He’s had some pretty good games this year but they are so few and far between. Please play Big Mac on Saturday.

Im tired oh so very tired.

just lower your expectations and you'll feel better 

• Haha 1