The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

There are still people waiting to dump LE off the roster or demote him as soon as possible despite him clicking well on one of our most effective lines so far. The nerve of LE making an impact to the team and not allowing himself to be hated on.

I was one that has been very hard on LE,  for good reason.  He is contributing well to the lineup.  For 2m less a season based on his production and including his play in general. 

That is a big improvement vs the last 3 years of LE IMO.  

Nothing against the player as a person, as a hockey player but to sign a deal and to completely fail to live up to it inexcusable.  

This wouldn't be the first time this has happened in Hockey.  Just as the Flyyers about Andy McDonald.  

But since LE gained some traction with Bo, I have shown him props.  

I don't see any need to trade anyone going into the final push.   Off season moves I do want to see, sure.  

This teams depth a cap are good for this year.  In a sense, JB loaded up to ar the start of the year with extra depth, similar to teams loading up for a cup push.  

In JB's planning, it was to make the playoffs, damn straight.  But IMO it will make for a quite TDL canukcs wise unless the team implodes somehow in the next 4 weeks.  

Looks possible to even add Trymakin before the post season.  If done, the team as is, would be the deepest team and possibly, the youngest team in the playoffs.  

With balanced scoring and multiple shut down lines, which LE is a big part of, why would anyone want to shake things up at all.  

JB would lose the 1st this year... that could hurt the team a bit in 5 years.  If this club makes the big party, then it would be a mid to low pick.  Worth it.  

I would like to see LE do one thing, retire before his final year.  If he can still play and contribute next season, great.  

But if he negatively impacts the club beyond the end of his contract.... 

Right now, his deal hurts no one, except a billionaire, so what?  

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I don't see any need to trade anyone going into the final push.   Off season moves I do want to see, sure.  

I don't know....I'd be ok with some fat trimming.

See if we can't toss Schaller to say BOS for a late pick. Look at moving Stecher for futures etc depending on returns. Re-test the market for Baer (even with retention). I'd even look at moving Leivo (assuming he's back in time for the TDL).

See if we can't shed some of the cap that might cause bonus overages next year.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:36 PM, aGENT said:

I don't know....I'd be ok with some fat trimming.

See if we can't toss Schaller to say BOS for a late pick. Look at moving Stecher for futures etc depending on returns. Re-test the market for Baer (even with retention). I'd even look at moving Leivo (assuming he's back in time for the TDL).

See if we can't shed some of the cap that might cause bonus overages next year.

Freeing up enough cap to address the bonus issue is a good point.  

Either way, we don't have a true need to add atm and really need to trade out players if anything.  

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, lmm said:

I don't know how you justify this statement

since Loui joined BO and Pearson 12 games ago, Bo has 14 points while Pearson has 13 pts.

they each have 1 Power Play point,(not playing with Loui)  they have picked up a few empty net points but Loui was involved with those

Still 2/3 of that line are scoring at +1ppg over the last 12 games, while Loui has .5 ppg

edit, see Jimmy's post^

with 6 empty net goals they are scoring at +.5ppg 5v5 

I think this is what is called a 200 foot game

These empty net goals are really obscuring the stats. Sure it's nice, and they're not easy goals, but they don't give an indication of sustained offensive pressure. 

Come playoff time we're basically going to go in with one top line to score, a 2nd line to defend, a 3rd line to try a bit of both but mainly score (if Boeser's still there) and a 4th line to hit and try not to get scored on.

Honestly I don't mind, whichever approach Green wants is fine, but take away the ENGs to really assess how they're producing because they certainly don't produce a hell of a lot of sustained offensive pressure. I'm happy having a line that can finally defend and close games out (as we've often been scored on with a goalie pulled) but you can't deny that Loui is one of our least skilled, speedy offensive players on the team. I'm glad for him that he's found a role on the team though.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

take away the ENGs to really assess how they're producing

1.    There is a reason those players are on the ice defending a lead.   Taking away ENGs is like taking away PP points.    They are earned under unique situations that occur in games.   One could argue EN points, as long as you are not giving up tying goals too on a regular basis, are actually quite hard to come by and take a lot of work.

2.     If you truly take away EN goals, Gretzky falls to 39th all time in scoring.    Don't mess with Wayne.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

These empty net goals are really obscuring the stats. Sure it's nice, and they're not easy goals, but they don't give an indication of sustained offensive pressure. 

Come playoff time we're basically going to go in with one top line to score, a 2nd line to defend, a 3rd line to try a bit of both but mainly score (if Boeser's still there) and a 4th line to hit and try not to get scored on.

Honestly I don't mind, whichever approach Green wants is fine, but take away the ENGs to really assess how they're producing because they certainly don't produce a hell of a lot of sustained offensive pressure. I'm happy having a line that can finally defend and close games out (as we've often been scored on with a goalie pulled) but you can't deny that Loui is one of our least skilled, speedy offensive players on the team. I'm glad for him that he's found a role on the team though.

You can't just choose part of a hockey game and then ignore the stats for that one part.

Playoff games are going to be very tight games and many will be one goal games with a goalie pulled. If that line gets puts out then they probably end up getting points on empty net goals then too.

• Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

1.    There is a reason those players are on the ice defending a lead.   Taking away ENGs is like taking away PP points.    They are earned under unique situations that occur in games.   One could argue EN points, as long as you are not giving up tying goals too on a regular basis, are actually quite hard to come by and take a lot of work.

2.     If you truly take away EN goals, Gretzky falls to 39th all time in scoring.    Don't mess with Wayne.

i agree 100%

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

well I absolutely agree, 

but it is kind of funny because last season and the beginning of this many Svendo supporters were calling him an effective 2nd liner because he put up a shade over .5 ppg.

In his best ppg season Sven scored 29 pts in 53 gmes, that is 3 points above .5.

I have to admit that I was not thrilled with those stats but many a Sven supporter were.

I guess you, and I, have higher standards

or times have changed

really those EN points are getting comical, Did you see the look on Pearsons face the other night? Even he thinks its funny

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You can't just choose part of a hockey game and then ignore the stats for that one part.

Playoff games are going to be very tight games and many will be one goal games with a goalie pulled. If that line gets puts out then they probably end up getting points on empty net goals then too.

I don't think we should over think this.

Lets be honest, its kind of a blip, like when Conan the Brabarian scored a few goals or when Schally McSchall Shall scored 4 goals in 3 games.

Lets enjoy these EN goals while they last but there is no saying they will continue into the playoffs

But if this line can continue to keep the opposing team off the board, I will be happy

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Empty net goals are very important imo. It secures the game. Most of the time, when an ENG is scored, it puts the dagger into the heart of the opposing team for any hopes of coming back to win the game. It is very important. It secures a Regulation Win. I remember for years, we were horrible in those situations and end up giving up the tying goal and sometimes it leads to losses. If 2/3 of Eriksson’s points are empty net points by the end of the season, I don’t care. I love the idea of a line that is very confidence playing in this situation and can almost always score that empty net goal to put away any doubts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't think we should over think this.

Lets be honest, its kind of a blip, like when Conan the Brabarian scored a few goals or when Schally McSchall Shall scored 4 goals in 3 games.

Lets enjoy these EN goals while they last but there is no saying they will continue into the playoffs

But if this line can continue to keep the opposing team off the board, I will be happy

Better than under thinking it. EN goals mean two things. (1) Leading in the last few minutes of the game, and (2) Having players on the ice in the last few minutes to close out the game who are smart enough and skilled enough to score.

As long as both those things happen, EN goals are an easily foreseeable result.

well the Isle game kind of makes my point.

As soon as people start beliving that line will score every game, poof they get scored on.

It was forseable 

and it changes nothing

they are still good whether they got scored on or if they score a goal.

they just aren't going to always score is all i'm saying

Edited by lmm

I thought Eriksson made some good defensive plays against the Isles but killed each offensive rush stone dead with his slow footwork or terrible passes.

We know what we're getting with Loui. I'd like to see Green put a more skilled player like even Virtanen on the 2nd line at parts of the game and near the end of the 3rd if we're hanging on for dear life, throw Eriksson out there with Bo. I'm all for the defence he brings, but you can't have a 2nd line just defend and miss scoring opportunities all game.

Yeah I agree. It is hard to dispute how Bo and Tanner have been playing for a stretch, but the play does die too often once it hits Eriksson's stick.

As others have asked for, we should ve putting Boeser on that line. I imagine Green wanted to have 3 scoring lines but he hasn't gelled well on the 3rd.

Someone probably mentioned it, but with Benning saying he isn't worried about cap space but with 3 key players due for raises, I can't help wonder if a statement was said that went something like this:

Benning/Green: "Loui, we know things haven't worked out since coming here and you're unhappy. Understandable, but let's come up with a solution that makes sense for both of us.

If you agree to play your heart out, we are going to insert you into the 2nd line for the foreseeable future. If you succeed up there, it will help us to move you. If you don't find more success up there or/and we can't move you, then you retire as there is very little real money owed on the rest of the contract. At least then you had more fun for the remainder of your time here and can leave with less regrets".

I can't help but think Loui has upped his trade value of late. Now more than ever he should be an attractive veteran player to be picked up for a rebuilding team with cap space available. And if he still isn't an attractive acquisition, retain 1.5m of his salary and/or throw in a b level prospect. Win win for everyone.

This should be totally doable.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah I agree. It is hard to dispute how Bo and Tanner have been playing for a stretch, but the play does die too often once it hits Eriksson's stick.

As others have asked for, we should ve putting Boeser on that line. I imagine Green wanted to have 3 scoring lines but he hasn't gelled well on the 3rd.

Someone probably mentioned it, but with Benning saying he isn't worried about cap space but with 3 key players due for raises, I can't help wonder if a statement was said that went something like this:

Benning/Green: "Loui, we know things haven't worked out since coming here and you're unhappy. Understandable, but let's come up with a solution that makes sense for both of us.

If you agree to play your heart out, we are going to insert you into the 2nd line for the foreseeable future. If you succeed up there, it will help us to move you. If you don't find more success up there or/and we can't move you, then you retire as there is very little real money owed on the rest of the contract. At least then you had more fun for the remainder of your time here and can leave with less regrets".

I can't help but think Loui has upped his trade value of late. Now more than ever he should be an attractive veteran player to be picked up for a rebuilding team with cap space available. And if he still isn't an attractive acquisition, retain 1.5m of his salary and/or throw in a b level prospect. Win win for everyone.

This should be totally doable.

With the NHL youth movement I don't see much interest in Loui. He has been playing much better but his CAP hit is an anchor. Realistically once Leivo is ready he likely slots back in on Bo's line. Leivo was well on his way to a career high and establishing himself as a 2/3 forward. His injury might allow JB to re-sign him at an affordable contract. Ericksson has to go somehow.