The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

22 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I wonder how playing out his final 2 yrs in Utica would sit with him?

I think he takes his massive bundle of $ he's made already +3m bonus, sells his house in Vancouver for +++millions and heads back to Sweden.  He could easily get a contract from a SHL team and continue playing for a few  more years.

Threatening to send him to Utica sounds tough, but LE is not stupid. He would be aware that the Canucks would only save $1M of his $6M AAV from the Cap by doing so. And would then need to pay another player about $3M to replace what LE was doing for the team.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is not great management tactics, especially when it damages your reputation around the league with all the other players. I don't think there is any significant chance JB sends LE to Utica, or even threatens it.

16 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Threatening to send him to Utica sounds tough, but LE is not stupid. He would be aware that the Canucks would only save $1M of his $6M AAV from the Cap by doing so. And would then need to pay another player about $3M to replace what LE was doing for the team.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is not great management tactics, especially when it damages your reputation around the league with all the other players. I don't think there is any significant chance JB sends LE to Utica, or even threatens it.

Agreed.  JB definitely needs to dump Loui’s contract, so he can afford to keep Marky.  The sweetener to dump Loui will cost at minimum one of our best prospects and picks.  

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Did anyone care when Bogosian, Ladd, Schneids, Kovy, Backes (and there's probably others) were waived to the minors?  This is the new NHL and it has become a cutthroat big business. 

2 more seasons of LE will block the team from signing player(s) that could significantly improve the team.  Next season Leivo can replace LE and ZacMac needs to join the team.  Later on, we might see Lind and/or Jasek testing the water; perhaps Hoglander.

I can't imagine how vitriolic the fans will become if LE's contract sets the team back in its progression.

Of course, I would much prefer a more satisfactory way to unload Loui's cap hit.  There are a couple of possibilities, so I have faith that the management team and LE will come to terms this summer.

So I have a question for our resident capologists, regarding Loui's buyout situation.

As I understand it, a player over 26 gets 2/3 of his remaining salary, but that does that include future signing bonuses, or just straight salary? 

Because if it is just salary, and not bonus money too in the buyout he receives, buying out Loui next June 15th would net him 2.67 million. 

If he agrees to retire after his bonus is paid, he gets 3 million.

Seems to me he's got a good incentive to just take the bonus and retire, vs. going to Utica for 2 years or trying to pick up another job somewhere as a 35 year old UFA which won't be easy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So I have a question for our resident capologists, regarding Loui's buyout situation.

As I understand it, a player over 26 gets 2/3 of his remaining salary, but that does that include future signing bonuses, or just straight salary? 

Because if it is just salary, and not bonus money too in the buyout he receives, buying out Loui next June 15th would net him 2.67 million. 

Seems to me he's got a good incentive to just take the bonus and retire, vs. going to Utica for 2 years or trying to pick up another job somewhere as a 35 year old UFA which won't be easy. 

Sweet Gordie...you might be right Jimmy you brilliant bastard you! :wub:

From CF:

Cost Calculations
BUYOUT DATE BASE SALARY REMAINING S.BONUS REMAINING YEARS REMAINING BUYOUT LENGTH AGE BUYOUT RATIO TOTAL COST TOTAL SAVINGS ANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2020 $4,000,000 $4,000,000 2 4 34 2/3 $2,666,667 $1,333,333 $666,667
Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Vancouver Canucks VAN)
2020-21 $1,000,000 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $666,667 $3,666,667 $333,333 $5,666,667
2021-22 $3,000,000 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $666,667 $1,666,667 $2,333,333 $3,666,667
2022-23 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
2023-24 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
TOTAL $4,000,000 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,666,667 $6,666,667 $1,333,333 $10,666,668

Looks like the buyout cost (AKA his actual earnings) to the Canucks would be $2.66m. I could freaking kiss you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Way to go Jimmy!  I do believe you have uncovered the plan with Loui.  This is likely known to Loui, his agent, and the Canuck’s top management.  

You win a chocolate cat :towel:

55 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Did anyone care when Bogosian, Ladd, Schneids, Kovy, Backes (and there's probably others) were waived to the minors?  This is the new NHL and it has become a cutthroat big business. 

2 more seasons of LE will block the team from signing player(s) that could significantly improve the team.  Next season Leivo can replace LE and ZacMac needs to join the team.  Later on, we might see Lind and/or Jasek testing the water; perhaps Hoglander.

I can't imagine how vitriolic the fans will become if LE's contract sets the team back in its progression.

Of course, I would much prefer a more satisfactory way to unload Loui's cap hit.  There are a couple of possibilities, so I have faith that the management team and LE will come to terms this summer.

You seem to be determined to ignore the fact that sending LE to Utica would only save $1M on the cap, nowhere near his $6M cap hit. So threatening to do so would be an empty threat, a weak bluff in an attempt to bully him, a very silly thing to do.

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

You seem to be determined to ignore the fact that sending LE to Utica would only save $1M on the cap, nowhere near his $6M cap hit. So threatening to do so would be an empty threat, a weak bluff in an attempt to bully him, a very silly thing to do.

I don't think LE would go to Utica.  I think the possibility of that scenario would encourage Loui and the Nuck's management to investigate other solutions.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

As per Provost in the cap thread, looks like we'd still be on the hook for his bonus money, on top of the $667k x 4 years so that's probably not the out we were hoping for.

Back to reality...buyout or retention look like our best options.

And after his bonus is paid this summer, he's only owed $5m of actual cash over 2 seasons or $2.5m/year. Retain 50% and that drops to $1.25m (with only $500k of actual cash this year). Take back a +/- $1m AHL contract and that becomes basically a wash. 

So fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Way to go Jimmy!  I do believe you have uncovered the plan with Loui.  This is likely known to Loui, his agent, and the Canuck’s top management.  

You win a chocolate cat :towel:

well it needs confirmation - I'm just pondering if this is how it works, I need a person who knows the cap better to confirm. 

But if it is this way, it just makes sense for him to retire since a buyouts no better for him. If he says no to the retirement plan, then they can park him in Utica, which he isn't going to want to do. 

The other option is he gets his bonus and doesn't show up for camp, and gets terminated. That way he can go try and find another NHL job if he really wants to, but I just don't see it happening. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well it needs confirmation - I'm just pondering if this is how it works, I need a person who knows the cap better to confirm. 

But if it is this way, it just makes sense for him to retire since a buyouts no better for him. If he says no to the retirement plan, then they can park him in Utica, which he isn't going to want to do. 

The other option is he gets his bonus and doesn't show up for camp, and gets terminated. That way he can go try and find another NHL job if he really wants to, but I just don't see it happening. 

Just so long as the six million currently spent on Loui is gone don’t really care how it happens.  His cap hit has to disappear.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Just so long as the six million currently spent on Loui is gone don’t really care how it happens.  His cap hit has to disappear.  

I'm not clear on what happens if he gets the 3 mil on July 1st and then retires (or gets terminated), if that 3 mil goes on to our cap. Even if it does, thats not so bad given its 1/2 gone and then all gone the next year.

There's an incentive to put him in Uitca too if he changes his mind on retirement, as we'd save 1.025 of cap space vs. just a few hundred grand if we buy him out. 

Best thing for everyone, including Loui, is to take the bonus and retire. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not clear on what happens if he gets the 3 mil on July 1st and then retires (or gets terminated), if that 3 mil goes on to our cap. Even if it does, thats not so bad given its 1/2 gone and then all gone the next year.

There's an incentive to put him in Uitca too if he changes his mind on retirement, as we'd save 1.025 of cap space vs. just a few hundred grand if we buy him out. 

I think once he retires or his contact is terminated because he’s a no show, the full six million disappears.

assuming Loui’s cap goes this summer, who do we spend that on?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I think once he retires or his contact is terminated because he’s a no show, the full six million disappears.

yeah unless Buttman decides it does for some reason. 

Toffoli and some d help I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I believe it does FWIW.

But $3, $0 is better than $6, $6.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

As per Provost in the cap thread, looks like we'd still be on the hook for his bonus money, on top of the $667k x 4 years so that's probably not the out we were hoping for.

Back to reality...buyout or retention look like our best options.

And after his bonus is paid this summer, he's only owed $5m of actual cash over 2 seasons or $2.5m/year. Retain 50% and that drops to $1.25m (with only $500k of actual cash this year). Take back a +/- $1m AHL contract and that becomes basically a wash. 

So fingers crossed!

Does retention extend to actual payment of cash as well as cap hit?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think if Loui's cap did somehow disappear, we wouldn't really be adding--we'd be looking to keep more pieces than expected. I think with all the raises and LTIR room we're currently using, we'd need substantially more money to keep the team we even just currently have.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Does retention extend to actual payment of cash as well as cap hit?

Yup. Both the cap hit and the actual cash paid get divided by whatever percentage is retained. $6m cap hit at 50% = $3m hit each. $5m salary/bonus = $2.5 salary/bonus.

• Thanks 1