The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a sniper

Pete M

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

We have good shooters, what we need is a net presence. We have some guys that can fill that role too but Willie can't pull it together. 

Instead of Willie or Benning or whomever 'finding' said net presence, why doesn't a player step up and be that net presence? How hard is it for a player with a functioning brain to see that something is needed and fill that role for the team? I fail to understand the concept that we need to acquire player X to fill a void. There has got be someone within the ranks on this team/farm that can adapt to what the team's needs are. But nope, we have to draft some teenager and wait 4 years and hope they can fill some needed role and by the time he can, the team doesn't need that role anymore.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Instead of Willie or Benning or whomever 'finding' said net presence, why doesn't a player step up and be that net presence? 

Because they are also required to do other things under Willie's system. I think guys like Virtanen would step up, but if they do that and give up a rush back Willie will bench him. I think Bo would also love to do that, but he is being forced to win the face-off in our end first, then carry the puck in, and then go be a net presence? Its too much. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Because they are also required to do other things under Willie's system. I think guys like Virtanen would step up, but if they do that and give up a rush back Willie will bench him. I think Bo would also love to do that, but he is being forced to win the face-off in our end first, then carry the puck in, and then go be a net presence? Its too much. 

Not only that...he is playing the 3rd guy high and being passive...he should be hard on the forecheck and pounding the defence with hits and gaining puck possession...but like you said...he is scared to play to his strengths because he will get benched for not being defensively sound.

9 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

we need a sniper? can you be more hypocritical you turd. Lots of people feel like to get rid of Vrbata. I feel satisfaction when I see those same people whines about not having a sniper, it's so relaxing

Woot

who you calling hypocritical...who you calling turd..lol

You making me mad...be happy. do not worry...just relax...woot

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

You are just making up convenient excuses to defend your favourite players.

Blame the system all you like but you have to adapt to what is going on around you to be a successful player.

If you are asked to be defensively sound and you continue to not be, what do you think will happen? Start with mastering the basics that the coaching staff wants. Let's take Mitch Marner for example. Why has he been successful so far? Babcock trusts him defensively enough that he has earned the ability to be able to create offense. He adapted to what the coach wanted. Fairly simple isn't it?

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

You are just making up convenient excuses to defend your favourite players.

Blame the system all you like but you have to adapt to what is going on around you to be a successful player.

If you are asked to be defensively sound and you continue to not be, what do you think will happen? Start with mastering the basics that the coaching staff wants. Let's take Mitch Marner for example. Why has he been successful so far? Babcock trusts him defensively enough that he has earned the ability to be able to create offense. He adapted to what the coach wanted. Fairly simple isn't it?

Are you really holding up this years Leafs as an example of being defensively responsible? 

Hey its just my 2 cents. I think a different coach and system brings us out of the slump. Our guys are showing a ton of effort. 

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Are you really holding up this years Leafs as an example of being defensively responsible? 

Hey its just my 2 cents. I think a different coach and system brings us out of the slump. Our guys are showing a ton of effort. 

I was using Marner as an example of adapting to be successful. He has earned a spot on the team by earning the trsut of his coach.

Instead, what we have here is most fans just wanting to gift spots to rookies who aren't willing to listen to the coaching staff's message.

On 01/07/2016 at 3:19 PM, Pete M said:

Our top line just got older for a long time...

We need and always have needed secondary scoring...

We still need a true sniper on the second line...similar to Kessel on the Pens 3rd line (now that is scoring depth).

A team plays against the Canucks' top line and lets them play on the perimeter thereby shutting them down. 

Top line shut down...who is going to score?...we need speed, skill and a sniper on the 2nd line to compliment the top line.

I don't see the defence adding to the offence.

Right now...it sucks to be a Canuck fan.

We could've taken Tkatchuk like we all thought we were getting...

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Instead, what we have here is most fans just wanting to gift spots to rookies who aren't willing to listen to the coaching staff's message.

And people who know nothing about systems thinking they can one-up an NHL coaching staff.

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

from the Memorial Cup Champions, the London Knights, the Vancouver Canucks select 5th overall............

..........Oli Joulevi

woot!

This transaction may be worst than the LE nightmare, if Joulevi fails to live up to expectations and Tkatchuk becomes the power forward that we all know he will become.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

And people who know nothing about systems thinking they can one-up an NHL coaching staff.

how are those systems working for the Canucks so far...it is obvious what needs to happen and the Canucks sign LE...talk about people knowing nothing.

2 hours ago, hearditall said:

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

from the Memorial Cup Champions, the London Knights, the Vancouver Canucks select 5th overall............

..........Oli Joulevi

woot!

This transaction may be worst than the LE nightmare, if Joulevi fails to live up to expectations and Tkatchuk becomes the power forward that we all know he will become.

Who are the "we all" you guys are referring to?

You guys are stuck in a goldfish perspective right now.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Who are the "we all" you guys are referring to?

You guys are stuck in a goldfish perspective right now.

for JBs sake and all Canuck fans, I hope Joulevi works out better than we could imagine.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah.  lol.

if you can't name them, you sure as hell can't one-up them ;)

tell us about Willie's systems.

Oh, I thought you were referring to no systems...you were being serious...yikes...pardon me for laughing.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah.  lol.

if you can't name them, you sure as hell can't one-up them ;)

tell us about Willie's systems.

If I told you ...I would have to kill you...so I will leave it to WD to figure it out...there are 101 ways to skin a cat...let me say this, you start by looking at the players you have and work to their strengths...not supress them.

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If I told you ...I would have to kill you...so I will leave it to WD to figure it out...there are 101 ways to skin a cat...let me say this, you start by looking at the players you have and work to their strengths...not supress them.

yawn.

that's what I thought.

you, kos and s'all should get together and take NHL systems 101 together - and then come back and school us before you move on to replacing an NHL coach.

Archived