The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Discussion} Griffin Reinhart for Cheap??

Has anyone noticed Canuck fans are turning into leaf fans? Seriously, every single player that is waived or might be available all of a sudden post after post about how we should get him or a trade proposal is made The guy just got waived from the worst group of dmen in the league, yet people on here are already saying lets get him green will do wonders for him etc etc how about we focus on the prospects we have. I know were not the team from 2011 ,but are we so bad that we need to start taking Edmonton's castoffs? Griif Yak Pokemon from Detroit when we already have way too many what ifs as it is  That being said I mean no disrespect to the op.  Just the ridiculous posts that followed Subban for Reinhart? a guy we have groomed and has shown way more desire, heart, even tho he had nowhere near the pedigree Hey Pavlic was waived let's grab him too.

16 hours ago, coastal1 said:

The fact that we do not have 50 contracts now is irrelevant in the sense that if we pick up his contract it is one less contract that we can pick up. The point is there is a limit to the number of contracts so choices have to be made. But that is a good point that the Oilers will probably want a fifth round pick for him, ONE YEAR AFTER THEY GAVE UP A FIRST AND A SECOND FOR HIM! That right there says all you need to know about Chiarelli. By the way, doesn't Larson look terrible.

Not irrelevant at all, in fact. We have 47 (or did at least, not sure what was accounted for with players being sent back to junior with the slide rule and all that) and will probably end up with 48-49. If we lose someone (say one of Rodin, Tryamkin or even Larsen - since you brought him up - back to Europe) then that frees up another. If we don't sign any PTOs then there's even less of a log jam.

Sure, we want to keep some space for trades that aren't 1 for 1 contract-wise, or for the college UFAs next year, and of course we can give the Oilers back a throw in contract (who have 49 contracts listed, so they must be panicking if it's as serious as you mention) but it's hardly dire straits that we couldn't possibly pick him up unless we sent a contract back. In fact, it might be something the Oilers insist on since they're closer to the 50-contract limit than us.

43 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Not irrelevant at all, in fact. We have 47 (or did at least, not sure what was accounted for with players being sent back to junior with the slide rule and all that) and will probably end up with 48-49. If we lose someone (say one of Rodin, Tryamkin or even Larsen - since you brought him up - back to Europe) then that frees up another. If we don't sign any PTOs then there's even less of a log jam.

Sure, we want to keep some space for trades that aren't 1 for 1 contract-wise, or for the college UFAs next year, and of course we can give the Oilers back a throw in contract (who have 49 contracts listed, so they must be panicking if it's as serious as you mention) but it's hardly dire straits that we couldn't possibly pick him up unless we sent a contract back. In fact, it might be something the Oilers insist on since they're closer to the 50-contract limit than us.

Don't we have a few that will slide this year as well or are we past that point?

On 10/8/2016 at 9:42 AM, Warhippy said:

OK, going to make this as simple as possible

22 years old.  6 foot 4.5 inches tall.  221 pounds.  Former 4th overall pick that was misused in New York then shuttled off to Edmonton where young players go to die.

He is a North Van boy who can actually skate VERY well and while not stand out amazing at any 1 point on defense was showing as a junior to be solid all around thus justifying his 4th overall status.

He is or should be cheap, he is local...should Benning try to pick him up?  Maybe see if we can entice his brothers over later as well with a home and bloodlines offer?

Edit** Wasn't aware he was still Oilers property (poor kid) edited title and thread for content

This is not the local boy d-man you are looking for...

obiwan_Reinhart.jpg

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Is he any good though?  He's an EXTREMELY soft player, who provides no offence.  And he really doesn't skate very well, no matter what someone else posted.  Alf says PASS.  We want the other Reinhart - Sammy Boy.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Don't we have a few that will slide this year as well or are we past that point?

I hadn't gone through them all, but went back to look and right away there's Juolevi's contract still in the 47, and Brisebois. I don't see anyone else who'd qualify for the slide (like any overseas players). Comparatively, the Oilers look like they have two 19 year olds back in Junior, so we'd have 45 contracts, and the Oilers 47. 45 give us a lot of room to sign a PTO and swap a low draft pick for Reinhart if we wanted to.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is he any good though?  He's an EXTREMELY soft player, who provides no offence.  And he really doesn't skate very well, no matter what someone else posted.  Alf says PASS.  We want the other Reinhart - Sammy Boy.  

I said earlier I would not pay very much to get him. If it cost us a 5th or less, I'd consider it as he might end up no better than an AHL guy. The other Reinhart will cost a lot more than a 5th, so that's a whole other topic.

Just now, elvis15 said:

I hadn't gone through them all, but went back to look and right away there's Juolevi's contract still in the 47, and Brisebois. I don't see anyone else who'd qualify for the slide (like any overseas players). Comparatively, the Oilers look like they have two 19 year olds back in Junior, so we'd have 45 contracts, and the Oilers 47. 45 give us a lot of room to sign a PTO and swap a low draft pick for Reinhart if we wanted to.

I said earlier I would not pay very much to get him. If it cost us a 5th or less, I'd consider it as he might end up no better than an AHL guy. The other Reinhart will cost a lot more than a 5th, so that's a whole other topic.

Cassels for Griffin?  Subban?

7 hours ago, elvis15 said:

All I said is when people say yes pick him up, it's a free asset, they have to consider the 50 contract limit. We have 47 and you act as this is miles away from 50. Pick up Reinhart and now it is 48, two spots left. You seem to think that is a huge amount of room, i say it is not.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Cassels for Griffin?  Subban?

Too much for me. Cassels could still be a player, and even Subban could hold more value if he can solidify his defensive game since his offence is so strong. I'd rather have either in Utica at this point than Reinhart probably.

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

All I said is when people say yes pick him up, it's a free asset, they have to consider the 50 contract limit. We have 47 and you act as this is miles away from 50. Pick up Reinhart and now it is 48, two spots left. You seem to think that is a huge amount of room, i say it is not.

Sure, but when we're so far off the limit it's not that big a consideration. Which is likely why people are saying it's a free asset we could pick up (which he's not since we'd have to trade for him, but you get the meaning). On top of that, it certainly read to me as if you were saying we're right at that 50 contract limit, which we aren't.

And I said we have 47 before checking for junior slide contracts, which I later clarified there were two of, so we're at 45. That is a lot of space. Even if we were closer there's often ways to make room by moving an AHL'er no longer in our plans that could help another team's farm system for a pick. Then there's next year, where Burrows and Miller are gone, we'll lose a player in the expansion draft, and we'll likely have moved on from Larsen and easily have a couple of AHL'ers we won't re-sign.

Also, as I said, you have to consider the other team and the room they have to if you can get away with sending a contract back. That won't happen with the Oilers, who have two more contracts than us any way you count it. We might get a deal just from the fact that we'd be taking Reinhart's contract without giving them one back.

I'm not really in favour of the move unless the price is really low, but saying it's a free pickup isn't literal. Of course it costs us in contract space, the salary and potentially cap of the SPC, and even a developmental spot from another player. But this isn't a situation where you'd have to correct someone because it'd leave us short in some way as a result.

So why is Chiarella such a media darling?  McDavid and Puljujarvi fell into his lap.  He signed Lucic because no one else would offer him that term.  He has added Kassian, Maroon and Talbot. 

In 3 deals he gave away Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, a 16th overall, and 33rd overall for Adam Larson, Griffin Reinhart, Zach Pochiro, and a 3rd round pick.  

If Jim Benning did any of those deals, the media and fans would crucify him.  His Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson and Phillip Larsen deals look pretty damn good against Chiarelli's.

In JB I trust!

9 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

So why is Chiarella such a media darling?  McDavid and Puljujarvi fell into his lap.  He signed Lucic because no one else would offer him that term.  He has added Kassian, Maroon and Talbot. 

In 3 deals he gave away Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, a 16th overall, and 33rd overall for Adam Larson, Griffin Reinhart, Zach Pochiro, and a 3rd round pick.  

If Jim Benning did any of those deals, the media and fans would crucify him.  His Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson and Phillip Larsen deals look pretty damn good against Chiarelli's.

In JB I trust!

Great summary,

poor Reinhart went from one circus to another.

Archived