The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

8 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Busted out the cast iron wok...seared up some veggies and tried out making cauliflower rice as I am cutting carbs.  Worked out well.  I wouldn't have the 'rice' on its own but 2 cups worth added to 5 cups of meat and veggies worked out well. 

I want to get some sprouted brown rice but couldn't find any in town.  

So what's the big deal with carbs these days?

Whole grains are carbs. Fruit and veg essentially turn into carbs. I don't get it.

It's ignorance on my part, I'm not asking to be a dick, I just want to know.

I remember the low carb whatever diet, in the 90's, the guy died of a heart attack diet.

Beer and whisky, sorry, any alcohol is a carb.

I could eat chili forever if it wasn't for cheese biscuits / buns / scones. Same could be said for any pasta sauce / filling without the pasta. 

Pretty sure I'd be a sad, fat sack of $&!# if it wasn't for carbs

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Whole grains are carbs. Fruit and veg essentially turn into carbs. I don't get it.

I remember the low carb whatever diet, in the 90's, the guy died of a heart attack diet.

I could eat chili forever if it wasn't for cheese biscuits / buns / scones. Same could be said for any pasta sauce / filling without the pasta. 

Well apparently I have high blood sugar (not diabetes but could be down the road...runs in the family...both sides...native blood...) so limiting refined carbs is more what I am doing.  No more white anything (flour, rice sugar). I am more just focused on keeping it around 150 grams a day of non fiber carbs. I can fill up on veggies so wanted to try the cauliflower thing. So there are different types of carbs and certain ones react differently and affect blood sugar accordingly. I eat berries and plain greek yogurt for breakfast 4-5 times a week...but berries are full of fiber and antioxidants and the digesting is slowed by the yogurt and roasted oats (essentially sugar free granola) and nuts I add. 

Also just hit 40 and wanted to be healthier in general. I will of course still be drinking alcohol but honestly my consumption there is way down the past few years already.  It used to be 2-3 every day and 15+ on a weekend day.  Now its 4-5 a mid week and every few weeks more. The full on binge drinking is a monthly thing now outside of summer. $&!# I drink wine with dinner more than cracking that after work beer. Never been a solo drinker much. 

I just bought some real expensive almost and sprouted grain flours....biscuits and corn bread are recipes I am going to perfect...I need my cheese and jalapeno corn bread...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
On 2/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, Gnarcore said:

Well apparently I have high blood sugar (not diabetes but could be down the road...runs in the family...both sides...native blood...) so limiting refined carbs is more what I am doing.  No more white anything (flour, rice sugar). I am more just focused on keeping it around 150 grams a day of non fiber carbs. I can fill up on veggies so wanted to try the cauliflower thing. So there are different types of carbs and certain ones react differently and affect blood sugar accordingly. I eat berries and plain greek yogurt for breakfast 4-5 times a week...but berries are full of fiber and antioxidants and the digesting is slowed by the yogurt and roasted oats (essentially sugar free granola) and nuts I add. 

Also just hit 40 and wanted to be healthier in general. I will of course still be drinking alcohol but honestly my consumption there is way down the past few years already.  It used to be 2-3 every day and 15+ on a weekend day.  Now its 4-5 a mid week and every few weeks more. The full on binge drinking is a monthly thing now outside of summer. $&!# I drink wine with dinner more than cracking that after work beer. Never been a solo drinker much. 

I just bought some real expensive almost and sprouted grain flours....biscuits and corn bread are recipes I am going to perfect...I need my cheese and jalapeno corn bread...

Good on you for taking a healthier approach.

I'm more like the Loui Eriksson of healthy eating.

• Haha 2
On 2/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, luckylager said:

Thai style coconut curry, chicken satay, jasmine rice and "flash fried veg" (basically chop suey)

I made legit indian style chicken curry on Monday other than I added carrots to my sauce puree with fresh tomatoes. Man did it turn out well!  Picked up some brown basmati rice to go with it.  Loading up more on the good curry than the rice where it used to be the other way around ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I made legit indian style chicken curry on Monday other than I added carrots to my sauce puree with fresh tomatoes. Man did it turn out well!  Picked up some brown basmati rice to go with it.  Loading up more on the good curry than the rice where it used to be the other way around ;)

Nice! 

I love making (and eating) S Asian food.

It's funny you mention you went Indian style curry because I was very close to making chicken tikka, but during prep had the crushing realization I was out of ginger and obviously had to opt for a Thai (style) Coconut Curry. I admit it wasn't full Thai because I don't usually have bamboo shoots just sitting in my crisper. They were the missing ingredient. 

It was still deadly.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Nice! 

I love making (and eating) S Asian food.

It's funny you mention you went Indian style curry because I was very close to making chicken tikka, but during prep had the crushing realization I was out of ginger and obviously had to opt for a Thai (style) Coconut Curry. I admit it wasn't full Thai because I don't usually have bamboo shoots just sitting in my crisper. They were the missing ingredient. 

It was still deadly.

I've been jonesing for a legit papaya salad.....   We don't have a thai place here anymore but 3 indian joints.  I get one to order me in spices at times or have indian friends pick em up when they do their run to Vancouver. 

22 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I've been jonesing for a legit papaya salad.....   We don't have a thai place here anymore but 3 indian joints.  I get one to order me in spices at times or have indian friends pick em up when they do their run to Vancouver. 

Still just Nesters, IGA and Grocery Store in good ol' Whis? 

Fairway Market has everything ethnic. Well everything I've ever needed at least.

Papaya salad eh... That stuff has an amazing ability to settle the stomach. It helped me recover from a couple bouts of food poisoning and regular upset stomach / hungover AF during my time in SE Asia.

I've never missed it until you just mentioned it. Hmm

40 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Still just Nesters, IGA and Grocery Store in good ol' Whis? 

Fairway Market has everything ethnic. Well everything I've ever needed at least.

Papaya salad eh... That stuff has an amazing ability to settle the stomach. It helped me recover from a couple bouts of food poisoning and regular upset stomach / hungover AF during my time in SE Asia.

I've never missed it until you just mentioned it. Hmm

Was my fave road side snack all throughout SE Asia....  

We have an Independent, Creekside Market (owners of the 24 hour store down there opened it) and Olives now selling groceries with the latter being high end stuff. 

• Thanks 1
On 2/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, luckylager said:

Best diet is the one that is balanced, all these fad diets are $&!# and way to make money.

Its like gluten free, nowdays everyone has gluten allergy.

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Best diet is the one that is balanced, all these fad diets are $&!# and way to make money.

Its like gluten free, nowdays everyone has gluten allergy.

Yes the best diet is balanced but with choosing the right types of carbs is key instead white and refined sugars, flour and rice. Well I don't use sugar at all anymore....thankfully like my coffee with just cream :p

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Yes the best diet is balanced but with choosing the right types of carbs is key instead white and refined sugars, flour and rice. Well I don't use sugar at all anymore....thankfully like my coffee with just cream :p

You gotta do what works best for you and above mentioned foods are not healthy indeed.

Moderation is a key and many people don’t practice that.

Having a Coca Cola once in a while is ok, drinking soda every day is a terrible idea.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Interesting to note - lactose is carcinogenic...

But so is everything these days. 

The thing I love most about "bad carbs" is that they don't negatively effect the flavour of the sauces given to them.

I don't enjoy the flavour of whole grain pasta or brown rice. In fact, I find both ruin everything they touch. Actually ruin. 

Delicate subtle flavours and textures overpowered by a bitter pile of grainy blandness.

I eat a balanced diet. I'm 40, 6'1, 190lbs. I'm active.

I have high blood pressure though, but it's hereditary (much like high glucose levels).

Low bad cholesterol, high on the good side.

All organ function running like I'm 30.

And I hate most whole grain stuff. 

Sammich bread though - for whatever reason I love heavy, hearty, grainy bread for my sammies. White bread can &^@# right off unless it's a baguette. I &^@#ing love a good baguette

Edited by luckylager
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Interesting to note - lactose is carcinogenic...

But so is everything these days. 

The thing I love most about "bad carbs" is that they don't negatively effect the flavour of the sauces given to them.

I don't enjoy the flavour of whole grain pasta or brown rice. In fact, I find both ruin everything they touch. Actually ruin. 

Delicate subtle flavours and textures overpowered by a bitter pile of grainy blandness.

I eat a balanced diet. I'm 40, 6'1, 190lbs. I'm active.

I have high blood pressure though, but it's hereditary (much like high glucose levels).

Low bad cholesterol, high on the good side.

All organ function running like I'm 30.

And I hate most whole grain stuff. 

Sammich bread though - for whatever reason I love heavy, hearty, grainy bread for my sammies. White bread can &^@# right off unless it's a baguette. I &^@#ing love a good baguette

I don't mind brown rice or whole grains. Whole wheat pasta sucks. I've only eaten sprouted grain bread for years already....as I prefer it and other multigrain breads....   Except sourdough for sandwiches....  I love sourdough...  

I have a massive lower body with huge quads and calves so pure weight BMI was never something considered even when I was super fit. A desk job didn't help but am quite active now and will continue to be. I am really looking forward to summer and doing a bunch of outdoors recreation like I haven't in some years.  

That and being way more agile on the motorbike :emot-parrot: