The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Should we cut kesler some slack?

Mike Ross

Will always respect Kesler's heart and warrior spirit and in turn accept that he has a chip on his shoulder and sometimes over the top emotions.

Guys like Kesler, Bieksa and others carried the Canucks on their back to the Cup final even though we had some practically no-show players that were missing in action when it counted they wouldn't be stopped and I'll always respect them for that no matter what!

Move on, turn the page. Thanks for your service. 

But I'd have a higher opinion of him, if he was more open to give a list of teams to be traded to. Not just one. 

People throw terms like "warrior" out way too often. I think he was far too emotional. He was better as he got older. 

He was a good player. Still is. Let's leave it at that. 

What a player does off the ice, and on the ice... the first doesn't matter a heck of a lot.

18 goals 21 assists... 39 points... Kesler leads the Ducks.

Not a leader?  Not a valuable player?  Looks pretty good to me.

He plays hard wherever he goes.

Still I think the trade was a good one... and I like the players the Canucks have gotten for him.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:07 PM, Mike Ross said:

I know half of you want to rip my head off after the title of this thread alone but the question still stands.

I was listening to tsn and the question for lebrun was if the Canucks were respected around the league. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lebrun-sedins-get-the-respect-from-other-nhl-players-1.654346

Apparently LeBron asked kesler about skilled players he faces and what he does to stop them. When asked about the sedins, he paused and said,"I love those guys"

(He said more which I really recommend you listen)

I know we have a negative feeling about him since he requested the trade but maybe we shouldn't. 

Hockey is a business and I believe kesler loved this city and it's team with his whole heart but his mindset was win now and when he saw Vancouver's window closing he thought it was his time to leave.

Before the trade kesler was one of the team favourites and was a beast. He played through injuries to get our team into the playoffs. And in the playoffs he sometimes single handedly won games for us.

Trust me, I never liked him after the trade but I got to admit this has really changed my perspective on him. 

Have I changed anyone's opinion on here? 

He is an idiot in my eyes and I don't understand how some one like that takes runs at players but not very many seek him out and do the same...especially the canucks..

I think later on I just did not like his pompus / errogant attitude!

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't blame Kesler for wanting to leave. I'll get blasted for this but given the choice I wouldn't play in Vancouver.

I still hate him though. He is a good player but he's dirty, dives, and can't back it up.

exactly dirty dives and cant back it up the turtle man!

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Nothing against him  He saw how badly Gillis had destroyed the team and realized that it was impossible to fix the damage within his prime years.

I'm sitting here trying to decide how to agree with you but without not sharing how tired of what this team was about before Gillis even arrived, THAT was lame in every sense of the word. Lame being nothing more than mediocre, occasionally very good against the best teams but never consistent at it so ho-hum another year of hopes dashed yearrrrrrrrrrr after yearrrrrrrrrrr after yearrrrrrr  (boring!)  ugh...

I'm glad that team is gone, it wasn't much to begin with and add lack of farm depth... At least MG and Benning tried and are trying to rectify it finally...  we're not there yet but in the right direction now, NOT settling for mediocre as in years past.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What a player does off the ice, and on the ice... the first doesn't matter a heck of a lot.

18 goals 21 assists... 39 points... Kesler leads the Ducks.

Not a leader?  Not a valuable player?  Looks pretty good to me.

He plays hard wherever he goes.

Still I think the trade was a good one... and I like the players the Canucks have gotten for him.

Exactly I am hockey fan I don't care what he does off the ice. People need to get over him asking for a trade and utilizing the rules laid out by his contract. Its still a business and that's why they have contracts. I sure wish he was still around to show our young players how to play hard night in and night out.

Just now, EdgarM said:

Exactly I am hockey fan I don't care what he does off the ice. People need to get over him asking for a trade and utilizing the rules laid out by his contract. Its still a business and that's why they have contracts. I sure wish he was still around to show our young players how to play hard night in and night out.

pretty much, thankfully Bo has taken the lead and doing it by example which is refreshing hey? 

Pretty sure there's a good reason why he was never considered enough of a leader to be captain. He let his emotions get the best of him and he was a very selfish  centre who forgot his line mates and tried to go end to end by him self all the time. The one Nashville playoff series was the highlight of his career.

Nope.

I didn't like him when he was a Canuck. Everyone in the league hated the Canucks when he was here. Diving, whining, arrogance, and Kesler was at the centre of it. He killed the Canucks brand and its taken a while to get it back.

I guess everyone has forgotten about all his personal off-ice bs as well like treating teammates like garbage, sleeping with teammates wives, etc etc.

He was a good player but hate everything he represents. Very poor character, which is why he never wore a letter. I was very happy when he left and will never cheer for him.

Respect the guy for coming out and saying this organization now sucks and I want to be on a better team????  Yeah I don't think so. Would people respect Trevor Linden the same if he came out and said this not a chance, he buried his own hole here that's his fault.

I'll give the guy credit where credit is due, his playing ability. He is a good player on the ice, who does a good job shutting down opposing top players, and producing offensively when he can. His diving antics were ugly though and didn't enjoy this part of his game.

He also had a big ego which I believe was a bit of a cancer in the room. Also his nude photoshoot thing was a joke imo, your a hockey player not a freaking model. In the end wasn't a big fan of the guy anyways, so was actually happy he was traded, but no way I will cut him any slack.

Archived