The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

February '17 Mix Exchange [Closed]- Mixes in by Tuesday!

thejazz97

13 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Why don't you tag me I miss this every time 

3 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

If you can get me a mix by Tuesday, I'll make an exception for you - even though I said no exceptions :P 

Lb

if you want my spot take it. I'm going to be too busy to get this done for tuesdayTuesday

2 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

You're in if you want to be. I wasn't sure what the deal was between you and riffraff

27 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'll whip one up, just make sure you give it to someone that can handle deep music with many dark layers 

I'll see if I can get er done.

dont wanna Benning the mix tape deadline.

Dainty Kane - Show Stopper...5/10

Somewhere between Fifth Harmony and The Pussycat Dollz.  So it has to be 5/10

The DOC - The Formula...8/10

I actually never heard this before and I'm embarrassed.  Pleasantly surprised and kinda cool for its era.  Dope man.

Borat - Throw The Jew Down The Well...5/7

His performance at ______________ was a lot better, but I enjoyed this rendition.

N'Sync - Gone...7/10

These harmonies are great and the guitar is soothing.  RnB should return to these roots, although I dig PBRnB and the state of some of the newer artists in the genre.

Alkaline - Formula...2/10

I heard his new $&!# is pathetic and his contract should probably get shredded.  Admittedly, not a fan of reggaeton/dancehall or whatever this would be classified as.

Fetty Wap - Again...7/10

I liked this.  Sounds really similar to his other songs but kinda catchy.  Good for him.

Ur Boy Bangz - D.Trump Trumpets Remix...11/10

Greatest diss track since Back2Back.  And its Bangs so...ya.

Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely...8/10

Heavy throwback man.  And I appreciate the guitar and harmonies.

Tupac - All Eyez On Me...9/10

Straight classic out here.  I always thought the production on this was masterful.  Of course, the flow is great.

Kendrick Lamar - Money Trees...9/10

Loved this when I saw him a few years ago.  Great song, among many fantastic tracks he's done.  

I'd be surprised if this isn't Kaz's mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8kI9lGDSvU
Eminem - "Bad Guy" ---> 2/5
Rap, hip-hop is not really my cup of tea, but I did like the lyrics, the chorus is even better, the music is weird though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4giE9QhJ48

Snow Patrol - "Make This Go On Forever" ---> 4/5
Soft music with piano in it. Great lyrics, nice music and I really liked the voice of the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_7jr7wxa1U

Cold - "Wasted Years" ---> 3/5
Another soft, acoustic song. Not bad, but not as catchy as the Snow Patrol song. The lyrics are pretty bitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGmIL2gtieU

Pink Floyd - "Young Lust" ---> 5/5
I like the Pink Floyd, especially the early Syd Barrett era, after that they became boring for me. Of course I like a few songs from Dark Side, Animals or Wall but these albums are just too progressive for me. However, this song is kinda badass. It's catchy, the guitars are huge, and it features the unmistakable Gilmour voice. I think I'm going to give this album another try in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBvwcH4XX6U

Rammstein - "Mein Teil" ---> 3,5/5
Big shift in genre. ::D Musically this song is very good, it has a thick sound and a catchy chorus. A good mixture of melody and headbanging metal. It's a shame they're German. Funny videoclip btw. In a sick way. ::D I reckon they were laughing their asses off while making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwGWRrIlz68

Aqualung - "Strange and Beautiful" ---> 3/5
Another piano song. :P You cannot hate these songs, but if you're not in the mood they kinda sound boring and sound the same, but it's a decent song. Heartbreaking lyrics. Singer has a good voice. Nice outro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiALoVqzAVo

Converge - "All We Love We Leave Behind" ---> 1/5
Who put this mix together? ::D One minute I'm listening to a sad acoustic song and I'm contemplating suicide then comes this? ::D Wow, I don't like it. This is an uptempo song, mixture of metal and punk (?). It starts promising, but then the guy starts singing... And I can't say anything good about it.:P I'd like to quote Forrest Gump: " ...and that's all i have to say about that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1DQr5dKW8

Muse - "The Handler" ---> 4/5

Muse. They're good. Though I don't really know them, every now and then I catch a song from the band on music channels or in movies. The vocals are superb, this guy has a very unique voice. The guitarsolo is the only part I'm not fond of. But overall it's a great song. Nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm3LE0eX9aY

Margot & the Nuclear So and So's - "A Children's Crusade on Acid" ---> 4,5/5
The roller coaster ride continues... ::D Another soft song. It starts with piano but in the second half a distorted guitar comes in, making it very interesting. Exciting indie/psychedelic-ish (rock) song. The refrain is my favourite part, from 3:09 "But the children lose their minds, In such uncertain times ,The children lose their minds ,In such uncertain times ,In such uncertain times, In such uncertain times" To me, best moment on the mixtape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opoPu1V3gBg&list=LLZ-mMTyWcuEnAbXVq0txrKQ&index=88

The Velvet Teen - "Noi Boi" ---> 4,5/5

Awesome song, I really like the keyboard. Rich sound, good indie vocals. One of the best songs on this list.

Overall 3,5/5

Good mixtape, fav songs are "Young Lust" and "Noi Boi", fav part is the second half of "A Children's Crusade on Acid"

So now I should guess whose mix was this. :P Since I don't really know the participants, I don't know how should I choose. But judging by the great amount of soft, acoustic songs on the list I think this mix was sent in by a girl. That leaves Thrusty and Spoderman according to their profile information and a couple of others who are not telling their gender. ::D I'm totally clueless, so I'm just gonna pick Thrusty.

“Around the World” – Red Hot Chili Peppers

I’m a California girl born and bred, so I don’t think I’m allowed to dislike RCHP. With that said, this isn’t my favorite song of theirs. It is really easy to sing to even if you have an awful voice like me, so I appreciate that, and I do love the guitar riff at the beginning. I just feel like this song is a little to “SoCal surfer”-ish for my liking. 3/5

“One of These Days” – Wu-Tang Clan

The first thing that stood out to be about this song was the hook. I don’t know if it’s sampled, but I love it. The singer has a very rich, soulful voice. Now on to the rap part: I’m not a big hip-hop/rap fan at all but I’ve got love for Wu-Tang. My boyfriend is really into good hip-hop and this sounds like something he’s love. The rap bits flow really well, and I couldn’t help but keep nodding my head along. The lyrics didn’t really seem to have any real message, which was disappointing. I wouldn’t shut this song off though.  4/5

“Jump in the Fire” – Metallica

Somehow I had never heard this song before. It started with some pretty strong and intense guitar, which was awesome. It immediately gave me an early-Metallica vibe (very heavy and hard, if that makes sense) which was justified when I looked the song up and saw it was released in the ‘80’s. This is the type of music I listen to on the local rock station during long drives. I feel cool listening to it lol. 3.5/5

“Potholderz” – MF Doom

Ok, I am still not a big hip-hop fan, although I can usually tolerate MF Doom. I like the rhythm with which he raps, even though I feel like he’s always talking some nonsense. I guess my problem is I like music with a message, and I feel like he’s just saying stuff to be saying it. Not a fan. 2/5

“Call Ticketron” – Run the Jewels

My first thought was “Wow, this guy sounds like Andre Nickatina”.  That’s neither good nor bad, just an observation. Given his voice, I was shocked to see El-P is a chubby, redheaded white guy! I can dig it though, music is for everyone. I like how fast he rapped, it kept my attention. Killer Mike always cracks me up, I actually found this whole song hilarious. I felt like it was some nonsense too, but didn’t get the impression it was supposed to be serious in the first place. It’s a little over the top with the self-congratulatory lyrics. It was super catchy, and pretty danceable. I will have to check out more of their stuff. 5/5

“Twist my Fingaz” – YG

This song is the standard rap-trash you hear on the radio today. Sounds like the same old crap everyone else it putting out. Sometimes I feel like rappers these days get paid by the song, and just pump out as much garbage as they can. I looked up the lyrics and still don’t really understand the point of this song. I listened to almost five minutes of this guys annoying voice, and somehow he never really said anything. This hurt my ears. 1/5

“On a Plain” – Nirvana

This is another song I find hard to listen to. It’s so….whiny? I don’t know, but it’s not aurally appealing. Sounds like a whiny high schooler’s band trying to be edgy. I like a lot of Nirvana, but not this. 1/5

“Nice Guys Finish Last” – Green Day

Is it terrible I don’t love Green Day? I’ve never been much of a fan, and songs like this are the reason why. It just has a weird sound; I can’t describe it. Maybe it’s the goofy voice Billy Joe Armstrong is using (he doesn’t sound this way on every song). It’s like a weird accent he puts on, kinda like late ‘90’s Eminem did those silly voices. Also, the lyrics themselves are too whiny. 2/5

“Braille” -  AB-soul, Bas

C’mon man, you are killing me with this rap. L This song start with some weird extremely deep/slowed down voice and follows that up with bizarre rapping/chanting, which ended up being the hook somehow. Another song where I don’t really see the point/understand what the guy is trying to say. It wasn’t horrible, but I would literally never ever play this again voluntarily in my life. 2/5

“Tush” – ZZ Top

In comparison to almost everything else on this list this is much more my speed. It also has goofy lyrics, but at least it makes sense what the singer is trying to relay (plot twist, the “tush” he’s looking for is exactly what you think it is). It’s a bit like a harder-rocking country-ish sound. Not my taste, but I wouldn’t change the station if this came on the radio. 3/5

“Sweet Hitch-Hiker” – Creedence Clearwater Revival

I know a few CCR songs, and this sounded just like all the other ones I’ve heard from them. Another one that’s not my taste, it’s like a more classic rock-ish sound which I don’t really listen too much. Not my favorite but not my least favorite. Just ok. 3/5

Overall score: 3/5

Run the Jewels far and away was the highlight of this mix. They had the only song I chose to replay again and again. I will definitely listen to more of their stuff. I can’t honestly say that about anyone else on this playlist.  

I’m gonna guess this is hatedkid666’s mix simply because he seems like a hip-hop/rap fan and that’s what most of this was.

Santana - Into the Night ft. Chad Kroeger

Chad Kroeger looks like the guy that played Kylo Ren :P. It's got a nice vibe, great guitar. Not one I'd really download or search up to listen to again, but would listen if it came onto the radio. 3/5

Set it Off - Why Worry

I like the chorus, but other than that, the guy's voice kinda feels weird. Gives off a bit of Hedley vibes. 3/5

Wiz Khalifa - Black and Yellow

Classic. Not the biggest Khalifa fan but I'd bump this. 4/5

Kanye West - Mercy

Ayeeeeee love me some Kanye. Between the sample of Fuzzy Jones and the sample of Scarface and the list of artists, this is a top song. 4.5/5

Kanye West & Jay Z - Ni**as in Paris

Okay, so take the awesomeness of Kanye and add Jay Z. Two of the top artists in the industry creating yet another classic song. Not as much a fan of the live vocals, but the added effects to the track make it pretty awesome. 4.5/5

Afroman - Because I Got High

Sounds like a stoner song. Is a stoner song. Not the biggest fan. 2/5

K Camp - Lil Bit

Not the biggest fan of the lyrics, but it's pretty catchy. 3.5/5

K Camp - Slum Anthem

Again, not really my thing. Seems pretty catchy but pretty repetitive. 2/5

Drake - One Dance

Not the biggest Drake fan. Catchy, but just something's a bit off. 3.5/5

Fetty Wap - RGF Island

Not usually a Fetty Wap fan, but this is nice. 4.5/5

Ty Dolla $ign - Wavy

Content is lacking... tries to be catchy. Production is okay. 2.5/5

Getter - Head Splitter

Not bad for a dubstep song. I mean, there's no lyrics really, but it's kinda soothing. 3.5/5

I know it's Lilburrows because I handed them all out :P Overall, not a bad mix. Few songs that weren't my favourite, but hey, everyone's got different tastes.

1. 3/10 I think Kanye's music is about as awesome as gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe...it won't ruin my day, but I sure don't want it hanging around long.

2. 5/10 I think the wurlitzer swirl on the synth is a bit much, doesn't give the song enough cohesion. 

3. 3/10 Yes, finally some super auto-tune drenched vocals for the whole song...always the mark of a talented artist. It's like ketchup people, you use a little for flavour, a lot for the sugar if you're a child.

4. 6/10 I've heard this band a few times, this track isn't one of my favs, but it's not without its charm.

5. 4/10 No melody on the vocals, super bland & boring rap.

6. 5/10 I dig this tune a bit, but it also suffers from monotony. 

7. 6/10 Catchy chorus.

8. 7.5/10 Cool song with some fun pop elements neatly stuffed in an indie rock sound.

9. 8/10 Yeah, some 90's hip-hop. Hits me right in the feels.

10. 7/10 Fun melodies fo' sho.

11. 4/10 This kinda rhyme stylin' puts me to sleep faster then 3rd period French.

I feel like this playlist could've used a bit more rap and/or hip-hop. The genre was very under-represented.

I'm gonna guess...Jazz?

Childish Gambino - Redbone. 

Don't like the vocals, it's not catchy but it is a nice background filler. Something I'd listen to while taking a dump to relax my bowels 3/5

Blur - Trailerpark. 

I can't imagine how a song like this could ever be stuck in your head unless you were high on bath salts. 0/5

Lil Uzi Vert. - you was right. 

This little creep annoys the hell out of me. If it wasn't for autotune and the N-word he'd be screwed. 0/5

Cage the Elephant - Come a Little Closer

Good tune, but these indie-ish bands really need to find a different vocal sound. There are literally 70 bands of the top of my head that could switch front men and nobody would know the difference 3/5

J Cole - False Prophets

Being a wuss and rapping just don't mix. Not into this sissy rap 0/5

The doors - light my fire. 

it's hard to deny the catchy in this song. It stays in your head. The song has little depth lyrically but who cares. 5/5

Mac DeMarco - this old dog. 

I like this song. It's simple, it's pure, it's chill. The vocals aren't annoying. The lyrics are genuine. Be some great Hwy driving music. 5/5. 

A$AP Rocky - Telephone calls

I don't know what you kids call it now a days but I call this rap. I like old school rap because it's filthy and raw. This is also filthy and raw therefore I like it. I hate that autotune electronic crap. I don't listen to rap a lot but when I do I want it dirty and sounding like it's from the street. 5/5. 

Overall you have a good taste in music. I don't like some of it but I can see that you at least have an artistic preference to your jams. 4/5 thanks for the listen. 

I have no idea who made this. 

Nothing But Thieves - Trip Switch

Nothing really stuck out to me on this. Instrumentals were fine and vocals were kind of meh. Originally thought this was about some sort of infidelity with the first and third verses, but apparently it's about addiction to technology or something. Anyway, not bad, but pretty forgettable.

5/10

Spoiler

Tame Impala - Cause I'm a Man

Okay, so anybody who has been in these mix exchanges knows that I love Tame Impala. I thought Currents was a good album, but had some bad tracks for his standard. This was one of them. Bassline and production are good enough, but I just find it so drab and dreary. Hoping for less of this on Kevin's next project.

4/10

Spoiler

The Cult - Rain

Run of the mill 80's rock song. Nothing bad here, but nothing great. Guitars were decent enough and vocals were fine. Didn't mind listening to it, but I wouldn't really listen again. 

5.75/10

Spoiler

Judas Priest - Caviar and Meths

Thought these guys were super edgy so I expected a real thrasher. Pleasantly surprised to have gotten a calmer instrumental. Guitars and drums were pretty okay, but again, it's nothing I'd ever really listen to again. 

6/10

Spoiler

Simple Minds - All the Things She Said

Another very 80's song. Fun riff. Nothing of note, lyrically. Pretty catchy overall though.

6.25/10

Spoiler

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

An okay country rock song. I don't know who Alannah Myles is, but she has a nice voice. Didn't really know what this song was about. At first I guessed she was singing about her song, but with the help of the internet, they say it was about Elvis. Once again, nothing I'd listen to again. 

6.5/10

Spoiler

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

First thought I had was that I knew this from Friends at some point. Did my research and I was correct. Still find it pretty boring though. 

Spoiler

Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels

Pretty simple romance song. Liked the keyboard and other instruments enough. Once again, nothing really special to me.

6/10

Spoiler

Eddie Money - Two Tickets to Paradise

Really liked the energy shown in the chorus and the solo. Fun guitars and drums. Decent.

7/10

Spoiler

Hall & Oates - Out of Touch

Good stuff. Nice vocals and instrumentals. Just a fun pop song.

7.5/10

Spoiler

Overall: 5.5/10

Pretty bored with most of it. Nothing really noteworthy to me. Only song I'd really listen to again were the last two. Apparently a lot of these songs were featured in GTA games, so that's fun. Sorry I didn't have much to say about your songs. I just found them kind of boring.

I'll just shoot in the dark and guess Rubik

Archived