The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Disscussion] What Would It Take To Get JESSE PULJUJARVI and Do The Nucks Have enough To Offer?

First off Edmonton will be in cap trouble in a couple of years.

Second, they have traded away 2 1rst overall picks, so there is a history.

Third, they don't need more top six forwards, IMO they need goaltending and defence.

I would do anything necessary to get this kid, he is the real deal, he has been a top player at every level he has played and right now he is buried in the minors.

Would Tanev, 2017 #2, 3 and Columbus's 2nd, Markstrom and retain some salary for JP, a 2018 2nd rounder and Mark Fayne (taking salary back)? Is it enough? Add more if necessary.

IMO this deal done at the TDL could push Edmonton to being a top SC contender.

The Nucks will be bottom feeders even with this deal until they get another couple of forwards but this would be a very good start and remember he was #3 in an outstanding draft year.

Before I start disagreeing entirely with this offer... I do agree that the Canucks need more prospects with top 6 potential in the middle or the wing...  

BUT: 2-2nd round picks, 3rd round pick, Tanev and Markstrom for one player who isn't established? This could be debated to be more than Colorado is asking for Landeskog or Duchene who are established players.

Just a minor thing, but until Columbus picks a year I'm fairly certain the Canucks aren't allowed to trade the compensatory pick. And while Edmonton needs a reliable backup... even retaining 50% salary I don't see them having interest in Markstrom at 1.8M when most backup goalies are well below 1.5M... See here. For the Canucks retaining 1.8M in that would not be a good move either.

IF the Canucks do decide tanev is the defenceman to trade, which I agree may be the best bet to return a solid forward, then there should be no need to include all these additional assets and I'd rather target someone like Nylander, Duchene, etc.

Now as Edmonton are short defence, and if it is a possible match with Tanev, I think the peripherals would just need to be severely decreased.

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You said: "IMO this deal done at the TDL could push Edmonton to being a top SC contender."

That's a show stopper for me. In no way do I want to help our divisional rivals get better. There are other teams to make deals with.  

Our divisional rivals are already are 4 or 5 years ahead of the Nucks and miles ahead in one to one matchups, if anything it would be Edmonton helping the Nucks.

JP was head to head with Mathews for most of the draft year, he played injured in one tournament. Laine came on an passed him but Mathews and Laine can be considered franchise or maybe even generational players on a deep draft. Just look at how well Tkachuck is doing and he was picked a #5.

JP is a scoring machine he is almost a point per game guy in the AHL already. 6'3" and over 200 lbs, plays C and RW and his stats don't show a Cy Young winner, even g/a's.

What if he ends up staying with Edmonton and start challenging McDavid or out playing Draistl? Those old Edmonton teams toyed with the Nucks and this guy could put them back there even if it is just for a few years due to the cap.

The team could end up with

JP - Horvat - Boeser as a line and still have the Sedins.

Hmm, a plan

To EDM - Markstrom, Tanev, and a 3rd. 

To VAN: Puljujarvi

EDM gets their #1RHD and good goalie to share duties with Talbot. They get to keep their current roster intact.

VAN would need to re-sign Miller for 3 years, and they'd have to trade for a backup for him, until Demko is ready to back him up in 2019/20. Maybe by then the Canucks will be ready to compete in the playoffs. Puts a lot of hope on Miller though.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Second, they have traded away 2 1rst overall picks, so there is a history.

Third, they don't need more top six forwards, IMO they need goaltending and defence.

I would do anything necessary to get this kid, he is the real deal, he has been a top player at every level he has played and right now he is buried in the minors.

Would Tanev, 2017 #2, 3 and Columbus's 2nd, Markstrom and retain some salary for JP, a 2018 2nd rounder and Mark Fayne (taking salary back)? Is it enough? Add more if necessary.

IMO this deal done at the TDL could push Edmonton to being a top SC contender.

The Nucks will be bottom feeders even with this deal until they get another couple of forwards but this would be a very good start and remember he was #3 in an outstanding draft year.

Top 10 in Goals Against....with Nurse coming back in the next 2 games

Just saying

Canucks are 22nd or 23rd for Goals Against and bottom 5 for goals scored

Soooo.....

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Top 10 in Goals Against....with Nurse coming back in the next 2 games

Just saying

Canucks are 22nd or 23rd for Goals Against and bottom 5 for goals scored

Soooo.....

At one time the Nucks were in the top 5 with Tanev and he has playoff experience.

Calgary just got better.

22 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

At one time the Nucks were in the top 5 with Tanev and he has playoff experience.

Calgary just got better.

To clarify, you're saying Stone makes Calgary better?

Remind me how they are behind us in the standings or how we're close to losing anything but a lottery position to them

6 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

The Oil do not need goaltending. Talbot is fantastic, and while not elite, a solid reliable legit starting goalie. I want Pool Party, but not at the expense of giving Tanev to Edmonton of all teams.

It will never happen, but I would trade Tanev plus to get JP in a heartbeat.  Doubt the Oilers trade JP unless he sits out and heads back to Finland. 

9 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Edmonton isn't trading him.

Gretzky.

There is price for all players.

Lindros - multiple 1rsts

JP is not in their lineup, Hall was, they still need dmen and a goalie to get over the top. Edmonton fans have been waiting a decade to get back into the playoffs and they now have a player that might be literally the next one. One or two good deals now might take them to the promised land for a decade.

19 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Cart, meet horse.

19 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Would Tanev, 2017 #2, 3 and Columbus's 2nd, Markstrom and retain some salary for JP, a 2018 2nd rounder and Mark Fayne (taking salary back)? Is it enough?

Not. Remotely. Enough.

But to answer the long winded thread title? No, no they don't have enough to get it done. Not what they can afford to part with, anyway. Other teams in the NHL are absolutely flushed with considerable more talent that they can afford to part with, should the Oilers trade away JP.

But the Oilers have zero need to trade him right now. They have no idea what they have in him yet, so trading him away makes no sense. Especially considering Eberle's contract expires in 2019, so they'll have more than enough cap space.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Gretzky.

There is price for all players.

Lindros - multiple 1rsts

JP is not in their lineup, Hall was, they still need dmen and a goalie to get over the top. Edmonton fans have been waiting a decade to get back into the playoffs and they now have a player that might be literally the next one. One or two good deals now might take them to the promised land for a decade.

They have lots of D men.

Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom, Sekeras, Russel, and Benning has stepped right in and played very well in his first season.  And they still have Reinhart.

And their goalie is playing lights out this year.  Talbot is a huge part of Oilers success this year, he's stood on his head most night.  He can easily be seen as a top 5/6 goalie in the league this year. 

The reason the oilers were ok with trading hall was because they had JP, JP made Halls future scoring somewhat expendable and now they filled their D need. 

And finally, Oilers already have 3 D they will be protecting in expansion,  Sekeras has a NMC and which leave the oilers room to protect Larsson and Klefbom.  That would mean Tanev would be lost to expansion because Tanev isn't replacing Larsson or Klefbom.at this point. 

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And finally, Oilers already have 3 D they will be protecting in expansion,  Sekeras has a NMC and which leave the oilers room to protect Larsson and Klefbom.  That would mean Tanev would be lost to expansion because Tanev isn't replacing Larsson or Klefbom.at this point. 

End thread I guess

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Cart, meet horse.

Not. Remotely. Enough.

But to answer the long winded thread title? No, no they don't have enough to get it done. Not what they can afford to part with, anyway. Other teams in the NHL are absolutely flushed with considerable more talent that they can afford to part with, should the Oilers trade away JP.

But the Oilers have zero need to trade him right now. They have no idea what they have in him yet, so trading him away makes no sense. Especially considering Eberle's contract expires in 2019, so they'll have more than enough cap space.

I don't know if it's too much really.  Pool Party is in the minors, because he is horrible defensively, and his offence didn't transition to the North American Game.  Maybe he never becomes an impactful player, and we are overpaying?

Archived