The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

That is very odd about the benching, particularly since GM Benning suggested youth would have a chance to play in the final stream of games. 

There's something brewing here. I think Benning and ownership are on a different page than Willie. I'm hoping Linden is on board with Benning. I guarantee Francesco gave Jim a phonecall after the game.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It will be the "worst thing ever" if Goldy starts giving up on offensive chances because Willie in order to play his "system".

maybe, could be that once he gets the system down he gets even more chances and becomes the second coming of shirokov the saviour,

all i'm saying is lets see how it plays out for at least 2 games before we fire our coach

Just now, 4thLineGrinder said:

maybe, could be that once he gets the system down he gets even more chances and becomes the second coming of shirokov the saviour,

all i'm saying is lets see how it plays out for at least 2 games before we fire our coach

I'm sorry, but I really think it sends a terrible message to a young player. Score, then ride pine for the rest of the game?

2 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

There's something brewing here. I think Benning and ownership are on a different page than Willie. I'm hoping Linden is on board with Benning. I guarantee Francesco gave Jim a phonecall after the game.

This isn't the first time the management showed discord among themselves. I'm afraid Aquilini is still pulling the strings behind Linden...

Willie is coaching like he knows his days are numbered. I think he's trying to sell himself to potential employers that his system will win games even at the expense of the team's youth.

I honestly think this guy is actually dumb enough to think that his bullheaded deployment strategies will endear himself to manegment groups around the league.

I'll be flabbergasted if this joker is coaching in the NHL in September.

2 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

Can't argue with most others are saying about benching the kid who just scored and etc.

I will say: Fantastic game by Chris Tanev. 1P, +2, 6 shot blocks. Triple every single other skater in the game. He was throwing himself in front of every shot he saw.

Quoted for truth. Saw a vintage Tanev-block on Doughty(lame F***), that was so key at that moment.

8 minutes ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

I remember how hyped everyone was to hire Willie D as our coach. Got lucky his first year, blew it against the flames, has been mediocre at best since then. How he still has a job with better coaches already fired baffles me. 

Because he's right handed? :P

No seriously, WD really is right handed. :wacko:

tonight was goldies chance to make a 1st impression

he made a REAL GOOD ONE

let him have a practice or two and settle in,

you can't force chemistry and don't be so shocked willie brings the new guys in slow, he's only been coaching like this since forever, doesn't seem to have hindered horvat, bearcheese, granny, hutton, stecher, tryamkin, or sbisa's development at all

5 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

tonight was goldies chance to make a 1st impression

he made a REAL GOOD ONE

let him have a practice or two and settle in,

you can't force chemistry and don't be so shocked willie brings the new guys in slow, he's only been coaching like this since forever, doesn't seem to have hindered horvat, bearcheese, granny, hutton, stecher, tryamkin, or sbisa's development at all

Well on the flip side of Willie, he was investing time into the likes of Vey, Larsen,Chaput and Megna who earned more than 5 minutes per game, to get their games going.

45 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

If the rookie version of  pavel bure showed up to this team willie would give him 5 minutes total ice time ... pavel loved to cherry pick and exit the defensive zone early. Yeah you can't win with guys like that.

Pat Kane has mad a pretty good career out if doing just that.  Obviuously it hasn't led to any success for Chicago.

8 minutes ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

Willie is coaching like he knows his days are numbered. I think he's trying to sell himself to potential employers that his system will win games even at the expense of the team's youth.

I honestly think this guy is actually dumb enough to think that his bullheaded deployment strategies will endear himself to manegment groups around the league.

You're pretty much bang on. The only reason the coach is still going all in to squeeze out more W is to pad his resume for an AHL job next season.

Won't be easy though as Willie keeps insisting to take Megna with him as a foundational player.

2 minutes ago, 1-d said:

You're pretty much bang on. The only reason the coach is still going all in to squeeze out more W is to pad his resume for an AHL job next season.

Won't be easy though as Willie keeps insisting to take Megna with him as a foundational player.

NEWS ALERT:

NHL Coach's job is to WIN GAMES...:shock:

22 minutes ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

That's what was said about Torts after he was fired here...:shock:

20 minutes ago, hearditall said:

NEWS ALERT:

... by overplaying aging vets and his mediocre favorites over young high-end prospects, with the team having zero hope for postseason 

... going against his boss' directions to prep for the future

... at the expense of developing the franchise's new core players, who may need to take over as early as the next season

Quite a news indeed.

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
2 minutes ago, 1-d said:

... by overplaying aging vets and his mediocre favorites over young high-end prospects, with the team having zero hope for postseason 

... going against his boss' directions to prep for the future

... at the expense of developing the franchise's new core players, who may need to take over as early as the next season

Quite a news indeed.

:frantic::lol:

40 minutes ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

Willie is coaching essentially the same today as he was during the start of the season. That's the whole point of the system, it's consistent. While he's not winning many games, he shouldn't be. We have a depleted lineup and are 'retooling' for the future. Willie's job is to get the boys playing hard every night and trying to teach them to win. Many of the young players are shining this year due to, at least partly, Willie's system. 

Horvat is leading the team. Both Granny and Baer have been successful reclamation projects. Try and Stetcher have looked great. If our core hadn't gotten old over the past years we would have a pretty solid lineup. He has always been constant with the way he has deployed the kids, and sheltered minutes in tough situations. Goldy looked good in the first part of the game, when we were winning. When the game started getting tough and the kings had momentum, he kept him on the bench. Just like he used to with Baer and Virt. No point in risking goals and defensive confidence in a tight game. 

While I obviously agree that he makes some boneheaded desicions frequently, I completely disagree with your accusation. I don't think he's sacrificing our future to find a job, I think he's developing them to keep his. 

31 minutes ago, hearditall said:

NEWS ALERT:

That implies Willie will have a job. 

The direction of this team has been settled. We're playing the young guys and developing for the future. It's a shame, really, when he first got here he rolled 4 lines and now he pulls BS like tonight.

Archived