The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

This quote is baloney because he wasn't even given a chance to show the defensive side of hockey after scoring a goal.   If he didn't look good then by all means sit him down.  He should be given a chance to play a few more minutes to see the LA desperation and see how he hold himself up.  Rest o the team didn't hold themselves well after another breakdown period.  

7 minutes ago, edcba said:

Sorry Willie, you may be a good teacher. But when you keep give keeping lots of ice times to the twins even though they keep committing holding and hooking penalties game after game, and limiting the ice time for the youth players, I think it is time for the organization to consider if your are the right coach.

And coach, you talked about Goldobin not knowing about the system. Sorry, I don't see your system, even if we won tonight.

Yes and especially true when the Sedins have showed over and over that you never want the them playing in the last minutes because it never fails they get manhandled and dominated the other teams top players make them look like timbits players it's so ridiculous!

This is a perfect time I've seen coaches like AV put a Guance in and reward him for his hard game he's playing the kind of game he's winning all the battles dominating tough Kings players and what does Willie do staples him to the bench as usual. Guance would be one of my go to guys in.the last minutes he'll feel like a big part of the team and make sure he does everything in his power to protect the lead and he has just the right style to do it. Instead he sits there watching that debacle almost blowing that huge lead and thinks he can't win with the coach the coach has no faith in me.

I like lots of fans really hope WD is fired asap.

To clarify my Willy comments: I don't like stapling Goldobin either... selfishly, I want to see what he can do and want to see him succeed.  That said, I'm willing to give Coach the benefit of the doubt.

Why?  Because look at what he's done with Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund.  Our 3 promising young forwards have all performed beyond expectations under Willy.  For Baer and Bo at least, he has been criticized for not playing them enough.  Same here again.  That's enough to give him the benefit of the doubt in my book... and to be fair I don't think Willy is a great tactician or anything like that.  

For the counter-point of Virt/McCann: for Virtanen, I think Willy did okay, but when you have the Twins and Burrows calling you out in the media... that goes beyond the coach. I "blame" management for not sending him down earlier, even though they've got it absolutely right at the moment.  

Super excited to see Goldobin develop.. looked better than I thought he would tonight.

I don't think willie is the right fit at the end of the day

I mean if this style makes you a contender I will settle for it

But in a major hockey city, you need the product on the ice to be entertaining

it's a business at the end of the day

Some games are hardly watchable on tv as a hockey fan, let alone going to buy season tickets

Just now, ilduce39 said:

To clarify my Willy comments: I don't like stapling Goldobin either... selfishly, I want to see what he can do and want to see him succeed.  That said, I'm willing to give Coach the benefit of the doubt.

Why?  Because look at what he's done with Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund.  Our 3 promising young forwards have all performed beyond expectations under Willy.  For Baer and Bo at least, he has been criticized for not playing them enough.  Same here again.  That's enough to give him the benefit of the doubt in my book... and to be fair I don't think Willy is a great tactician or anything like that.  

For the counter-point of Virt/McCann: for Virtanen, I think Willy did okay, but when you have the Twins and Burrows calling you out in the media... that goes beyond the coach. I "blame" management for not sending him down earlier, even though they've got it absolutely right at the moment.  

Super excited to see Goldobin develop.. looked better than I thought he would tonight.

WD said it before, he wants players that play well defensively first. Then they can be trusted and go on the offense. Bo, Baer, Granny, all did that and have done well so far. 

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

WD said it before, he wants players that play well defensively first. Then they can be trusted and go on the offense. Bo, Baer, Granny, all did that and have done well so far. 

...and that's the way you want to build your team if you want to win a cup. 

Not if you want a 22-year old 30 goal scorer.

Willy didn't get my memo I wrote a few months ago, so I will repeat it here so that he can have another chance to read it.  To me it is obvious that the Sedin's pressure Willy to put them out when there is an empty net, so they can pad their stats.  Again tonight he does it, and it almost cost us.  Daniel gets the puck and instead of just getting it out, he tries from his zone to score, and misses the net, causing icing, then causing lots of unnecessary pressure with the score 4-3.  SELFISH.

on 1/22/2017 at 9:19 PM, Stormriders said:

Memo To:  Willy D.

1. Do NOT put out the Sedins with 2 minutes or less to go in a tie game, PERIOD.

2. When leading by a single goal, and the other team pulls their goalie, do NOT put out the Sedins .

3 minutes ago, 5ubmarine said:

I don't think willie is the right fit at the end of the day

I mean if this style makes you a contender I will settle for it

But in a major hockey city, you need the product on the ice to be entertaining

it's a business at the end of the day

Some games are hardly watchable on tv as a hockey fan, let alone going to buy season tickets

torts brought a different entertainment, and it still sucked. A losing team is boring to watch. I don't care if they have mcjesus.

My theory about Willie, is that there's probably some sort of communication disconnect between management and him. The first year he was here it was pretty clear that management wanted to make the playoffs. 2nd year they also aimed for the playoffs but failed terribly. This season JB definitely seemed more open to deeper turnover of vets ever since the start, though not tanking outright. Playoffs also didn't seem to be the biggest theme. I think in Willie's mind, he's in win now mode because he feels he needs to get back to that relatively successful 2014-2015 season. Even if the team finishes 9th, he's probably thinking, "well, at least I tried to get there. I led the team to compete for a playoff spot and we were close. Management will have less leverage to fire me." Problem is, his own deployment is probably gonna sabotage that. 

52 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Score the game winner - get benched.  WD logic. 

52 minutes ago, apollo said:

Lesson for Goldy 

Score a goal and get benched all 3rd period. 

Willie knows hockey! 

W.e we won lol! LA sucks! 

I was wondering how Willie would react when I saw the play. Goldy broke down the ice before the Canucks had possession in their own zone. No coach wants to see that when the team is up 3-0. It was good anticipation in the sense that Goldy could see that there was a good chance Hutton would get possession and pass him the puck. But if Hutton loses the puck battle and the puck goes to Goldy's man, he has a clean shot at the Canuck net. And Goldy did not do much before the goal.

I have to give WD some credit as obviously he knew benching Goldy would not be a popular move. Of course penalties into and WD will no doubt talk about protecting a lead, experience, yada yada. But I think he was sending a message.

Horvat and Baertschi were both very good tonight, and of course Miller was great and gets the steal, even with 3 goals scored against. And Sutter was good despite being held off the scoresheet. But LA treated Chaput and Megna as though they were just AHLers. And the Sedins and Granlund were constantly getting buried in their own end.

The D was under a lot of pressure. Considering he was playing hurt and still a bit under the weather, Tanev was excellent.

1 minute ago, D'Angelo Russell said:

My theory about Willie, is that there's probably some sort of communication disconnect between management and him. The first year he was here it was pretty clear that management wanted to make the playoffs. 2nd year they also aimed for the playoffs but failed terribly. This season JB definitely seemed more open to deeper turnover of vets ever since the start, though not tanking outright. Playoffs also didn't seem to be the biggest theme. I think in Willie's mind, he's in win now mode because he feels he needs to get back to that relatively successful 2014-2015 season. Even if the team finishes 9th, he's probably thinking, "well, at least I tried to get there. I led the team to compete for a playoff spot and we were close. Management will have less leverage to fire me." Problem is, his own deployment is probably gonna sabotage that. 

sounds like he's delusional

Archived