The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Future of the Vancouver Canucks

Zigmund.Palffy

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's definitely a weird situation. In 55 games with the Canucks in his rookie season he had 13 points, in Utica in 47 games he has 12 points. Maybe he should be up playing with the Canucks and the young guys to develop with them...

He's in the best place for him.  He's playing important mins in important games and he's becoming an impact player.

38 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Loui isn't a good player now... especially at that cap hit.

Even if Loui had been producing at his normal clip for the next couple years, it would have been nieve to think he would still be producing at that level past 35.  In 2-3 years when we become competitive again, that $6M albatross of a contract for a ~40 point (if that) winger is going to weigh us down.

It was a short-sighted signing, there is really no other way to spin it.

Our future looks bright, but I really can't see Loui being a valuable part of that future.

Could be worse....

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then you've got the dead cap LTIR likes of Horton, Lupul, and Robidas, plus the buyouts of Gleason and Cowan, plus the buried cap of Laich, Michalek, and Greening, plus the retained salary of Kessel for five more years after this one.

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

THIS is what kills me about the people whining about the Eriksson deal :lol:

14 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

At least Eriksson actually plays for his money ;)

We're still going to need a couple vets after the Sedins are gone next season and Edler the following (or sooner). Eriksson and Sutter will be those guys at forward. Eriksson is also a good fit with Horvat IMO and will continue to help shelter the likes of Boeser, Goldobin etc. 

And as those young guys eclipse him, he's still a solid 2 way player than can contribute in the middle 6. 

I also believe he has a better season next year.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Hopefully he can, definitely will be better for his chances. Not many other prospects too bring up really. Regarding next year now is a little premature, it's all about who steps up and fights for a spot in pre season imo.

Juolevi can't go to Utica yet - but it sounds like they want to go the patient route going forward.  I think they learned with what happened with Virtanen and McCann.  There can be surprises though.

I have a feeling that Boeser will be on the team next season. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.

Also, I agree with @cookieeater55, I would love to pull Reinhart out of Buffalo. With both Eichel and O'Reilly, I could see them moving Reinhart for a massive haul, and I think we're actually in a position to pull that off. Provided we don't land one of the top two picks in the draft, I would be willing to offer up our 2017 1st, one of Tanev/Hutton, one of Virtanen/Sutter (If Sutter is willing to waive...which he won't), and the Columbus 2nd rd pick (provided Buffalo send us their 3rd).

Having both Horvat and Reinhart would give us a much clearer view of what direction the team will take over the next few years. Love to see them duke it out for the no 1 center position.

1 hour ago, IbanezRG said:

So what? No respectable NHL franchise ever plans to tank a season, were not some $&!#ty American expansion team, were the Canucks, we tried to make it, we weren't good enough.

loui will still be a good player on a good line 3 or 4 years from now, he will remain signed through the rebuild untill we are competitive again, in no way does this signing hold the Canucks back.

Would you be saying the same thing had we signed Loui AND Lucic? That was the plan; to get both. #CAPHELLAVOIDED

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have a feeling that Boeser will be on the team next season. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.

Also, I agree with @cookieeater55, I would love to pull Reinhart out of Buffalo. With both Eichel and O'Reilly, I could see them moving Reinhart for a massive haul, and I think we're actually in a position to pull that off. Provided we don't land one of the top two picks in the draft, I would be willing to offer up our 2017 1st, one of Tanev/Hutton, one of Virtanen/Sutter (If Sutter is willing to waive...which he won't), and the Columbus 2nd rd pick (provided Buffalo send us their 3rd).

Please god no!

Buffalo would be stupid not to take that deal. That's way too much to give up IMO. Tanev + Virt + Columbus 2nd might even be too much. Also adding what likely ends up being a top 5 pick is just crazy....

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's in the best place for him.  He's playing important mins in important games and he's becoming an impact player.

Well as long as it's looking good for him, just I would of expected some more point production out of him down there. I understand the teams not deep, but with getting so much more ice time and having more opportunities to produce, I would guess being down there, just would expect a little more, that's all.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Juolevi can't go to Utica yet - but it sounds like they want to go the patient route going forward.  I think they learned with what happened with Virtanen and McCann.  There can be surprises though.

Gotcha, but my point was he's pretty much producing at the same level in the AHL as he was in the NHL, and he was getting much less minutes in the NHL then in the AHL I'm assuming.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well as long as it's looking good for him, just I would of expected some more point production out of him down there. I understand the teams not deep, but with getting so much more ice time and having more opportunities to produce, I would guess being down there, just would expect a little more, that's all.

I wish his point totals better reflected  his play, because he is playing very well and consistently well.  He's getting a lot of chances, just not a lot of luck.  I wish theyd flip him to the left side.

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did the 2013 Oilers defense look like? I'm thinking that a 6'7" 260 lb Tryamkin, and a 6'5" 220 lb Gudbranson help to balance out the size issue you're experiencing. That being said, the players bring a fairly large dose of skill that's been lacking in the prospect pool.

I think we are going to be a fast team. Time and time again I see flashes of what Linden/Willie are building towards. They break forward as fast as any team I have watched in the league this season and you can tell it unsettles teams.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Having both Horvat and Reinhart would give us a much clearer view of what direction the team will take over the next few years. Love to see them duke it out for the no 1 center position.

Yeah that's an over-payment IMO.

I'd only move the 1st if it wasn't top 4'ish personally. Our 5-10 1st and Hutton and say Granlund should be more than enough. Maybe even a 3rd or something coming back.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Please god no!

Buffalo would be stupid not to take that deal. That's way too much to give up IMO. Tanev + Virt + Columbus 2nd might even be too much. Also adding what likely ends up being a top 5 pick is just crazy....

You have to give up a lot to get a lot. The deals proposed here tend to be massively lopsided in favor of the Canucks, and Reinhart has put up 41 points in 64 games in just his second season in the NHL. He's already a top six player, with the potential to get a hell of a lot better.

Edit: Of course, this is assuming we don't land one of the top 2 picks. If we luck out and get one of those picks, take one of Patrick or Hischier and run.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wish his point totals better reflected  his play, because he is playing very well and consistently well.  He's getting a lot of chances, just not a lot of luck.  I wish theyd flip him to the left side.

Haven't watched him play down there but I'll take you have... But if he is playing well can't argue with that, just have to wait it out then I guess.

54 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

You're missing the point. Chances are not all 4 of those will have prominent roles on the team. You acquire as many as you can and hitting on 50% is a massive success

I think his point, with which I agree, is that we need size (as well as skill and speed) to compete in our division (and yes I know we won two games in California this week).

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well that's rather interesting.  "A lot" is certainly more than one or two.  We're all expecting Boeser to have a good shot at making the opening day roster, and I've heard rumblings that they want to get Juolevi in, and perhaps they are confident of a college FA or two stepping in.  Roster spots are available, so who else is ready to make the jump?

I think they are impressed with Will Lockwood, Zhukenov and McEneny.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sadly I think if he had started the season in condition he would already be playing 12-15 mins a night here now.

Imo it wasn't his lack of skill that sent him to Utica it was that he was the fact he reported in the pre-season out of condition and unlike Try wouldn't take responsibility for it.

I still think he was playing well for us after he came back from the WJC till the end of last season.

Just now, alfstonker said:

Sadly I think if he had started the season in condition he would already be playing 12-15 mins a night here now.

Imo it wasn't his lack of skill that sent him to Utica it was that he was the fact he reported in the pre-season out of condition and unlike Try wouldn't take responsibility for it.

I still think he was playing well for us after he came back from the WJC till the end of last season.

I think it was always the plan for him to be in Utica this season.  They just needed to get him out of Calgary, so they parked him, for the year, with the big club

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Please DON'T EVER be our GM.

Archived