The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Does Juolevi Stack up? vs D Peers in top 10

Rush17

Are you happy with Juolevi as a pick?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wouldn't be a real shock a few years from now to see Tram and OJ as the top pairing. If they both continue to develop, that could be pretty solid.

Honestly, I feel the ceilings of those two are 1a and 1a. They want to be great players. That's been Tree's best quality this year is his urge to get better, and OJ hates to lose and wants to play. Their IQ stands out and I can't wait to see them lead our backend for years to come. Skill plus size plus skill again is a good formula. 

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wouldn't be a real shock a few years from now to see Tram and OJ as the top pairing. If they both continue to develop, that could be pretty solid.

We're a ways off from that if it does happen but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 

Even better, imagine (depending on where we pick/trading for another high pick) drafting Liljegrin this year as well. In 3-4 years we could see something like...

Juolevi, Liljegrin

Tryamkin, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

YES PLEASE!

In his draft Class, you have to go with McAvoy right now, this year has been huge for him in developing,  Won Gold (and played a major role) with USA at WJC..  Scored the OT goal to beat ND, in the first round and then less than a month later plays in his first NHL game which just happens to be game one of the playoffs and plays over 24 minutes, the only player to get more ice time on either team was Chara.  And boy did he look good last night.   Maybe he was running on adrenaline but the kid already looked like a top pairing D.

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In his draft Class, you have to go with McAvoy right now, this year has been huge for him in developing,  Won Gold (and played a major role) with USA at WJC..  Scored the OT goal to beat ND, in the first round and then less than a month later plays in his first NHL game which just happens to be game one of the playoffs and plays over 24 minutes, the only player to get more ice time on either team was Chara.  And boy did he look good last night.   Maybe he was running on adrenaline but the kid already looked like a top pairing D.

Just shows how unpredictable d-men are in the draft.  Risk taking one at #5 overall, especially one that isn't considered an offensive guy.  If Juolevi follows the same development curve as Virtanen, then Benning won't be around to sell low on those players.

7 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

Just shows how unpredictable d-men are in the draft.  Risk taking one at #5 overall, especially one that isn't considered an offensive guy.  If Juolevi follows the same development curve as Virtanen, then Benning won't be around to sell low on those players.

Juolevi is not doing poorly. McAvoy (besides clearly being talented) also has/had more NHL ready size which has helped him transition sooner.

That doesn't mean Juolevi can't be as good or better of D in 5 years.

2 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

D are really unpredictable, unless a players is a top 2 lock, they don't tend to end up being the top D in that draft year.

2004 - Barker went 3rd overall, Green went 29th overall

2005 - Johnson went 3rd overall, Vlasic went 35th overall

2007 - Hickey was picked 4th overall, Mcdonagh was picked 12th overall

2010 - Gudbranson was picked 3rd overall, Fowler was picked 12th overall (faulk 37th)

2011 - Larsson was picked 4th overall, Hamilton was picked 9th overall

2012 - Reinhart was picked 4th overall, Reilly was picked 5th overall

2013 - Jones was picked 4th overall, i'd probably give the edge to Ristolainen who went 9th overall

2015 - Hanifin went 5th overall, Provorov went 7th, Werenski went 8th overall

All the years in between, the first D picked went in the top 2.  Moral of the story, the first D picked outside of the top 2 likely wont become the best D in that years draft class.  But that's not to say they player wont be good, those picks don't tend to be bust, they still go on to have very good careers..  I'd still be happy with Suter, Jones, Hanifin quality and Juolevi is just that. 

But again, we knew that when we made the pick, we knew Juolevi didn't have the highest ceiling out of all the D, but he also didn't come with a much risk.  We knew that we'd be getting a for sure NHL quality player when we made that pick. 

11 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Honestly, I feel the ceilings of those two are 1a and 1a. They want to be great players. That's been Tree's best quality this year is his urge to get better, and OJ hates to lose and wants to play. Their IQ stands out and I can't wait to see them lead our backend for years to come. Skill plus size plus skill again is a good formula. 

I have a hard time seeing Ollie as a 1a. I see a #3 or 4 which is still very good and definitely something this organization needs but if he was really and truly projected as a bonified #1 d-man, he should have been the #3 pick oa at last years draft. I don't see a first liner in either PLD or Pool party. Those two forwards are second line talent so by rights a 1a defenseman is more valuable than just about any 2nd line winger. Ollie's ceiling is at best a 2.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

We're a ways off from that if it does happen but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 

Even better, imagine (depending on where we pick/trading for another high pick) drafting Liljegrin this year as well. In 3-4 years we could see something like...

Juolevi, Liljegrin

Tryamkin, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

YES PLEASE!

That's a pretty nice looking defence. Looks like it could be even a step up from the Dcorps from 2010-2011, when the team had so many top 2 and top 4 Dmen that Juice was expected to be traded because there didn't seem to be room for all of them. Let's hope they all continue their development.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Juolevi, Liljegrin

Tryamkin, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

YES PLEASE!

Dahlin Liljegren

Juolevi Stecher

Brisebois Tryamkin

FTFY....:)

3 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Dahlin Liljegrin

Juolevi Stecher

Brisebois Tryamkin

FTFY....:)

Dahlin next year would be pretty great too :) Lotto win to consider though. But hearing "Dahlin feeds a pass up to Dahlen" for the next decade would be fun too!

I'd imagine we'd have to move one of those guys though. Don't see Tryamkin playing 3rd pairing in 4'ish years and I doubt we'd be able to afford them all for long either.

Just now, J.R. said:

Dahlin next year would be pretty great too :) Lotto win to consider though. But hearing "Dahlin feeds a pass up to Dahlen" for the next decade would be fun too!

I'd imagine we'd have to move one of those guys though. Don't see Tryamkin playing 3rd pairing in 4'ish years.

Ya it's a pipe dream but having 4 mobile puck moving defense in the top 4 like Dahlin, Liljegren, Juolevi and Stech would be incredible. As far as Tryamkin in the top 4, I think he still has a ways to go yet and as far as building a cup winning lineup having a guy like him on the bottom pairing is a sure sign of success. To me he needs to make to big strides in his positioning and puck handling before I would bank on him being a top 4 guy on a cup winning team. If he gets there...fantastic, we'll have to trade someone in our top 4. If he makes some strides toward that but nothing major I think he's the kind of guy that anchors a great bottom pairing.

I was pretty well convinced Dubois would be a Canuck. Stoked that Tkachuk fell to us, but then pretty choked we didn't pick him. 

My take on Juolevi is the pick doesn't make me that excited, but he doesn't make me nervous either. Jake on the other hand made me nervous, regardless of whether we passed on him or drafted him. He was actually my third choice of dmen behind Sergachev and Chychrun, with Sergachev being my #1. 

1) Ekblad

2) Jones

3) Werenski

4) Ristolainen

-----------------

5) Provorov

6) Hanifin

7) Sergachev

8) Juolevi

-----------------

9) Nurse

10) Fleury