The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roller Hockey Vancouver Voodoo

darkpoet

Who remembers this from back in the 90's?

I didn't watch a lot of games, but I did play a lot of roller hockey back then when I still lived on the coast. 

We'd practice every Sunday in the gym at the Abbotsford Fairgrounds and then play games at the Twin Rinks in Langley. they had 2 rinks that had that specialized rubber (?) tile, is that still there?
I remembered from my skateboarding days, knowing a lot about wheel hardness etc... I always used the hardest wheels I could find on my skates because I knew that way I could stop sideways like you do on ice, which wasn't common in roller hockey. Stripped a lot of hex nuts and blew a few bearings that way but it worked! 

Haven't played at all since I moved, and some days I just really miss it. So much fun. All free wheeling and skill based, basically no defense. All about making plays and scoring.

Anyway, wasn't sure where to post this. Thought I'd throw it up in case there are more old farts in here that used to play 

I remember trying out when they had open tryouts. At the agridome. Made it past the first scrimmage. 

I do remember that Tiger came out and scrimmaged in the second one. Some kid rubbed him the wrong way and Tiger two handed him in the legs. Scary dude. 

I went to a game, it was pretty cool.

Similar to ice hockey, except very high scoring.  Not sure if it's due to the nature of the game, or just the players are pretty much UHL-equivalent.

Once in a while they're on UTV, but maybe it's the colour, but it always looks weird on TV.  

On 2017-03-19 at 3:47 PM, Stelar said:

I remember trying out when they had open tryouts. At the agridome. Made it past the first scrimmage. 

I do remember that Tiger came out and scrimmaged in the second one. Some kid rubbed him the wrong way and Tiger two handed him in the legs. Scary dude. 

Tiger did that about 20 years ago in my hometown in a drop in game and rumour has it that Brad Gasoff tuned him good for it. At least that's what the old timers at work tell us. 

Archived