The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McGregor vs Mayweather August 26th

DoughtysCheck

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Hard to tell, Nate Diaz doesn't exactly have the hardest punch and he wobbled Conor with a 1-2. Nate is a lot bigger than Mayweather though. 

Mayweather hasn't thrown a KO punch in nearly a decade. Most overrated boxer in the history of the dead sport. He avoids being hit very well, tho. 

44 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Mayweather hasn't thrown a KO punch in nearly a decade. Most overrated boxer in the history of the dead sport. He avoids being hit very well, tho. 

Agreed, as many have said Mayweather will likely use his cardio to get the decision. Would love if Conor got the win via KO in the first round though. 

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

lol you're so wrong.  McGregor is set to make easily over 100+ mill.

Want to bet?

Show me your source?

Pacman didn't even make 9 figures in his fight with Mayweather. Don't believe the hype. Mayweather is the only guy in boxing who makes 9 figures. Look into his previous fights and the pay outs against TOP guys in boxing.

Maidana in the REMATCH (with insane hype with how close the first fight was) made UNDER 10 million total in that event. 

8 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Oooh I'd love nothing more than to see McGregor punch his lights out, but yeah, hard to see it happening.

That being said, seems like McGregor has little to lose here, if he does lose, he'll probably at least look half decent and go back to mma and kick ass there, if Mayweather loses though, to an MMA fighter, with no pro boxing experience, going 49-1? Ouch.

6 hours ago, Stelar said:

Easy win for Mayweather.  Let's see how MacGregor punches with boxing gloves on.  Also, Floyd also barely gets hit against real boxers. 

And, MacGregor gasses after 2 rounds of MMA, how will he be in round 10. 

This is is all about money.  Won't be competitive at all.  

I would love to see Conor win as well but it isn't going to happen. All this build up for what will inevitably be a boring one sided fight. 

CM has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Floyd also knows that he is going to win and it is an easy way for him to round out his record to a nice 50-0 while bringing in another 100Ms. 

For Conor this is 100% about the money. I have a theory about Conor's incentives for this fight.

CM wants a huge payday even if it means losing a boxing match against one of the greatest. He is smarter than people give him credit for. I think he is going to use this fight to retire permanently from combat sports. He knows that these athletes pay the price down the road and don't make enough money (most of them) for what they do. 

Conor will lose, be gracious in defeat, then retire after making more in one night than in 10 UFC fights.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would love to see Conor win as well but it isn't going to happen. All this build up for what will inevitably be a boring one sided fight. 

CM has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Floyd also knows that he is going to win and it is an easy way for him to round out his record to a nice 50-0 while bringing in another 100Ms. 

For Conor this is 100% about the money. I have a theory about Conor's incentives for this fight.

CM wants a huge payday even if it means losing a boxing match against one of the greatest. He is smarter than people give him credit for. I think he is going to use this fight to retire permanently from combat sports. He knows that these athletes pay the price down the road and don't make enough money (most of them) for what they do. 

Conor will lose, be gracious in defeat, then retire after making more in one night than in 10 UFC fights.

I think McGregor would make it in Hollywood if he crossed over or decided to take a run at those tossers at WWE first.

7 hours ago, JV77 said:

lol you're so wrong.  McGregor is set to make easily over 100+ mill.

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Want to bet?

Show me your source?

Pacman didn't even make 9 figures in his fight with Mayweather. Don't believe the hype. Mayweather is the only guy in boxing who makes 9 figures. Look into his previous fights and the pay outs against TOP guys in boxing.

Maidana in the REMATCH (with insane hype with how close the first fight was) made UNDER 10 million total in that event. 

After Conor signed his half of the deal a week ago, the speculation was that he signed for $65-$75 Million.  The only question was how much Conor would get in PPV points.  If either of you watch the combined press conference with Dana White and Leonard Ellerbe (Mayweather's manager), Dana even makes mention that once Conor cashes his check for the fight in August, he can't know for sure that Conor won't retire after making that kind of money.  Since Conor has made between $10-$13 million per UFC fight after the PPV points are paid out, that would mean that he's obviously raking in a lot of cash.  Conor brings bigger international (mainly Europe) star power to the fight than Floyd does, that's what makes him valuable.  Floyd wants that exposure for himself and his business, Mayweather Promotions.

On the flipside Floyd has said before that he would only fight 9 figure guaranteed fights.  That means that on his side, the contract probably starts out at $100 Million before even the PPV points are even taken into consideration.  He pulled in $300 Million for the Pacquiao fight with 4.4 million ppv buys, so it would stand to reason that he'll do roughly the same with this one as well if it sells the same or better.

Mayweather is a cancer to the sport of boxing.  Sad after one of the better matches in the last 20 years (Joshua vs. Kitschko) that this bizzle has to come back and dance around like a vagina for 12 rounds and soil the sport some more.  Hopefully CM can channel is inner Tyson and just corner Mayweather with a barrage of punches as he should be in the better shape. 

I heard CM is set to make $100 schmill but if he does anything MMA related like kick he'll get nothing lol. 

17 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Mayweather is a cancer to the sport of boxing.  Sad after one of the better matches in the last 20 years (Joshua vs. Kitschko) that this bizzle has to come back and dance around like a vagina for 12 rounds and soil the sport some more.  Hopefully CM can channel is inner Tyson and just corner Mayweather with a barrage of punches as he should be in the better shape. 

I heard CM is set to make $100 schmill but if he does anything MMA related like kick he'll get nothing lol. 

Depends on how well the PPV sells.  Speculation has him at $65-$75 Million base pay with enough points in PPV for him to possibly reach 100 if PPV sales go past the Mayweather-Pacquiao sales figure.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

After Conor signed his half of the deal a week ago, the speculation was that he signed for $65-$75 Million.  The only question was how much Conor would get in PPV points.  If either of you watch the combined press conference with Dana White and Leonard Ellerbe (Mayweather's manager), Dana even makes mention that once Conor cashes his check for the fight in August, he can't know for sure that Conor won't retire after making that kind of money.  Since Conor has made between $10-$13 million per UFC fight after the PPV points are paid out, that would mean that he's obviously raking in a lot of cash.  Conor brings bigger international (mainly Europe) star power to the fight than Floyd does, that's what makes him valuable.  Floyd wants that exposure for himself and his business, Mayweather Promotions.

On the flipside Floyd has said before that he would only fight 9 figure guaranteed fights.  That means that on his side, the contract probably starts out at $100 Million before even the PPV points are even taken into consideration.  He pulled in $300 Million for the Pacquiao fight with 4.4 million ppv buys, so it would stand to reason that he'll do roughly the same with this one as well if it sells the same or better.

Wait wut....there is no way. Please provide sources for that. UFC doesn't pay that kind of money to anyone but front office. 

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

how so?  the guy has shown both to pro boxers and pro MMA guys that if you have the savvy you can earn a ton of money.  Just look at teh payday CM is going to get.  As far as the sport goes, he is one of the best athletes of his generation.  The guy was robbed of an Olympic gold medal, and anyone that understands boxing knows he is a master technician.  Guys half his age dont have the reaction speed and timing that he has at 40.  So what if he doesnt engage in slugfests- those guys end up losing anyways.

Dana White claims that Conor, with PPV points tallied, will make $100 Million.  That Jibes with what has been leaking out.  Base pay around 65-70, and enough PPV points to reach around 100 if it sets a PPV record.

TMZ Sports spoke with Dana White who says the fight will be a 12 round boxing match. Both guys will use 10 ounce gloves. They will fight at 154 pounds. 

The fight will take place at the T-Mobile Arena. Ticket prices have not been set yet.

There WILL be an undercard -- it will be boxing and Mayweather Promotions will handle the matchmaking.

We asked Dana if there was a possibility Roy Jones Jr. will fight Anderson Silva -- he told us, "I highly doubt it."

Both Floyd and Conor will be tested by USADA for performance enhancing drugs.

Dana says he expects Conor to make around $100 million for the fight but wouldn't break down the financials.

Dana says he spoke with Conor Wednesday morning -- he's VERY excited. Conor also believes with all his heart he will knock Mayweather out.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/14/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-official/

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Wait wut....there is no way. Please provide sources for that. UFC doesn't pay that kind of money to anyone but front office. 

Dana said that back when people were getting on him about fighter pay.  I'll have to see if I can find it again.  Either in print or on a YouTube video. 

I remember Brock Lesnar made $2.5 million base pay just to fight Mark Hunt on short-ish notice.  That was all the way back at UFC 200.  That deal opened the floodgates for Conor to demand the recent large purse + PPV points he got for his double title fight.

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Dana said that back when people were getting on him about fighter pay.  I'll have to see if I can find it again.  Either in print or on a YouTube video. 

I remember Brock Lesnar made $2.5 million base pay just to fight Mark Hunt on short-ish notice.  That was all the way back at UFC 200.  That deal opened the floodgates for Conor to demand the recent large purse + PPV points he got for his double title fight.

Lesnar had the entire WWE fan base behind in, and at that point was considered a huge star too. He will definitely get significantly more than that, but you're dreaming if you think he gets anywhere NEAR Mayweather money.

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Lesnar had the entire WWE fan base behind in, and at that point was considered a huge star too. He will definitely get significantly more than that, but you're dreaming if you think he gets anywhere NEAR Mayweather money.

I'm not the one who said he would.  Look at my above post for What Dana White says he's making against Mayweather.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not the one who said he would.  Look at my above post for What Dana White says he's making against Mayweather.

Time will tell. I don't believe the hype. I can only hope the PPV buys aren't anywhere near what they except because this is a ridiculous event that is just disrespecting the sport of boxing. If they wanted to do this in the WWE sure, but not the sweet sciences. 

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Here's what Conor made at UFC 205 in base pay $3,500,000 to show, $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship.  $3.6 million before the PPV buys kicked in.  That PPV was a UFC record if I remember.

http://thesportsdaily.com/mma-manifesto/ufc-205-fighter-salaries-reebok-attendance-gate/

Archived