The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

june1313_uticagallery9_slide.0.jpg

The Comets are poised to see a decent intake of new prospects, while also bidding farewell to a number of players on last year's roster. Last season the Comets just barely missed out on making the playoffs with their chase ending in the final game of the regular season, and will look to return to the hunt for the Calder Cup with a revamped lineup this year.

Among the players who have left is Alexandre Grenier (joining the Florida system), who has been a Comet since the inaugural season and holds the individual team records in goals (67), assists (108), and points (175). Although his consistency issues in Utica have been well-documented, that will leave a big hole to fill up front on a team that has had a history of struggling to generate offense. Benning will have to sign a veteran forward or two to not only fill the gap up front, but make the team more competitive than last year when expected Comets such as Megna and Chaput played with the Canucks for the vast majority of the season and left the Comets looking shallow in offensive depth. Curtis Valk, who had a breakout season with the Comets last season, has also signed with the Panthers.

Trent Cull has been named the second coach in Utica Comets history, replacing Travis Green. He comes with several years of experience as an assistant coach in a successful Syracuse system. Ryan Johnson will serve as the Comets' new GM: Gary Agnew replaces Nolan Baumgartner as an associate coach; Josh Gagnon joins as the new video coach; and Curtis Sanford will carry out goaltending consultant duties in Utica next season.

This post will be updated as changes come to the Comets over the course of the season. Let's Go Comets!

This Season:

Record: 38-26-8-4 (88 points, 4th in the North)

Regular season leading scorers:

Reid Boucher (45) 25-21-46

Michael Chaput (55) 17-25-42

Patrick Wiercioch (58) 10-27-37

Zack MacEwen (66) 10-23-33

Nikolay Goldobin (30) 9-22-31

CURRENT ROSTER

Forwards:

#7 Tanner MacMaster
#9 Yan-Pavel LaPlante (+)

#11 Cam Darcy

#13 Griffen Molino

#14 Tyler Motte

#15 Zack MacEwen

#16 Joseph LaBate (+)

#17 Alexis D'Aoust

#18 Vincent Arseneau

#19 Cole Cassels

#20 Brendan Woods (+)

#21 Michael Chaput

#23 Jayson Megna

#24 Reid Boucher (+)

#27 Tony Cameranesi

#34 Carter Bancks

#36 Wacey Hamilton

#37 Kole Lind

#40 Lukas Jasek

#54 Jonathan Dahlen

#58 Michael Carcone

#77 Nikolay Goldobin

#82 Andrew Cherniwchan

Defensemen:

#2 Aaron Irving
#4 Evan McEneny (+)

#5 Jalen Chatfield

#6 Ashton Sautner

#8 Dylan Blujus

#26 Jaime Sifers

#28 Patrick Wiercioch

#29 Frankie Simonelli

#44 Adam Comrie

#55 Guillaume Brisebois

#57 Willie Corrin

Goalies:

#30 Thatcher Demko

#32 Richard Bachman

#41 Michael Garteig

In the ECHL:

#2 Anton Cederholm

#12 Danny Moynihan

#57 Mackenze Stewart

59 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Any news the ECHL front? Are the Canucks going to share a team? Or have the Fort Wayne Komets? (Sort of natural tie in with Utica Comets?)

Nothing yet... although when you look at that defense and factor in a vet or two being signed, its inevitable that a couple prospects will be in the ECHL so I'm sure something will get done. Fort Wayne would be an interesting fit, way more convenient for Utica than Alaska was anyway.

53 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Grenier's gonna leave a big hole in Utica. 

Definitely. He's been a consistent 45 point guy for them but his chances of making the Canucks have come and gone. There's still a chance they sign him, but he's moved into that category of AHL top six guy and you can pick those guys up year after year so if he's not brought back, I'm sure they'll sign someone to fill the void.

33 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Genuinely going to try and make it out to some games this year.

That'd be awesome. Are you on the east coast or do you just plan on travelling over there?

And we await news of coaches, and players like Zhukenov (if he stays and signs a deal with the Canucks) and Grenier (if he signs an AHL deal, or we put a good enough offer out there on free agency to keep him from leaving).

If the Canucks don't re-sign Labate I'll eat my hat. Would love to see him start the season with the big club, but the fourth line will be pretty crowded so Utica is most likely. He's a beauty though, and gets better with time. Love his grit and size!

Thought I heard Marco Roy signed with another team- am I imagining things?

About Grenier, what's his story? Just never able to put it together in the NHL? I know he's played NHL games, but don't remember ever actually noticing him on the ice.

24 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

If the Canucks don't re-sign Labate I'll eat my hat. Would love to see him start the season with the big club, but the fourth line will be pretty crowded so Utica is most likely. He's a beauty though, and gets better with time. Love his grit and size!

Thought I heard Marco Roy signed with another team- am I imagining things?

About Grenier, what's his story? Just never able to put it together in the NHL? I know he's played NHL games, but don't remember ever actually noticing him on the ice.

I'd be stunned if they didn't re-sign LaBate, he deserves a long look in camp to see if he can hang on that fourth line. Even if he doesn't make it he should be the first call-up for a grinding role.

Just double checked EP, doesn't look like Roy's signed anywhere. He wasn't very noticeable in Utica though so I have doubts he'll even earn an AHL contract.

I think Grenier's playstyle just leaves him a few steps behind when he gets to the NHL. He's known for coasting, not bringing a lot of energy to his game but he's skilled enough that he can still put up points in the AHL. He can have a poor game but make a couple of nice passes, a smooth dangle or two, and end up with a point or two at the end of the night. When he's played with the Canucks he usually gets a drastically reduced amount of TOI and the players are just flat out better so he either can't keep up or can't generate chances against better defenders. He also doesn't use his shot enough... I don't remember what his total was but he clocked a really blistering speed at the superskills last year, which is great except he's a pass-first kind of player. Being a gentle giant doesn't help his cause either.

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I'd be stunned if they didn't re-sign LaBate, he deserves a long look in camp to see if he can hang on that fourth line. Even if he doesn't make it he should be the first call-up for a grinding role.

Just double checked EP, doesn't look like Roy's signed anywhere. He wasn't very noticeable in Utica though so I have doubts he'll even earn an AHL contract.

I think Grenier's playstyle just leaves him a few steps behind when he gets to the NHL. He's known for coasting, not bringing a lot of energy to his game but he's skilled enough that he can still put up points in the AHL. He can have a poor game but make a couple of nice passes, a smooth dangle or two, and end up with a point or two at the end of the night. When he's played with the Canucks he usually gets a drastically reduced amount of TOI and the players are just flat out better so he either can't keep up or can't generate chances against better defenders. He also doesn't use his shot enough... I don't remember what his total was but he clocked a really blistering speed at the superskills last year, which is great except he's a pass-first kind of player. Being a gentle giant doesn't help his cause either.

I definitely agree with you on Labate. He just has the energy and drive to succeed, even with his somewhat limited skill set. He may never score more than 10 points in an NHL season, but I think he will make a team...one year.

Grenier...this is an interesting case. He has skill, no one doubts that. But it just may be that his skill set tops him out as an AHL player. You're right, when he did get called up last year, he did not get much of a chance to show anything. Someone remarked, two seasons ago when he got his first call up ever; he got a break away attempt, but his stick broke when he went to shoot. The person that posted that remarked that he hoped that particular event wouldn't be Grenier's only highlight in the NHL. D**n if it doesn't look like it will be. I would actually like Grenier to be resigned by Utica as one of their veteran forwards, like Archibald was last year. And that shot? 101mph+

Now, if we could just combine the two...Labate's energy and drive, Grenier's skill. You'd have an NHL player for sure!

I am hoping for a considerable roster change this season.  Taking most everyone back from a non playoff team that couldn't score and wasn't physical and expecting different results approaches the definition of insanity.

Grenier has been here four years now and hasn't improved much at all from season one.  Time to part ways which may benefit him in the long run.

Zalewski has never been the same since suffering a pair of concussions and even though he is a local boy I would rather not see the Zman back again.

Sautner has another year left on his ELC so he will probably be back but he really belongs in the ECHL or better yet bought out entirely.

Players like Marco Roy and Yan Pavel Laplante are utterly useless and belong in the ECHL.

They made a big mistake when they signed Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks to 2 year AHL contracts.  Those two were great high energy 4th line players the year that the Comets went to the Calder Cup Finals but now they both are classified as AHL veterans and you can only dress five of them per game.  Those spots are too valuable to waste 40% of them on 4th line grinders.

Cole Cassels through two years has been a complete non factor and has to step it up in his final ELC year.

Subban also in his third year has proved that he can generate offense but still needs to improve his play in his own end.

Goaltending should be solid as Demko should continue to improve and Bachman is a good mentor.

I'd like to see both Archie and Roback brought back and I fully expect Labate to be qualified.

Other than that I want to see some new blood particular a proven playmaker center that can get the puck to guys like Virtanen and a true number one dman.

10 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I am hoping for a considerable roster change this season.  Taking most everyone back from a non playoff team that couldn't score and wasn't physical and expecting different results approaches the definition of insanity.

Grenier has been here four years now and hasn't improved much at all from season one.  Time to part ways which may benefit him in the long run.

Zalewski has never been the same since suffering a pair of concussions and even though he is a local boy I would rather not see the Zman back again.

Sautner has another year left on his ELC so he will probably be back but he really belongs in the ECHL or better yet bought out entirely.

Players like Marco Roy and Yan Pavel Laplante are utterly useless and belong in the ECHL.

They made a big mistake when they signed Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks to 2 year AHL contracts.  Those two were great high energy 4th line players the year that the Comets went to the Calder Cup Finals but now they both are classified as AHL veterans and you can only dress five of them per game.  Those spots are too valuable to waste 40% of them on 4th line grinders.

Cole Cassels through two years has been a complete non factor and has to step it up in his final ELC year.

Subban also in his third year has proved that he can generate offense but still needs to improve his play in his own end.

Goaltending should be solid as Demko should continue to improve and Bachman is a good mentor.

I'd like to see both Archie and Roback brought back and I fully expect Labate to be qualified.

Other than that I want to see some new blood particular a proven playmaker center that can get the puck to guys like Virtanen and a true number one dman.

Whats your thoughts on Zhukenov? How well do you think he'd fit in with this team?

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Whats your thoughts on Zhukenov? How well do you think he'd fit in with this team?

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion about him.  I do know that most Canucks prospects have struggled when making the jump from junior to the AHL.  

44 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I definitely agree with you on Labate. He just has the energy and drive to succeed, even with his somewhat limited skill set. He may never score more than 10 points in an NHL season, but I think he will make a team...one year.

Grenier...this is an interesting case. He has skill, no one doubts that. But it just may be that his skill set tops him out as an AHL player. You're right, when he did get called up last year, he did not get much of a chance to show anything. Someone remarked, two seasons ago when he got his first call up ever; he got a break away attempt, but his stick broke when he went to shoot. The person that posted that remarked that he hoped that particular event wouldn't be Grenier's only highlight in the NHL. D**n if it doesn't look like it will be. I would actually like Grenier to be resigned by Utica as one of their veteran forwards, like Archibald was last year. And that shot? 101mph+

Now, if we could just combine the two...Labate's energy and drive, Grenier's skill. You'd have an NHL player for sure!

Grenier's just caught in that odd place where he's not skilled enough to be a top six guy in the NHL but he's not physical or energetic enough to be effective in your bottom six. Crazy how that broken stick really ended up being symbolic of his NHL chances. I'm sure he'll find a landing spot somewhere else in the AHL or in Europe, he has enough of the needed tools to still carve out a decent career in the lower pro ranks.

LaBate's definitely lacking in the skill department, he'll have to work hard to be effective at the NHL level and not just fill a jersey. He's shown flashes of offensive instincts with the Comets and can be a nuisance in front of the net at times. He's also got a mean streak that we're missing on the big club. I think he and Cramarossa will be in direct competition in camp this year for a spot next to (possibly) Gaunce and Dorsett.

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

That'd be awesome. Are you on the east coast or do you just plan on travelling over there?

I'm going to school in St Catherines, and I have a lot of spare time lol. Will probably go to the games in TO, and maybe some in Rochester/Syracuse

3 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Grenier's just caught in that odd place where he's not skilled enough to be a top six guy in the NHL but he's not physical or energetic enough to be effective in your bottom six. Crazy how that broken stick really ended up being symbolic of his NHL chances. I'm sure he'll find a landing spot somewhere else in the AHL or in Europe, he has enough of the needed tools to still carve out a decent career in the lower pro ranks.

LaBate's definitely lacking in the skill department, he'll have to work hard to be effective at the NHL level and not just fill a jersey. He's shown flashes of offensive instincts with the Comets and can be a nuisance in front of the net at times. He's also got a mean streak that we're missing on the big club. I think he and Cramarossa will be in direct competition in camp this year for a spot next to (possibly) Gaunce and Dorsett.

I think someone will take a flyer on Grenier and offer him a two way contract.  I just don't see it being Vancouver.

5 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I think someone will take a flyer on Grenier and offer him a two way contract.  I just don't see it being Vancouver.

Agreed, players like him can always find work come July 1st as teams try to fill out their depth charts. Probably going to be living off one year deals from now on but scoring's always needed in the AHL.

And re: MacEwen/Zhukenov, I do think MacEwen is probably the more AHL ready of the two. I think Zhukenov (if he signs) will follow a similar path to Carcone last season... they're both smaller skilled players and it took a good two thirds of the season before Carcone really found his game. People have to temper their expectations when it comes to players graduating from junior hockey, unless they've been offensively dominant there (which Zhukenov wasn't).

Speaking of Carcone, he's one of the guys I'm most intrigued to watch this year. Interested to see if he can build off his strong finish to the year.

Archived