The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Young Stars Classic | Sept. 11, 2017 | 2:00 PM PT

-Vintage Canuck-

Based on that last game I'd have to re-arrange our prospect pool rankings a bit.

Chatfield moves up to one of our best defenceman rankings, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets mentioned in the same line as Juolevi soon. All-round brilliance from him consistently this tournament so far. 

Carcone looked great but it was just a flash, need to see that skill and grit consistently but he certainly moves up. That skill and patience will serve him well and he's gritty enough to make it to the NHL, I think he'll break in eventually similar to Burrows.

Molino could have been a flash in the pan too but he's been a bright spark consistently and jumps up a fair way, will be interesting to see how he copes against bigger, stronger men, especially in the AHL.

You know what you're getting with Gadjovich and Lind, and for younger guys they've looked amazing this tournament - certainly see them in the NHL eventually.

MacKewan looked intriguing, I'm not sure if he's got enough skill to produce in the NHL on a consistent basis but that size will get him there and he certainly jumps up, worth a notice.

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Chatfield by far and away the best D. Best defensively and in my opinion best offensively (not as flashy as Juolevi but he consistently made the right offensive play). The other d did not impress me much. 

Boeser had the most iq for forwards. Very composed, good leader and knew where to go. Carcone I think was second best. Lind I'd give third best due to iq he seems ahead of gadjovich, but gadjovich played decently. 

Honorary mention to Laplante. 

Said that at the summer camp too. Everything he does is positive and classy.

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It seems Juolevi wasn't that impressive in the tournament. Should we be worried? 

Taking into account his development has stagnated in the junior level as well and wasn't in an impressive Finnish team as team captain in the recent world juniors. 

:picard:

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It seems Juolevi wasn't that impressive in the tournament. Should we be worried? 

Taking into account his development has stagnated in the junior level as well and wasn't in an impressive Finnish team as team captain in the recent world juniors. 

I can see where you could come to this conclusion.  Watch again, though if you can.  Watch his positioning.  Watch how he gets the puck out of the zone.  He carries it out smooth, calm, and quick.  He chips the puck out over the blue line with a single poke more often than not, what I call "stuffing" at the blue line.  He was good.  Not flashy, but really consistent and reliable.  He was the PP QB yesterday, and did it well.  He knows when to jump up, did it many times, and rarely gets caught. There is definitely a reason he was picked where he was.  He is going to probably get his 9 games this season, just FYI.

5 hours ago, xereau said:

I can see where you could come to this conclusion.  Watch again, though if you can.  Watch his positioning.  Watch how he gets the puck out of the zone.  He carries it out smooth, calm, and quick.  He chips the puck out over the blue line with a single poke more often than not, what I call "stuffing" at the blue line.  He was good.  Not flashy, but really consistent and reliable.  He was the PP QB yesterday, and did it well.  He knows when to jump up, did it many times, and rarely gets caught. There is definitely a reason he was picked where he was.  He is going to probably get his 9 games this season, just FYI.

all good points but I think at this moment , fans should probably feel a little skeptical seeing mathew tkachuk dominating in the NHL ,while the pick we made looks " GOOD , reliable ,and consistent " in a young stars game ..  

Obviously way too early to tell  but not crazy to feel little worried . 

Would really like to see more ..   Hoping he can become an elite dman ,  not just a good one 

2 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

all good points but I think at this moment , fans should probably feel a little skeptical seeing mathew tkachuk dominating in the NHL ,while the pick we made looks " GOOD , reliable ,and consistent " in a young stars game ..  

Would really like to see more ..   Hoping he can become an elite dman ,  not just a good one 

Dude your expectations for every player coming out of the entry draft is too high. Not every player jumps in like that, just because cause Tkachuk jumped in doesn't mean we should feel bad. Be patient and stop worrying about non sense. 

50 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Dude your expectations for every player coming out of the entry draft is too high. Not every player jumps in like that, just because cause Tkachuk jumped in doesn't mean we should feel bad. Be patient and stop worrying about non sense. 

Not every player dude .. 

Juolevi , the player we picked instead of Tkatchuk ....

Damn right people have high expectations for him ..  its not none sense ,  its common sense  

2 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

Not every player dude .. 

Juolevi , the player we picked instead of Tkatchuk ....

Damn right people have high expectations for him ..  its not none sense ,  its common sense  

Not at all. We picked him, knowing he needed a few years. No one knew Tkachuk would come in and do what he's done, just like every other draft. I wanted to draft Tkachuk but I'm far from disappointed, because I have a brain and understand that some people need more time. 

cant we share our  opinions without trashing each other  ? 

In my first post , I actually said that it was still too early to call ..     did you read my post ?   

dont be a troll    .. come on ..  edmonton fans like you and canuck fans like me ,can still be friends on this board 

4 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

13 goals is "dominating" now? good to know. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

perhaps I went a little too far with dominating ..  lol  ..  i could gave chosen a less dominating word ..   he has been pretty frickin good though ..   

this isnt the first time the comparison has come up 

3 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

perhaps I went a little too far with dominating ..  lol  ..  i could gave chosen a less dominating word ..   he has been pretty frickin good though ..   

this isnt the first time the comparison has come up 

he did fine. He made more headlines than the team wanted though with the dirty play, and that would have been double if he did that stuff in our market. He's just the wrong guy for us for a lot of reasons imo. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he did fine. He made more headlines than the team wanted though with the dirty play, and that would have been double if he did that stuff in our market. He's just the wrong guy for us for a lot of reasons imo. 

i dont disagree at all ..    heres hoping that Oli becomes as good as he thinks he can be ..   he has no issue with confidence and I really dig that ..  

Hope in a couple years from now we have reason to celebrate a genius pick 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the biggest problem is that most people aren't giving out prospects a real chance and they aren't patient. There seeing players like Tkachuk getting put numbers in the NHL and see him scoring goals, playing with "grit", and all that whereas Juolevi hasn't really got his chance yet. Also people are frustrated with Juolevi's Young Stars game and already throwing him off. Just need to be patient with players like Juolevi AND Virtanen. There time will come.

29 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

i dont disagree at all ..    heres hoping that Oli becomes as good as he thinks he can be ..   he has no issue with confidence and I really dig that ..  

Hope in a couple years from now we have reason to celebrate a genius pick 

exactly. He has the potential to be a top paring D, but that takes 5-7 years so having a top paring D man at 23 is actually fantastic for us if it pans out that way. But thats also 5 years of watching Tkachuck. I just think it shows how hard it is to draft and develop D vs. forwards. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

exactly. He has the potential to be a top paring D, but that takes 5-7 years so having a top paring D man at 23 is actually fantastic for us if it pans out that way. But thats also 5 years of watching Tkachuck. I just think it shows how hard it is to draft and develop D vs. forwards. 

The funny thing is that this past season is basically the extent of what Tkachuks peak will be. A $&!# disturber with endless anticks and garbage around the net. Probably good for a few 50 point seasons in his absolute prime which is okay..... if your in to that kind of stuff. 

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

The funny thing is that this past season is basically the extent of what Tkachuks peak will be. A $&!# disturber with endless anticks and garbage around the net. Probably good for a few 50 point seasons in his absolute prime which is okay..... if your in to that kind of stuff. 

the one thing that stands out as impressive to me is he scored the 13 goals with only ~35% ozone starts, a big part of that is his line mates but still thats pretty good. But the rest of the antics, no thanks. 

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the one thing that stands out as impressive to me is he scored the 13 goals with only ~35% ozone starts, a big part of that is his line mates but still thats pretty good. But the rest of the antics, no thanks. 

Yeah, honestly, he kicked ass for a rookie right out of the OHL. There's no arguing it. 

The antics are crap. He's full of piss and vinegar, that one. I kinda like it, and kinda don't. I really liked Burrows' antics. But the kid definitely stepped over the line a few times. I'm surprised he didn't get more crap.

Archived