The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] VAN - ANA , VAN - TOR

VAN: 

4th Round Draft Pick (2018)

ANA: 

Thomas Vanek

Anaheim takes a flyer on Vanek, with the Cup in mind.

Vancouver dumps him to make room on the roster for younger players, as the team offloads assets at TDL

VAN: 

Noah Juulsen

3rd Round Draft Pick (2018)

MTL:

Erik Gudbranson 

Jordan Subban

3rd Round Draft Pick (2019)

Montreal wins the war for Gudbranson, rounds out a really good top 4 with Weber, Alzner, Petry, Gudbranson. Instead of going with a rebuild, they try to slip into the playoffs with this move

Vancouver gets the RHD they're looking for

What do you guys think?

These are the moves I would make at the TDL

10 minutes ago, DudePerfect said:

VAN: 

ANA: 

Thomas Vanek

Vancouver dumps him to make room on the roster for younger players, as the team offloads assets at TDL

VAN: 

Noah Juulsen

MTL:

Erik Gudbranson 

Jordan Subban

Montreal wins the war for Gudbranson, rounds out a really good top 4 with Weber, Alzner, Petry, Gudbranson. Instead of going with a rebuild, they try to slip into the playoffs with this move

What do you guys think?

Dont know if Montreal needs Guddy unless they are really worried about their depth on the right side. Would like to get juulsen, but think that to do so we would need to send a young forward prospect with promise back

So, we give away Gudbranson, Vanek, Subban and a 3rd for Juulsen, a 3rd and a 4th? 

Basically Guddy, Vanek and Subban for Juulsen and a 4th. Hmm, doesn't seem to add up to me. If Vanek only gets us a 4th, I think I'd rather keep him. I'd like to get Juulsen though. I'd be okay with that MTL trade.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, we give away Gudbranson, Vanek, Subban and a 3rd for Juulsen, a 3rd and a 4th? 

Basically Guddy, Vanek and Subban for Juulsen and a 4th. Hmm, doesn't seem to add up to me. If Vanek only gets us a 4th, I think I'd rather keep him. I'd like to get Juulsen though. I'd be okay with that MTL trade.

I think Vanek gets us nothing higher than a 3rd. All teams are paying for is a playoff rental that plays little to no defense, so I say 4th is realistic, and 3rd is the best case scenario. 

Montreal has way too many Dmen, if anything, they need to unload that depth to find some scoring up front or find a higher end Dman to play with Weber.  Also after trading away Sergachyov, Marc Bergevin would be dumb to trade the future in Juulsen away.  Juulsen is going to be solid, Montreal cannot afford to trade the one guy who will eventually bring youth, grit and skill for an already aging blueline in Montreal.  Unless we are willing to part with a scoring centre like Pettersson, Gaudette etc I dont see it likely happening.

I honestly think Vanek is a better fit in St Louis, St Louis have no Right handed shooters in the their top nine forward group, and considering that they are poised to make a serious attempt in the playoffs with their team structuring, Vanek would add solid depth to them

1 hour ago, DudePerfect said:

VAN: 

ANA: 

Thomas Vanek

VAN: 

Noah Juulsen

MTL:

Erik Gudbranson 

Jordan Subban

What do you guys think?

I'm still looking for the Tor - Van trade. :huh:

[Proposals] VAN - ANA , VAN - TOR

1 hour ago, DudePerfect said:

VAN: 

ANA: 

Thomas Vanek

VAN: 

Noah Juulsen

MTL:

Erik Gudbranson 

Jordan Subban

What do you guys think?

1st trade: Vanek for a 4th round draft, I will not consider. Vanek is good as a bridge of rebuild.

2nd trade:  Basically Guddy & Subban to Noah Juulsen, Benning will not do that, otherwise he might be fired.

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Vanek is on a great contract is producing numbers and playing overall well how do we only get a 4th for that explain please

ps: Burrows got us Dahlen just for a bit of a reference...

Jordan Schmaltz?  Would be great if we could pick him up for Thomas.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:44 AM, Dats hockey said:

I think we need a young Dman with some extra size. We need to replace Guddy or Elder, I’ve given up on tryamkin coming back but if he does great.

Size is important, but mobility (in a solid transition game) with physicality to top it off would trump it in today's league IMO, even if it's a smaller guy (e.g. if Dorsett was a defenseman, heart and hustle can win out).  There's a reason why someone like Tanev is so valuable in today's league even though he's smaller, whereas Guddy gets heat from our media (not planning to crack open a can of worms and start a debate but just making a point): Tanev's smart, makes the right play and gets the puck moving the right way. 

Guddy is essentially a remnant of a former era, where size and hitting ability without speed and the ability to start the rush results in getting beat in their own end.  Aside from lacking in foot speed sometimes, bigger guys aren't even always the most physical (Edler for instance doesn't always hit either), and just because someone's smaller doesn't mean he can't hit while being effective in the other elements of the game (you also can't hit what you can't catch).  Of course, it would be great to have a legitimate deterrent when things start to get physical and feisty out there, but if the difference in size and weight (e.g. give up a couple inches and around 20 lbs. but gain mobility, and the lighter guy still hits and can get the job done) then I'd be happy to make that trade-off.

Lastly, Schmaltz is 6'2", which isn't that small by today's standards, and scouts mention a combo of "good instincts" and "some physicality" to his game, which was why I mentioned him as a particular prospect of choice to target.  Feel free to disagree :)  

22 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Size is important, but mobility (in a solid transition game) with physicality to top it off would trump it in today's league IMO, even if it's a smaller guy (e.g. if Dorsett was a defenseman, heart and hustle can win out).  There's a reason why someone like Tanev is so valuable in today's league even though he's smaller, whereas Guddy gets heat from our media (not planning to crack open a can of worms and start a debate but just making a point): Tanev's smart, makes the right play and gets the puck moving the right way. 

Guddy is essentially a remnant of a former era, where size and hitting ability without speed and the ability to start the rush results in getting beat in their own end.  Aside from lacking in foot speed sometimes, bigger guys aren't even always the most physical (Edler for instance doesn't always hit either), and just because someone's smaller doesn't mean he can't hit while being effective in the other elements of the game (you also can't hit what you can't catch).  Of course, it would be great to have a legitimate deterrent when things start to get physical and feisty out there, but if the difference in size and weight (e.g. give up a couple inches and around 20 lbs. but gain mobility, and the lighter guy still hits and can get the job done) then I'd be happy to make that trade-off.

Lastly, Schmaltz is 6'2", which isn't that small by today's standards, and scouts mention a combo of "good instincts" and "some physicality" to his game, which was why I mentioned him as a particular prospect of choice to target.  Feel free to disagree :)  

Ohhh never said I disagree. But I see st.louis and they have 2 very mobile and big defence you may know them :P and I’m a bit jelious..... it would be really nice to have atleast 1 d man like that wouldn’t you say?

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

Ohhh never said I disagree. But I see st.louis and they have 2 very mobile and big defence you may know them :P and I’m a bit jelious..... it would be really nice to have atleast 1 d man like that wouldn’t you say?

Lol if you're talking about Pietrangelo and Parayko, I'm jealous of them too.  Good thing Shattenkirk cost too much, otherwise wow that back end.

Nonetheless, jealousy aside, in the context of a trade like this we can only hope that the lottery pick that is the prospect that we can realistically acquire for Vanek pans out, and as long as enough scouting is done I think we can come away with a solid asset even if they're a late round pick, as long as they have a positive development trajectory.  Parayko was a 3rd round pick, heck John Klingberg was a 5th and look at him now leading the league in scoring. Will Butcher wasn't drafted until the 5th as well, and see how he broke out into the league this season?  Development can happen, even if it's in a lower round prospect.  That being said, Schmaltz at least has the pedigree and a historically higher chance of success on his side (not saying all 1st's pan out, far from it).

Bottom line, if they can get a good right-side D prospect to replace Vanek sign me up, but again let's not chase strictly for size.

Archived