The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS IS THE DAY, Canucks get #7

TheGuardian_

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Watch those teams tank lol. We will beat ARz 3 of the 4 games and do ok vs edm I bet ya lol

Doesn't matter if we drop. Fate. The universe or hockey gods decide our fate.  We ant promised Dahlin. All we can tank for is a min of a top 4 pick.

Got a feeling were gonna grab a Bouchard or Dobson at like 3 or 4 lol

Bank on Canucks luck, always...

But this year, I just have a feeling we’ll win the lottery pick. 

I just have a feeling about it. 

25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

For a chance to get one of Zadina, BT or Boqvist at 4th OA, JB better get his priorities straight by the TDL. 

I want to trade up and get another top 10 pick. Combo hutton, Baertschi, Dowd whomever. Get us a chance to draft a couple of d men or a forward and d.  I can see us trying to get into the top 15.

Say we land 5th. Trade down to 7. Flip the 2nd u get with Baer or Hutton to get the 15th pick.  I really hope we have 2 high pick this draft.  Jimbo can move any of Granlund, Baertschi, or Hutton in any fashion that makes us better.

I'm all in for adding high picks at any or all those players expense.  Let's go deep on the drafting front.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I may feel some luck. But we will finish where we are meant too.  At least we're going out there and competing. I'm happy we can atleast show up and give a decent effort.

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d draft those very players next and next and next. 

First, I take skill. Boqvist is compared to Karlsson, but better, they say, at the same age. He’s my first pick for a system devoid of offensive D. 

But then there’s BT, my ideal forward. And on a wimpy Canucks roster.

Also, Zadina with EP would be scary. 

Who would you take with the 4 OA, assuming the Russian and the big Swede are gone? The rest are not going in any order I can make out so you get to pick one that you like, I guess. I take Boqvist because he’s too good not to take a risk on. At worst, I see Letang, at best Karlsson. Or we get another J Subban too. Prospects, anyone’s guess. 

I would look at options to drop down or just take the best kid there. I am not sold on Boqvist

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

I would look at options to drop down or just take the best kid there. I am not sold on Boqvist

99% of the time I would be the guy banging on about needing the next Foote or Pronger Dman. It’s my thing, actually, but rare is it to be in a position to get this kind of skill on the back end. I’m not sold either, beyond a hope and a prayer that we don’t become the Smurfs. 

7D920339-6B6D-4269-BD4E-1F44F77FB7CB.jpeg.45377f83668e1d94e8e26fb678aa7c09.jpeg

8 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

So would you leave those forwards I mentioned on the table to drop down and select one of those other Dmen? 

That group of forwards in the top 5 all project to be 1st line players, impact players.  

Impressive crop. A luxury; another accidental-tank high pick for Benning, who gets all the praise for making the right pick and none of the criticism for landing there every year despite his best efforts, it seems. Best gig in Hockey. 

15 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Im with ya just got that feeling plus i think the organization is purposely going full tank mode to give ourselves the best odds. Just the whole vancouver and swedes connection you get the sense its our year for 1st overall.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Not necessarily.  Obviously their best prospects - Demko aside (and he's a very young goaltender) - are not in the AHL - Pettersson SweHL, Juolevi Finnish, Gaudette college, and a bunch of picks still in junior....

Their closest to NHL ready players in Utica are not former draft picks - they were acquired by other means - free agency, the trade market, etc.

I like Demko, Cassels, Brisebois  - but I'm not sure any of them are ready - that's why we have Trent Cull et al.

You also have the group in Vancouver now. Holm, Boucher, Goldobin and Archibald. The tough job Benning has is drafting a possible line up for next fall in Vancouver and making sure he has room for those who might push for a Canuck spot. The Twins say they are not committed but if they are then does Benning move Vanek for a 3rd or 2nd Rounder? I think that has to be yes. If Benning is offered a 1st Rounder ++ for Tanev can he move him and still have enough vet presence on the back end? Again I think he has to do a deal like that.  

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So would you leave those forwards I mentioned on the table to drop down and select one of those other Dmen? 

That group of forwards in the top 5 all project to be 1st line players, impact players.  

Impressive crop. A luxury; another accidental-tank high pick for Benning, who gets all the praise for making the right pick and none of the criticism for landing there every year despite his best efforts, it seems. Best gig in Hockey. 

Again I repeat , the chance to get a norris trophy candidate comes from one place and one place only. The Draft. we can get forwards in free agency, trades or evern draft them later ourselves but these types of Defense men that are in this draft do not come along often. Boqvist is touted as a Karlsson. I am not saying this kid doesn't have talent but we need to be tougher to play against and we need Size with skill at the back end. The two best examples of this in this Draft are Bode Wilde and Evan Bouchard and these two kids can skate hit and have cannons from the point. and they are both 6 ft or higher. We need to get bigger on the back end. Id love to see us draft both of these. No more smurfs.

There are lots of solid defensemen in the top 100.

My hope is that JB picks up several picks by the TDL to burn on poaching as much of this crop of Dmen as possible. Build from the D out.

If there are any goalies or folks interested in those weirdos and that position, are there any good goalies in this draft, mid-draft? We might need to start finding steals to put some insurance into that position, behind Demko. When I say build a D-first foundation, it involves the goal position, which is not my forte to evaluate. (although I thought Cloutier was an awful goalie when he was coming up and got that one right... does he still hold the playoff suckcess GAA record?)

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thats because nothing was left in the cupboard from the previous GM. Traded all the picks away and had nothing on the farm. 5 of the top 50 prospects in the NHL are Canuck property. you can argue you dont like the way Benning has picked in the draft but he has done a better job of finding the better players.

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

There are lots of solid defensemen in the top 100.

My hope is that JB picks up several picks by the TDL to burn on poaching as much of this crop of Dmen as possible. Build from the D out.

If there are any goalies or folks interested in those weirdos and that position, are there any good goalies in this draft, mid-draft? We might need to start finding steals to put some insurance into that position, behind Demko. When I say build a D-first foundation, it involves the goal position, which is not my forte to evaluate. (although I thought Cloutier was an awful goalie when he was coming up and got that one right... does he still hold the playoff suckcess GAA record?)

I dont disagree on the goalie mid draft but our priority this year had to be on D

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Again I repeat , the chance to get a norris trophy candidate comes from one place and one place only. The Draft. we can get forwards in free agency, trades or evern draft them later ourselves but these types of Defense men that are in this draft do not come along often. Boqvist is touted as a Karlsson. I am not saying this kid doesn't have talent but we need to be tougher to play against and we need Size with skill at the back end. The two best examples of this in this Draft are Bode Wilde and Evan Bouchard and these two kids can skate hit and have cannons from the point. and they are both 6 ft or higher. We need to get bigger on the back end. Id love to see us draft both of these. No more smurfs.

Simple question:

Do you take Boqvist, the consensus top rated Dman behind Dahlin, at 4 if he is there?

I get the size and being tougher to play against part. I wrote the book on it in this forum. I wanted one answer to one question on who you’d take at 4th OA. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

they took Dipietro last year in the 3rd.  Demko isn't the only goalie prospect in the pipeline.

I agree old news I was just saying looking at goaltending mid draft isnt a bad idea. My favoritism for N american defense men is known. I dont want to attack anyone's opinion that is different. I think we have drafted enough small forwards and d men in the past decade to see we need to try something different

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You also have the group in Vancouver now. Holm, Boucher, Goldobin and Archibald. The tough job Benning has is drafting a possible line up for next fall in Vancouver and making sure he has room for those who might push for a Canuck spot. The Twins say they are not committed but if they are then does Benning move Vanek for a 3rd or 2nd Rounder? I think that has to be yes. If Benning is offered a 1st Rounder ++ for Tanev can he move him and still have enough vet presence on the back end? Again I think he has to do a deal like that.  

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

they already have a handful of AHLers in the lineup.

What Guardian is asking is for more Megna!

On the Tanev point - I don't move Tanev unless it returns a placeholder as a secondary piece 0 or NHL ready principal   ie deal him to Tampa - Foote or a 1st and Cirelli - take back Coburn/Koekkoek/Sustr in the deal.

The problem with dealing Tanev for a 1st is that 1) you're likely dealing with contenders, and therefore late 1sts that don't begin to compensate you on Tanev's value.  I know everyone wants another 1st in the draft - but those spots in the round come with odds that are not worthwhile - 30% ish percent is not good enough to deal your best defenseman - the risk is too high - there needs to be an NHL asset, and imo, in picks alone he's worth considerably more than a late 1st.

Archived