The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booking on Expedia (Or other agencies)

NucksPatsFan

In the process of booking a trip. 

Looked up flight+hotel packages last Friday, found some great deals, but thought I'd wait to see if any new flights/hotel prices come out.

Checked exact same dates today, and the same great deals from 5 days ago have increased from 200-700$ .. wtf?

I've heard of these websites tracking your activity and will show higher prices when they know you're likely to book. I tried clearing the cookies but still getting the same high prices. 

Could this just be that the prices did in fact go up? Or should I take my laptop to a Starbucks and use their network so that expedia doesn't think it's me?

Any other experiences with this? Any tips?

Note: I'm stuck to booking on Expedia because I have $700 off, so at the end, it will be cheaper than booking by any other means. I just don't want to pay 1700$ for a package when that hotel was willing to sell that package for $1100 5 days ago. It's for YVR to JFK/LAG in Mid-October Monday-Friday

Here’s s hint. Delete your cache and cookies. Us web site nerds track your search history. The more you check the more interested we can tell you are. We can narrow it to your device so going to another location doesn’t really matter. Just delete your cache and cookies. 

Side note when it comes to airlines. How they chose prices is they use historical data to determine the price per seat they feel they can sell out at. 

They always list there cheapest flights first. Once those sell out they move to the next tier, so on and so on. So don’t expect the price to drop. The only real times a flight will drop is when the pricers made a mistake and over priced in which they sell at a discounted rate which doesn’t happen too often. So its always better to book earlier than later. 

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Here’s s hint. Delete your cache and cookies. Us web site nerds track your search history. The more you check the more interested we can tell you are. We can narrow it to your device so going to another location doesn’t really matter. Just delete your cache and cookies. 

Thanks for the tip  :)

i have used these booking methods with great success in the past

if you see a good deal book it

don't delay

when they have sold a certain percentage

they kick the prices back up

viewing it as some sort of conspiracy or tracking issue is nonsense in my experience

i have never encountered that issue and have done a lot of booking in my past

6 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

In the process of booking a trip. 

Looked up flight+hotel packages last Friday, found some great deals, but thought I'd wait to see if any new flights/hotel prices come out.

Checked exact same dates today, and the same great deals from 5 days ago have increased from 200-700$ .. wtf?

I've heard of these websites tracking your activity and will show higher prices when they know you're likely to book. I tried clearing the cookies but still getting the same high prices. 

Could this just be that the prices did in fact go up? Or should I take my laptop to a Starbucks and use their network so that expedia doesn't think it's me?

Any other experiences with this? Any tips?

Note: I'm stuck to booking on Expedia because I have $700 off, so at the end, it will be cheaper than booking by any other means. I just don't want to pay 1700$ for a package when that hotel was willing to sell that package for $1100 5 days ago. It's for YVR to JFK/LAG in Mid-October Monday-Friday

I run a hotel for a company that runs multiple lodges in multiple resorts. We update our prices daily based on occupancy %.  The airlines do the same.

40 minutes ago, Violator said:

Call the hotel they might give you a better rate as they have to pay money to expedia and alot of the time the hotel wont be sold out.

Ask for in house reservations as the branded hotels mostly have call centers elsewhere that deal with the bulk of calls. Expedia & booking.com take 20-25% as commission. Almost every company will knock off at least 10%.  Except Days Inn in downtown Van...they're &^@#ing useless....  

15 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I run a hotel for a company that runs multiple lodges in multiple resorts. We update our prices daily based on occupancy %.  The airlines do the same.

Ask for in house reservations as the branded hotels mostly have call centers elsewhere that deal with the bulk of calls. Expedia & booking.com take 20-25% as commission. Almost every company will knock off at least 10%.  Except Days Inn in downtown Van...they're &^@#ing useless....  

Ive stayed at the days in for the fireworks what a dump mabye they upgraded from when I stayed in 2012. 

Thanks for the tips everyone. 

I'm regretting not booking the great deal at Omni Berkshire Hotel in Manhattan when I saw it, it was $980 per person CAD last Friday including flights, and as of yesterday it's up to $1890 ..

I'll search around, as I don't plan on departing for 6 months. 

Great tip with the cache and cookies. I might also try just using a different computer lol.

I can't call the hotel and book directly unfortunately, as I'd like to use the $700 off I have on Expedia's website through my credit card points.

13 hours ago, Violator said:

Ive stayed at the days in for the fireworks what a dump mabye they upgraded from when I stayed in 2012. 

Needed a 1 br suite for a stay in June...everything was $350 +  Days Inn actually wanted more by calling direct. I said I can book it online for $298 and you're asking $400...   'Well I can take 10% off....'  

I just hung up and booked at a dumpier hotel than I'd normally stay at.  I can get crazy good rates with a few companies but they're booked up. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Friends of the South Coast region.... would/can any of you recommend a good hotel in the Abbotsford/Chilliwack/Hope area... as I don’t feel like driving 1600km without staying somewhere...

The Sandman in Abbotsford is really the only good 'go to' spot. It's got a Moxies restaraunt and bar downstairs.

Archived