The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crack for Jack?

tas

Well drafting the smallest dman in the draft, a guy just like Benning isn't going to push this team higher in the standings, if this is all they do, they don't trade for another 1rst rounder then they just wasted another draft. This kid is 3 to 4 years out yet.

I guess Benning is just working for is next job.

Disappointed? Yes!

Maybe Demko for a NYI 1rst and then select Bouchard or Dobson

7 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Did anyone else notice that none of the Hughes looked happy that we drafted Quinn (including the man himself)?  They looked almost horrified.

It was because Detroit (their hometown and the pick right before Vancouver) passed on him.

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

And, there were a whole bunch of American teams drafting right after us (and McDavid).  We were clearly not the team they wanted to draft him, which is extremely unfortunate.

Don't know where you're getting that from aside from the fact most of the NHL teams are American. If I was born in Vancouver, spent my childhood watching the Canucks, and had the chance to be drafted by them, I'd feel the same way. Kids want to play, and he'll play in Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, he's American, and American hockey players have a long and storied history of not wanting to play hockey in Canada (if there's an opportunity to play in the States).

Bud, it's all conjecture, you're just blanketing all American players under a half-assed assumption. But sure, the kid looked sad because it wasn't an American that drafted and not because his hometown Detroit passed on him.

9 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, he's American, and American hockey players have a long and storied history of not wanting to play hockey in Canada (if there's an opportunity to play in the States).

demko, boeser, gaudette ... the canucks have a terrible track record with american born ncaa players.

8 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Jack is a center. We have Horvat and Petterson already. 

We don't need to tank for him. Let's try to win this year.

you can never have enough centers. 

16 hours ago, tas said:

the canucks have a terrible track record with american born ncaa players.

We also have a track-record of American players forcing trades back to the States (Kesler, Luongo).

EDIT:  Yes, I know Luongo was born in Canada - the point I was trying to make is that, even when he played here, he lived in the USA, with his family (who are all Americans).  He's not Canadian anymore, he lives in the US and he wanted to go back to be with his family.  The fact that he has Canadian citizenship doesn't matter, for all intents and purposes he's American.  His home has been in the US for many, many years now.

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, his hometown is actually Orlando or Toronto (which he left to play in the USA).

Yeah looking at it now the kid's not from Detroit, but he has roots in Michigan. Replay the draft, when Detroit drafted Zadina, the Hughes' absolutely looked skyward on it.

8 minutes ago, tas said:

demko, boeser, gaudette ... the canucks have a terrible track record with american born ncaa players.

you can never have enough centers. 

I agree, but we have a full cupboard is what I'm saying, and we should strive for winning seasons now. I'm not saying trade picks, hell No, but no tanks.

18 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Bud, it's all conjecture, you're just blanketing all American players under a half-assed assumption. But sure, the kid looked sad because it wasn't an American that drafted and not because his hometown Detroit passed on him.

Good I want him super ticked off.  No better motivation for the kid to show how huge a mistake for the Dead Wings to pass on him!

42 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Did anyone else notice that none of the Hughes looked happy that we drafted Quinn (including the man himself)?  They looked almost horrified.

Oh god you negative nancys like to nit pick everything, the tank thread at HF is still open I believe.

17 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

We also have a track-record of American players forcing trades back to the States (Kesler, Luongo).

luongo is from montreal and played in the qmjhl and kesler was in the organization for over a decade. 

Archived