The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

More trouble with the new impaired driving laws, more trouble with racism or more trouble with both?

video at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/fined-for-cleaning-his-car/vi-AAFxxSt?ocid=spartandhp

A 45-year-old man who was fined for cleaning his car is accusing Montreal police of racial profiling and says it’s not his first encounter with the SPVM. Aimée Lemieux has the details .

I'm a bit surprised that someone didn't create a thread about this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rcmp-suspect-sabotage-in-sea-to-sky-gondola-cable-collapse/ar-AAFCRYe

RCMP said Saturday they believe someone may have intentionally cut a cable on the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish after gondolas crashed to the ground early in the morning, causing significant damage.

No one was injured. RCMP say they are still assessing the damage but the early signs point to the cable being cut.

Squamish RCMP Const. Ashley MacKay said authorities are inspecting the full length of the cable.

The busy attraction was scheduled to open at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, but the company says that it will remain closed for the foreseeable future. 

Of course, we're all thankful that no-one was hurt, but the question remains: What if the gondolas didn't come down when they did? What if they were occupied?

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm a bit surprised that someone didn't create a thread about this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rcmp-suspect-sabotage-in-sea-to-sky-gondola-cable-collapse/ar-AAFCRYe

Of course, we're all thankful that no-one was hurt, but the question remains: What if the gondolas didn't come down when they did? What if they were occupied?

We’d be trying to pin it on

a)mental health 

b)domestic terrorism

c)international terrorism

This isn't a Chernobyl level disaster, but because of what we now know about the Soviet government's attempts to cover up the 1986 accident, it is nonetheless concerning. Apparently so much so, that locals are rushing to buy iodine tablets:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/europe/russia-jet-propulsion-blast-radiation-intl/index.html

Five employees of Russia's atomic agency have been killed in a blast at a military test site in northern Russia, the state-run Rosatom said Saturday.

The five were killed "while testing a liquid jet propulsion system," Rosatom, which oversees all Russian nuclear projects, said in a statement on its website.

It added three more people were injured in the incident on Thursday and "have burns of varying severity."

The agency told Tass, a Russian state-run news agency, that the explosion occurred during a missile test on an offshore platform near Severodvinsk. The town in the Arkhangelsk region is home to a naval base and a shipyard. Authorities said the port has been closed off after the incident..

"After the tests were completed, the rocket fuel ignited and detonated," Rosatom said, adding that the explosion threw several employees into the sea. "The search continued until there was no hope left (that) survivors will be found," it said, according to Tass.
The Russian Defense Ministry said at the time that two people died while testing the liquid jet propulsion system and that no dangerous substances were released into the atmosphere.
"The tragedy occurred during works related to the engineering and technical support of isotopic sources in a liquid propulsion system," the ministry said in a statement.
However, local authorities in Severodvinsk released a statement Thursday that said there was a radiation spike following the blast. That statement has since been deleted from the official website.
A spokesperson for the Severodvinsk administration told RBC, a Russian daily business newspaper, that the statement had been removed from the website "as the situation is being handled by the Ministry of Defense."
The local authorities said sensors in Severodvinsk "recorded a short-term increase in the radiation background" at 11:50 a.m. local time (4:50 a.m. ET) on Thursday.
The statement went on to say the radiation level decreased between 11:50 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. local time. It added that by 2 p.m. the radiation levels in Severodvinsk had returned to normal.
A number of pharmacies in the region, including chains Apteka29 and VITA, said they've experienced shortages of iodine tablets after local residents rushed to buy them following the blast.

When people ask me why I don't believe in God, I point them to stories like this one:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/calgary-judge-to-decide-if-grandfather-guilty-in-beating-death-of-5-year-old/ar-AAFNGmy?li=AAggXBV

A judge is set to decide whether a Calgary grandfather is guilty of beating to death his five-year-old grandson, a boy who was sent to Canada from Mexico just months earlier by his mother who hoped he would have a better life here.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Richard Neufeld will deliver his decision Wednesday morning, following Allan Perdomo Lopez' manslaughter trial, which took place in June. 

Perdomo Lopez's wife, Carolina Perdomo, was originally charged in the case but earlier this year her charge was stayed by prosecutor Shane Parker.

Emilio suffered a catastrophic brain injury on July 9, 2015.

It took Perdomo Lopez 2½ hours to get his unconscious grandson to a hospital after the child was injured. Emilio died eight days after he was admitted. The only people in the hospital room at the time were hospital staff. 

Some of the Crown's strongest evidence came in the form of what it described as an apparent confession after police set up recording devices in Perdomo Lopez' car and home in the months after Emilio's death.

In one of the recorded conversations, Perdomo Lopez refers to Emilio as an "ungrateful demon" and says "I didn't want to kill that child."

But defence lawyer Darren Mahoney argued Perdomo Lopez is a superstitious man who was actually praying for forgiveness for bringing Emilio from Mexico and bringing a curse into his house — not for killing the boy.

Mahoney also argued Emilio's injuries could have been inflicted by other adults who had access to the child.

Doctors testified the boy's small body showed he'd suffered abuse for weeks if not months leading up to his death.

A man who worked at a local flea market every Sunday told the judge he watched as the boy deteriorated until he was barely able to walk and had a bandage on his head.

Five months before his death, Emilio's mother had sent her son from Mexico to live with Perdomo Lopez. 

Based on photos taken of Emilio when he arrived in Calgary, the boy had no visible signs of injury.

But by the time he was taken to hospital, Emilio had bruises and scars in varying stages of healing.

The boy's back was marked with scars from being whipped with a belt, prosecutor Shane Parker told the court. Bruises covered his feet, shins, knees, thighs, groin, stomach, chest, arms, face and head. And, on Emilio's left upper arm: a bruise in the shape of an adult-sized grip mark.

How a so-called loving and benevolent God could allow a little boy to suffer such abuse for months, is beyond imagination. The only logical answer for me is that there is no God.

Scumbags like Donald Trump live long, privileged lives, while innocent little boys no nothing but suffering for the entirety of their all to brief lives. It just doesn't fit the narrative of an all-powerful being who "loves everyone"....

And please, spare me the "we mere mortals can't comprehend the great plan" routine. It's tantamount to answering "magic" for anything you don't understand.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Stories like this one make my blood boil. I just can't help think of what this poor child's life was like...:(

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

When people ask me why I don't believe in God, I point them to stories like this one:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/calgary-judge-to-decide-if-grandfather-guilty-in-beating-death-of-5-year-old/ar-AAFNGmy?li=AAggXBV

How a so-called loving and benevolent God could allow a little boy to suffer such abuse for months, is beyond imagination. The only logical answer for me is that there is no God.

Scumbags like Donald Trump live long, privileged lives, while innocent little boys no nothing but suffering for the entirety of their all to brief lives. It just doesn't fit the narrative of an all-powerful being who "loves everyone"....

And please, spare me the "we mere mortals can't comprehend the great plan" routine. It's tantamount to answering "magic" for anything you don't understand.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Stories like this one make my blood boil. I just can't help think of what this poor child's life was like...:(

Best excuse I've ever heard is that these problems could be fixed by humans, god isn't needed.

HE doesn't love by way of stepping in when man could easily solve the problems with his God given intelligence.

HE gives man the tools to strive or fail on their own accord. 

HE allows man to understand all life is suffering and redemption awaits the faithful.

HE doesn't exist, is the more likely scenario.

You know, it's the biggest elephant in this planets room. 

We can't even have a god thread here on CDC. People have their knickers in a twist over sky fairies still and it's 2019! All the death, all the disputes, all the wars, all for a fictional solution to existential concerns.

Drives me nuts when I hear leaders of Countries going on about religion. Separation of Church and State is soo important but seems to be more than ever falling by the way side in current global politics. 

• Upvote 2

Somebody at FortisBC really effed up :blink::

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/north-vancouver-couple-sues-city-fortisbc-after-dog-electrocuted-on-sidewalk/ar-AAFO5Uo?li=AAggXBV

North Vancouver residents Nanami Ushiroji and Khusro Hamidi were walking their leashed, seven-year-old rottweiler-doberman-cross Coby near Lonsdale Quay on Feb. 23, when the incident happened.

"Coby stepped on a grate that was on top of a junction box ... on the sidewalk, at which point he yelped, jumped up and died as a result of being electrocuted," the suit claims.

"Ushiroji and a bystander attempted to resuscitate Coby, but they were unsuccessful. Coby had already died."

The suit claims that FortisBC or one of its contractors compromised underground electrical works in in the area during a job in 2017, which eventually led to the electrification of the junction, and that shortly before Coby's death more electrical work had been done in the area.

It alleges that in early 2017 another dog was shocked in the area, but suffered non-fatal injuries.

The evening before Coby's death, another dog was also exposed to electricity near the junction box and also suffered non-fatal injuries, the suit claims.

A family pet is bad enough, but what if this were their child?

I don't know why I get such a kick out of Satanists.

Maybe because they seem like the original Trolls.

Satanist - "Hey, Ummm what kinda stuff do you do in your religion?"

Dude - " Stuff like this, stuff like that"

Satanist - " Hmmm, cool, we're gonna study your this and that's.... then do everything you do, except exactly opposite!" "Muuhhahahaaaa!"

Anyway , that's how I understand them.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5734621/satanic-temple-black-mass-canada/

Satanic Temple to hold first ‘black mass’ in Canada

“Essentially, it involves using traditional symbols and inverting them to create a ritual that is meant to be the opposite of traditional mass.”

On 8/16/2019 at 11:27 AM, bishopshodan said:

I don't know why I get such a kick out of Satanists.

Maybe because they seem like the original Trolls.

Satanist - "Hey, Ummm what kinda stuff do you do in your religion?"

Dude - " Stuff like this, stuff like that"

Satanist - " Hmmm, cool, we're gonna study your this and that's.... then do everything you do, except exactly opposite!" "Muuhhahahaaaa!"

Anyway , that's how I understand them.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5734621/satanic-temple-black-mass-canada/

Satanic Temple to hold first ‘black mass’ in Canada

“Essentially, it involves using traditional symbols and inverting them to create a ritual that is meant to be the opposite of traditional mass.”

I am not a Satanist, but I do try to live by their golden rule

" Do unto others as they do unto you"  I prefer to be nice and easy going but if I'm pushed in some way, I push back.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

I am not a Satanist, but I do try to live by their golden rule

" Do unto others as they do unto you"  I prefer to be nice and easy going but if I'm pushed in some way, I push back.

I live by the golden rule.

I stop short at the platinum rule though. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2019 at 3:05 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Somebody at FortisBC really effed up :blink::

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/north-vancouver-couple-sues-city-fortisbc-after-dog-electrocuted-on-sidewalk/ar-AAFO5Uo?li=AAggXBV

A family pet is bad enough, but what if this were their child?

Holy crap!  That's insane.  I wonder if there was any notification of the dog that got electrocuted the day before, and they didn't act on it.

I clicked a link in the article, to one about other exposed wiring in the city.  Just effing nuts how that was handled.

Never heard of Fortis before... did they take over BC Hydro, or are they competition?  Hard to imagine a new company coming in to compete, but who knows.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Holy crap!  That's insane.  I wonder if there was any notification of the dog that got electrocuted the day before, and they didn't act on it.

I clicked a link in the article, to one about other exposed wiring in the city.  Just effing nuts how that was handled.

Never heard of Fortis before... did they take over BC Hydro, or are they competition?  Hard to imagine a new company coming in to compete, but who knows.

Competition. They're mainly Natural Gas in BC, but they do some electrical as well.

• Thanks 1

Seems ISIS is not done yet: And even the Taliban is pissed.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/islamic-state-claims-bombing-at-kabul-wedding-that-killed-63/ar-AAFXQDZ?ocid=spartandhp

KABUL — The death toll from a late-night suicide bombing at a crowded wedding party in the Afghan capital rose to at least 63 on Sunday, including women and children, officials said. The local Islamic State group's affiliate claimed responsibility for what was the deadliest attack in Kabul this year.

Another 182 people were wounded in the Saturday night explosion, government spokesman Feroz Bashari said. Interior Ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi confirmed the casualty toll as families began to bury the dead. Some helped to dig graves with their bare hands.

Kabul residents were outraged as there appears to be no end to violence even as the United States and the Taliban say they are nearing a deal to end their 18-year conflict, America's longest war.

The Taliban condemned the attack as "forbidden and unjustifiable" and denied any involvement. Both the Taliban and IS have carried large-scale attacks in the Afghan capital in the past.

The blast occurred in a western Kabul neighbourhood that is home to many of the country's minority Shiite Hazara community. IS has claimed responsibility for many attacks targeting Shiites in the past. A statement by the militant group posted on an IS-linked website on Sunday said a Pakistani IS fighter seeking martyrdom targeted a large Shiite gathering in Kabul.:"

More at link.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Seems ISIS is not done yet: And even the Taliban is pissed.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/islamic-state-claims-bombing-at-kabul-wedding-that-killed-63/ar-AAFXQDZ?ocid=spartandhp

KABUL — The death toll from a late-night suicide bombing at a crowded wedding party in the Afghan capital rose to at least 63 on Sunday, including women and children, officials said. The local Islamic State group's affiliate claimed responsibility for what was the deadliest attack in Kabul this year.

Another 182 people were wounded in the Saturday night explosion, government spokesman Feroz Bashari said. Interior Ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi confirmed the casualty toll as families began to bury the dead. Some helped to dig graves with their bare hands.

Kabul residents were outraged as there appears to be no end to violence even as the United States and the Taliban say they are nearing a deal to end their 18-year conflict, America's longest war.

The Taliban condemned the attack as "forbidden and unjustifiable" and denied any involvement. Both the Taliban and IS have carried large-scale attacks in the Afghan capital in the past.

The blast occurred in a western Kabul neighbourhood that is home to many of the country's minority Shiite Hazara community. IS has claimed responsibility for many attacks targeting Shiites in the past. A statement by the militant group posted on an IS-linked website on Sunday said a Pakistani IS fighter seeking martyrdom targeted a large Shiite gathering in Kabul.:"

More at link.

I was thinking about that as well...

...I could have sworn that the US administration claimed they had been defeated....:unsure: