The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Situation.

BoHorvat

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

More often than not, people find they are the source of their own problems.   Becuase they are stupid. 

Pretty much agreed drummer,  with one caveat - how many truly stupid people have the wherewithal to honestly and objectively reflect on their actions let alone know how to take steps to correct said actions?   Sounds like some advanced critical thinking skills truly stupid people likely would be incapable of.

1 hour ago, BoHorvat said:

They do.

I agree I've made mistakes in the past.

I'm being completely honest in my story otherwise I wouldn't say I had gotten suspended twice. What I'm trying to say is, I dealt with the consequences and this is what they are doing now. They literally gave me a license so I could only get pulled over and be explained that I have no license. Why didn't they just not give it to me at the ICBC? 

I think you're blending in something in an oversight that was likely a MUCH bigger deal than you blow it off as.

A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. I got pulled over

Your attempt to downplay this is concerning and a huge red flag.  The fact that you're doing that (and have a bad track record with driving, etc.) doesn't demonstrate that you're being responsible or accountable in this.  Fighting it with lawyers is one thing, but accepting your role and changing the behaviour is part of it.

This was likely significant despite you skipping over it as a simple mistake.  You made assumptions after this that you probably shouldn't have.  Perhaps it wasn't business as usual  from this point onward?    There's a reason you're on their radar.....irresponsible driving costs people lives.  Take it ALL more seriously.  As questioned by others, what WERE all those points for?  That too, is an important tidbit in this.

and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated my license and began to drive again

How did YOU reinstate your license?  Perhaps counting time spent driving while prohibited wipes out the period served?  I have no idea, but that would be a reasonable assumption when you're caught driving during a suspension? 

It is your responsibility to find out for sure.  Not to take action based on what you believe or guess to be true.

46 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I am absolutely bitter towards icbc. 

Me too..the stories I could tell involving what they did to my Dad.  Now I play hardball with them, because there are very crooked adjustors.  I was rear ended recently and was hung up on by one who was overstepping her boundaries and violating my privacy.

25 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Driving is a priveledge, not a right. 

This.  I have been driving forever and still observe all the rules.  We've seen how things go wrong when that isn't the case...don't want it to be me that's responsible for something horrible.

11 hours ago, BoHorvat said:

Just thought I'd speak out here about my situation.

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license. The letter cost me $100 to send. They went ahead with the suspension regardless. I accepted the suspension and gave in my license. A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. I got pulled over and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated my license and began to drive again. Now my new court date was just around the corner. I decided to hire a lawyer. In front of the judge my lawyer brought down the new suspension from 12 months to 3 months with a $1000 fine that I had been given 9 months to pay. That same day in court, I needed to sign a few papers stating that my license is suspended until (date after 3 months). The person standing across from the desk explained everything I was signing. He then asked if I have my drivers license ID with me and gave me the choice of handing it over to him or if I don't have it with me, thats alright as well but just know that it's invalid during my suspension. I told him I don't have it with me because I had left it at home.

Now was the time I had to pay my lawyer for his duties of reducing the time of my suspension. I paid him $3000.

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving. I was driving for about 2 months now and I got pulled over because of a random plate check. The policeman told me that his computer shows that I am driving while prohibited. I explained to the policeman that I had gone through with my 3 month suspension and it should be fine now. His only response was that his computer says I am prohibited so he has no choice but to impound my car for 7 days and take my drivers license ID. I was confused and called my lawyer right away. He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer). So the policeman took my drivers license ID and told me to figure stuff out with ICBC.
Did  you tell ICBC that a policeman just took away your license? Did you tell them that he said you were driving while prohibited? I am just guessing here but I think you may have rushed  to ICBC before the policeman completed his report, (usually done at the end of his shift) and received your new paper license before it was reported that you had again been caught driving while under suspension. Did you receive a letter revoking your paper license? I would suggest that you asked for re-instatement under false pretences. Again you are the author of your own demise. This is my probable answer to your question #2 below. 

I rushed to ICBC as soon as my car was taken away by the tow truck and told them I'd like to reinstate my license. They asked for $250. I paid them and they gave me a yellow piece of paper which says I could drive and they assured me that I would receive my actual drivers license ID in the mail in a few weeks.

I work early mornings. I live in Vancouver but my commute is a long way to Surrey for work. I realized I needed to rent a car for the 7 days. I am 24 years old, so with the underage fees, my total cost for the rental car came to roughly $700.

The 7 days had gone by now and I returned the rental car and took a taxi to the tow yard. I showed them the yellow piece of paper that was my temporary drivers license I received from ICBC. I got the car out and they charged me $387 for the 7 days they held the car there.

So now I had been driving my car to work everyday and 5 weeks had gone by since I reinstated my license and received the yellow paper. Still waiting for my actual ID to come in the mail.

I get pulled over.

The policeman says I am driving while prohibited......again. "Are you kidding me?!"

I explained my entire situation.

ICBC gave me my yellow piece of paper which clearly says this is my temporary drivers license and allows me to drive. They understood what I was trying to get across but they said they had no choice because their computer system says that I am driving while prohibited. They even called ICBC for me and double checked with them and ICBC told them nope his license is prohibited. They had no choice but to impound my car for 7 days (which I will have to pay for again). This was Friday night. I had work Saturday early morning and also Sunday early morning. I had to call in sick for both of those shifts because I had no way of getting to work. Now I am waiting for Monday morning which is my day off so I can speak with a different lawyer that can help me with this situation. I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

This is ridiculous.

A couple things I don't understand:

1). I had signed the papers in court stating my license was suspended for only 3 months. So why is their computer system still saying I am suspended?

2). If my license was still suspended, why did ICBC give me the yellow paper when I reinstated my license? ICBC is pretty much telling me yes go drive and then I get pulled over to only find out my license is suspended?

I have spent so much money trying to clear this up and it feels like a repeated cycle. I want to spread my story out to everywhere possible. I will be contacting global news and CTV news and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC.

Very unhappy with ICBC.

54 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Depends on what you drive, when I’m in my Lincoln... I get pulled over more than what’s necessary.  One of my associates says the same about when he drives his Corvette. If you drive some S*** box Honda or Toyota or smart car, they won’t bother you.

I drive a lifted, lifted pick up. No issues with police.

11 hours ago, BoHorvat said:

Just thought I'd speak out here about my situation.

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license. The letter cost me $100 to send. They went ahead with the suspension regardless. I accepted the suspension and gave in my license. A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. I got pulled over and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated my license and began to drive again. Now my new court date was just around the corner. I decided to hire a lawyer. In front of the judge my lawyer brought down the new suspension from 12 months to 3 months with a $1000 fine that I had been given 9 months to pay. That same day in court, I needed to sign a few papers stating that my license is suspended until (date after 3 months). The person standing across from the desk explained everything I was signing. He then asked if I have my drivers license ID with me and gave me the choice of handing it over to him or if I don't have it with me, thats alright as well but just know that it's invalid during my suspension. I told him I don't have it with me because I had left it at home.

Now was the time I had to pay my lawyer for his duties of reducing the time of my suspension. I paid him $3000.

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving. I was driving for about 2 months now and I got pulled over because of a random plate check. The policeman told me that his computer shows that I am driving while prohibited. I explained to the policeman that I had gone through with my 3 month suspension and it should be fine now. His only response was that his computer says I am prohibited so he has no choice but to impound my car for 7 days and take my drivers license ID. I was confused and called my lawyer right away. He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer). So the policeman took my drivers license ID and told me to figure stuff out with ICBC.

I rushed to ICBC as soon as my car was taken away by the tow truck and told them I'd like to reinstate my license. They asked for $250. I paid them and they gave me a yellow piece of paper which says I could drive and they assured me that I would receive my actual drivers license ID in the mail in a few weeks.

I work early mornings. I live in Vancouver but my commute is a long way to Surrey for work. I realized I needed to rent a car for the 7 days. I am 24 years old, so with the underage fees, my total cost for the rental car came to roughly $700.

The 7 days had gone by now and I returned the rental car and took a taxi to the tow yard. I showed them the yellow piece of paper that was my temporary drivers license I received from ICBC. I got the car out and they charged me $387 for the 7 days they held the car there.

So now I had been driving my car to work everyday and 5 weeks had gone by since I reinstated my license and received the yellow paper. Still waiting for my actual ID to come in the mail.

I get pulled over.

The policeman says I am driving while prohibited......again. "Are you kidding me?!"

I explained my entire situation.

ICBC gave me my yellow piece of paper which clearly says this is my temporary drivers license and allows me to drive. They understood what I was trying to get across but they said they had no choice because their computer system says that I am driving while prohibited. They even called ICBC for me and double checked with them and ICBC told them nope his license is prohibited. They had no choice but to impound my car for 7 days (which I will have to pay for again). This was Friday night. I had work Saturday early morning and also Sunday early morning. I had to call in sick for both of those shifts because I had no way of getting to work. Now I am waiting for Monday morning which is my day off so I can speak with a different lawyer that can help me with this situation. I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

This is ridiculous.

A couple things I don't understand:

1). I had signed the papers in court stating my license was suspended for only 3 months. So why is their computer system still saying I am suspended?

2). If my license was still suspended, why did ICBC give me the yellow paper when I reinstated my license? ICBC is pretty much telling me yes go drive and then I get pulled over to only find out my license is suspended?

I have spent so much money trying to clear this up and it feels like a repeated cycle. I want to spread my story out to everywhere possible. I will be contacting global news and CTV news and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC.

Very unhappy with ICBC.

Global news and CTV won't care about your story. You made some stupid decisions at the beginning (getting tickets enough that you got suspended & then deciding that you should drive anyway) that then caused you even more grief.

You think you are above the law and can drive while suspended? Give your head a shake. Life doesn't owe you anything.

How about you do this...live within the law like 99% of our other citizens do. If you did that, none of this other crap would have happened to you. The entitlement you seem to have needs to be worked on in my opinion.

5 hours ago, BoHorvat said:

Any time they're driving behind me, they run my plates and it shows up on their screen in their cars.

What kind of car do you have?  Something really flashy or is it a piece of crap spewing smoke.  It is either one of those two or you are such a bad driver you are bringing attention to yourself.

There is a high percentage of motorists out there that never get pulled over so you are doing something wrong obviously.

To be truthful, the questions you haven't answered are probably your answers.   I'm going over it again, and there are things that need addressing.  Here's a start:

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license

You've done things in reverse here...the time to have thought about not being able to afford losing your license was prior to receiving those points, in making sure you didn't.  Even "during".  But accumulating points was your deal and it seems even that didn't teach you a lesson, as you continued to break the rules.

I don't know that this is an "ICBC situation".  I'd say it's a driving (and accountability?) situation.

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Don't forget the fact that he isn't even living in Alta !!!

Bo Horvat says," then i had to  buy a plane ticket to Calgary, $400 and pay first and last months rent on an apartment $2300, and live in Alberta for 6 weeks while I waited for my license to arrive, break my 1 year lease $2000, then fly back to BC with my new license $400..."

4 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Since when could you insure and get a DL in Alta when you live in BC ??  

Get a mailbox address in Alberta. There used to be a "period of time" where you could be moving/moved to B.C. before having to get new insurance and drivers licence.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

To be truthful, the questions you haven't answered are probably your answers. 

I don't know that this is an "ICBC situation".  I'd say it's a driving (and accountability?) situation.

I gave you a beer. I hope you don't drink it then drive.

cops dont have a sense of humour about licence reinstatement , the onus is on YOU to hand in the licence ,the onus is on you to take measures for reinstament , , it does sound like you honestly didn't know the procedure, but the cops are probably thinking your just playing stupid, and once a cop thinks your trying to pull one over on them ,you might as well put a neon sign on the roof  'PULL ME OVER'  nowadays cops aren't to be messin around with ,intentional or not.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Get a mailbox address in Alberta. There used to be a "period of time" where you could be moving/moved to B.C. before having to get new insurance and drivers licence.

So commit fraud?  We don't condone that here.  And insurance is null and void if it's abused or obtained under false pretenses, so not a great plan anyhow.  It's why you have to sign and initial everywhere.  Good way to add to this hard luck story...if an accident is caused and the insurance contract is found to be breached.

Just now, gurn said:

But he's not moving to Alta. and your suggestions will just get him into worse problems.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

That said, he could also just do the time and drive better.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Short term fix, maybe get an Alberta license and insurance? I'm not sure how long both are valid for a person living in BC?

You might need to check with...……………….      ICBC.

I should have put this  :P after typing ICBC ^   would have saved me sometime with posting. lol

Archived