The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ray Emery has passed away.

Jaku

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Harrison Lake has been known for this.  Was my first thought too.

yah its quite scary. One of my wife's friends lost her 20 year old son this way 4 years ago, and he was about 30 feet from his girlfriend when he dove under. They just couldn't revive him in the time it took to get to him, thats how fast this can happen. 

21 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Judging by the time stamp of when he went underwater and didn’t resurface. I’m sure there were other things in his body than just alcohol. Regardless it’s still very sad to see him gone. Was a great character for the entertainment factor of the game. RIP Ray

Not the time or place for speculation about what was in his system. Easily could have been nothing. 

On July 17, 2018 at 11:18 PM, apollo said:

Such a stand up character... Loved him in his playoff runs. 

Rest in peace Ray. Will always respect his ability to stand up for his team. Not many goalies of his breed. True beauty. 

If you call getting into fights with his own teammates and equipment managers, throwing tamtrum on flights, hitting women, and abusing drugs and alcohol ..... being a stand up character .... then yes he is one.

On 2018-07-15 at 6:37 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

that may have been part of it but its also very easy to succumb to shock in cold water. People need more awareness of how easy it is to be affected by cold shock response where your body simply seizes up, it can happen to anyone. 

On 2018-07-15 at 6:42 PM, DeNiro said:

For sure that can happen. But with the heat wave going on in southern Ontario I'm thinking that was less likely a factor.

It's easy when you're drinking on a boat to slip and hit your head. Again I don't wanna make assumptions, but those are the risks when drinking out on the water.

There have been a number of drowning cases this summer so far around here (southern Ontario) the waters are still cold even with the temps as high as they’ve been getting.  It’s been a wild summer so far. Very tragic. 

RIP ray

23 hours ago, shiznak said:

If you call getting into fights with his own teammates and equipment managers, throwing tamtrum on flights, hitting women, and abusing drugs and alcohol ..... being a stand up character .... then yes he is one.

Oh yea... honestly I forgot about those things. I did see stories in the past.

Regardless though, he still had some amazing moments on the ice. I was always entertained when I saw him play. He was really feisty in the 2007 playoffs for Ottawa. Too bad they fell to the DUcks in the finals... :(

RIP

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 6:07 PM, DeNiro said:

I don't wanna make assumptions, but based on the time of the call I'm guessing alcohol was a factor. Just a reminder when you're out there drinking and taking a dip this summer, alcohol does affect how far and for how long you can swim. Don't take unnecessary risks.

RIP Ray.

Take this for what it's worth and it's not worth much but, a really good friend of mine who grew up and lives in Hamilton. Told me that buddies of his who are also buddies with Emery where at an event with Ray till midnight say Ray was sober when they parted ways at midnight.

They also said Ray liked to use certain substances which I won't mention. However up till midnight they believed him completely sober. What happened after midnight is a mystery. 

Again take that for what it's worth which isn't much.

Archived