The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Systemic suppression of black voters.

canuckster19

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup its pretty shocking, make people decide do I eat today or go buy ID to vote. Its a good example of how the US sold off some of its democracy. Thats why I really hate it when a small faction of the CPC tries to whip up similar bs up here. Photo ID for voting purposes should be free for low income people, I mean how much could it cost in materials to print a photo card, $1.50? 

Ya it doesn't cost much at all. Obviously I'm not up to date but I don't remember it costing much when I got my id. 

The US is so messed up in so many ways.

"The state of Alabama issues free voter ID cards to voters who need them. These photo IDs are issued by driver license bureaus."

"A voter can use any of the following forms of photo ID at the polls starting June 3, 2014:

• Valid Driver's License
  • Valid Non-driver ID
  • Valid Alabama Photo Voter ID
  • Valid State Issued ID (Alabama or any other state)
  • Valid Federal Issued ID
  • Valid US Passport"    (easily completed by sending info in the mail)

If you want to vote, there were ways for you to be able to vote

6 minutes ago, jatylo said:

"The state of Alabama issues free voter ID cards to voters who need them. These photo IDs are issued by driver license bureaus."

"A voter can use any of the following forms of photo ID at the polls starting June 3, 2014:

• Valid Driver's License
  • Valid Non-driver ID

And just where in Alabama are these driver license bureaus located as compared to where they used to be available? And just how much does it cost, then how does that cost compare to the avg income for that area?

"Valid US Passport"    (easily completed by sending info in the mail)"    

Not if you don't have the other forms of ID.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

In Powell River the government has an office at our courthouse, you can get your BC ID from them, and pay off whatever fines you have picked up along the way. Most towns in Canada are set up similarly.

In the states some one figured out they only need to close a number of government ID offices in certain counties to make it much more difficult for a certain "type" of voter to get id and thus have all those folks not voting.

It would be like all the offices in BC being closed except for the ones in Vancouver, end result only Vancouverites end up voting.

I never knew the US was doing this. Ya the smaller areas just have a government office set up in the courthouse. That's how Penticton was 20 years ago but I think they now have a office in a different location. 

4 minutes ago, jatylo said:

• Valid Driver's License
  • Valid Non-driver ID

Where did you find this information.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I never knew the US was doing this. Ya the smaller areas just have a government office set up in the courthouse. That's how Penticton was 20 years ago but I think they now have a office in a different location. 

The terrible thing is the states was supposed to be a democracy, a shining example of a better place to live, every one equal; however hyper competitive politics has messed that up.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

The terrible thing is the states was supposed to be a democracy, a shining example of a better place to live, every one equal; however hyper competitive politics has messed that up.

That has been BS since the very first time they said that about themselves. 

Everyone equal lmao.

I'm a bit surprised that this is even a debate. Voter suppression targeting the poor and minorities is well established as fact. So is Gerrymandering and the closing of voting locations in poorer districts, all with the aim of making it more difficult for low income Americans to vote.

I don't know if the premise of this thread is ignorance, or a disingenuous attempt to bait "the left", but it doesn't really matter....and frankly, I have a hard time deciding which is worse.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. About as "equal" as France, just before the revolution and a guy named Guillotin became a household word....

True.

On a deeper note and partial tangent:

It seems the only thing those in power really respect is the threat or implementation of violence. All else is dealt with by platitudes, and empty promises.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm a bit surprised that this is even a debate. Voter suppression targeting the poor and minorities is well established as fact. So is Gerrymandering and the closing of voting locations in poorer districts, all with the aim of making it more difficult for low income Americans to vote.

I don't know if the premise of this thread is ignorance, or a disingenuous attempt to bait "the left", but it doesn't really matter....and frankly, I have a hard time deciding which is worse.

I'm not trying to bait anyone, I think it's terrible, not everyone has ulterior motives. I'm also talking about one specific issue with voter suppression.

And yes I went off on a tagent in my OP, I think it's terrible that democratic voters let Obama down in 2010, if they actually showed up to vote in midterms the republicans wouldn't have the grip they have.

Michael Moore wrote well about this issue in one of his books, I forget if it was Dude Where's My Country or Stupid White Men, but even he made the argument about how the midterms were just as important, and that democrat ridings are poorly run because they think they have no chance of winning.

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

I'm not trying to bait anyone, I think it's terrible, not everyone has ulterior motives.

Apologies if I misunderstood your point.

This quote makes it seem like you're blaming the voters and/or the previous administration, rather than the people who are attempting the suppression.

One thing I don't really understand is, why is there a large number of African Americans without proper government ID?

One thing that's always bothered me about the Obama rhetoric, is where were they in 2010? Obama had a chance to pass a really good health care act but instead had to negotiate with Republicans on the issue. People need to mobilize better, and if that means getting a government ID then they need to mobilize on that issue as well.

I guess it's sometimes difficult to convey intent on an internet forum.

4 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I'm not trying to bait anyone, I think it's terrible, not everyone has ulterior motives.

It was a valid topic, most of which  has been covered in the immense "Trump" thread, but I wouldn't ask anyone to go through those 2816 pages. I didn't think you were trolling or anything like that, unfortunately a few respondents seem to like to stir it up. Don't worry, you are not being lumped in with them, at least not by me.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apologies if I misunderstood your point.

This quote makes it seem like you're blaming the voters and/or the previous administration, rather than the people who are attempting the suppression.

I guess it's sometimes difficult to convey intent on an internet forum.

If black people are less likely to have a photo ID, I think it's important to establish why this is the case.

Just now, canuckster19 said:

If black people are less likely to have a photo ID, I think it's important to establish why this is the case.

I don't think it's that hard to understand. The most common form of photo ID is a driver's license. If you can't afford a car, why have one?

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think it's that hard to understand. The most common form of photo ID is a driver's license. If you can't afford a car, why have one?

But then the argument can be made, if you feel it's important to vote, get an alternative form of identification, but maybe that's the problem? The alternatives are difficult to acquire?

6 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

But then the argument can be made, if you feel it's important to vote, get an alternative form of identification, but maybe that's the problem? The alternatives are difficult to acquire?

They are when all the offices, that you used to be able to get that id at, have moved 60 miles away.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

A significant number of low income people in the states can't afford the fees involved with getting an ID. But I'm sure you already knew that. 

Obviously you should have to show ID to vote but there shouldn't be a monetary barrier to entry as well.

AL Non-Driver Identification Card Fees. A standard Alabama ID or STAR ID card is valid for 4 years and will cost you: $36.25 for a new card. $36.25 to renew.

I'm sorry, but I've lived in poverty, and IDs in BC are much more expensive.

59 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Requiring identification isn't suppression. The leftists in the States regarding this are totally out to lunch. Gerrymandering is a far bigger issue that they should be concerned about and working against, but instead they complain about voter suppression regarding personal identification, which by the way you require for just about anything nowadays. It scores quick political points and allows them to play identity politics as usual

Just the other day I had to show photo ID when buying groceries at Save on Foods. :lol:

Archived