The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Systemic suppression of black voters.

canuckster19

I find this table actually quite interesting,

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/poverty-rate-by-raceethnicity/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

Black poverty in proportion to White's doesn't seem to differentiate much from red to blue states.

What I find quite weird though is the level of suppression in say a state like Alabama, isn't that a state that will never be blue?

9 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

AL Non-Driver Identification Card Fees. A standard Alabama ID or STAR ID card is valid for 4 years and will cost you: $36.25 for a new card. $36.25 to renew.

I'm sorry, but I've lived in poverty, and IDs in BC are much more expensive.

Good for you. For many, $36.25 is their food budget for the week. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Good for you. For many, $36.25 is their food budget for the week. 

Good for them, I've gone almost a week without eating before, I still have/had I.D. I still stood up, got an apprenticeship and got into a union after applying every year for 5 years. I don't buy it, sorry. I've been in a place where I would dream to have 36.25 as my budget. You want something(such as to vote and change your gov) then do something about it, instead of just being poor.

5 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Good for them, I've gone almost a week without eating before, I still have/had I.D. I still stood up, got an apprenticeship and got into a union after applying every year for 5 years. I don't buy it, sorry. I've been in a place where I would dream to have 36.25 as my budget. You want something(such as to vote and change your gov) then do something about it, instead of just being poor.

Ah. You’re a “got mine, &^@# you” type then. Carry on.

Just curious, did you have kids who were joining you in not eating for a week?

6 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

well-isnt-that-special.jpg.198740bb6ccd3e470cad862ecd108f91.jpg

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Ah. You’re a “got mine, &^@# you” type then. Carry on.

Hahaha, no, people just don't want to read success stories, you'd rather just type out your argument. If you really care so much why are you not in Alabama doing something about it? Why is there no public outrage about this? 

So its a tragedy because they're poor, but because I was poor and worked hard not to be, I'm an asshole?

The only systemic oppression is these lazy people who get stuck in a loop, and get too comfortable in where they are, even if its a bad situation, it's normal for them. It's' easier to say its too hard than it is to go out and change your own world. GTFO my face with that. I was trying to be polite, but you two are just left wing kooks who get triggered when people present them with facts.

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

So its a tragedy because they're poor, but because I was poor and worked hard not to be, I'm an asshole?

Nah, you're an asshole because you know exactly what it's like to be in their shoes and these are the attitudes you're displaying. 

4 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Hahaha, no, people just don't want to read success stories, you'd rather just type out your argument. If you really care so much why are you not in Alabama doing something about it? Why is there no public outrage about this? 

So voter suppression is an issue in the states then? Did you mean to say that?

29 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

But then the argument can be made, if you feel it's important to vote, get an alternative form of identification, but maybe that's the problem? The alternatives are difficult to acquire?

....requiring a trip to a government office...costing money...to be used once every two years, in a situation where you might have to travel quite a ways on public transportation....in the middle of a workday....and stand in line for ages, because some politician has decided to close a bunch of polling stations, including ones close to where low-income folks live.....

There are plenty of methods of voter suppression and the GOP has and is, employing all of them.

9 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't think that has anything to do with it....

The biggest issues with black voters is gerrymandering by conservatives and felons not being allowed to vote. There are districts in Florida where 40-50% of the damn population cannot vote.   I get not being able to vote while imprisoned but after you've done your time and probation you should get your rights back. Sure not for violent crimes but non violent like small drug charges or theft it should be as easy as proving you have a job and a report from your PO. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they are working against both things. Its effective suppression when you know a certain portion of the population can't afford ID. 

Not really anyone's problem but their own. It is a reasonable expectation you demonstrate you are who you say you are as you do for all such matters.

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Not really anyone's problem but their own. It is a reasonable expectation you demonstrate you are who you say you are as you do for all such matters.

thats nice, putting up things you know are berries to poor people voting is ok in your books? interesting. There was nothing wrong with the system before, it didn't need this solution. 

Archived