The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Nate Thompson, 2019 5th-round pick to Canadiens for 2019 4th-round pick

nice pickup imo....

gotta hurt a bit being traded for a one-round tradeup which probably translates into more like a half round considering where these teams fall in the standings.....

but Thompson has very good underlying numbers - 'possession' and goal metrics, grit, faceoffs, turnover differential - a nice depth addition for the Habs.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Chaput may be kaput.

I dunno.  I won't be surprised if someone claimed him.

He's 'only' a 13th guy type - but he's a good faceoff guy, relentless worker, reasonable enough 'possession' depth player that he's probably good enough for other some rosters - good center depth to have in a pinch.  I imagine the Habs hope he clears so they'd have him in injury circumstances.

But that price for Thompson is so negligible that it mitigates any potential 'loss.'   Early 5th to mid-late 4th is a pretty marginal trade up.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The moves that made a difference were Domi, and drafting Kotkaniemi. Both which took nuts.

These trades don't signal getting truly serious.  

But do signal not wanting to fall out of the play off race.

I remember when so many on here said Montreal blew it that Galchenyuk was better. I argued at the time Domi is far better.

I really wated Domi on a line with Bo.

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I remember when so many on here said Montreal blew it that Galchenyuk was better. I argued at the time Domi is far better.

I really wated Domi on a line with Bo.

I questioned it. Domi is better than I gave credit to. Good for Montreal too.

I'm not really a fan. But always enjoy seeing Canadian teams progress. 

Its nearing 25, 30 years since a Canadian team won the cup. Was it Calgary with Niewendyk and Fleury? Or Edmontons last cup without Gretz.

15 years since Edmonton was in a final. 8 since our last Go? Blimey, 30 years...

The flag has more value than cheering against rivals to me at this time.

Hockey is our game.

As for with Bo? Galchenyuk was probably more compelling than even if we had offered Jake. But yeah, reuniting the London boys would have been good.

Archived