The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The team you see now wasn’t the team early in the season when puck movement up the ice was taking a lot of teams by surprise.  If you’re watching the games now I assume you were watching then.

Okay, fair enough. Early in the season the method of the forwards playing high was working for them because, like you say,  it was catching teams by surprise, but now as the season has worn on teams have scouted and seen tape and have adjusted their game plan to counter the Canucks strategy. The Canucks otoh have not adjusted, they just keep playing the same way and being consistently shutdown. Failing to adjust the system when it is no longer working is on the coaching staff.  It is a sign of a weak coach and one that won't have any success in the playoffs. In a seven game series the teams are continuously tweaking their O and D systems to counteract the oppositions strategy. That's why you see a team get completely dominated one game then come back and level the playing field the next. If TG doesn't recognize that and thinks it's just a matter of "working hard" than this team will never have any measured success with him at the helm.

6 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I don't understand the logic here. So you want to get rid of Edler and replace him with what exactly? A mishmash of less talented prospects and throw aways from other teams?  There is no harm in keeping him here while prospects develop. He's got 2-3 years left before retirement. He is like a rock on the back end and contributes offensively by starting the break out and potting a goal every now and again. When he was out with his broken face it was readily apparent that there was a HUGE hole on the back end with out him. We looked like an entirely different team. He's the best defenseman we've got and you just want to throw him out with the bath water?

I want to get rid of Elder and replace him with whatever free agent we can sign for the money we can pay him. He is not like a rock back there as you suggest he is terrible as he was against Vegas. he is injured every season to the point where we could afford to get a different player at his level of ability that should be able to last the entire season or more of it than Elder.There is a huge hole when Tanev is out also but others want to trade him. Edler is unsigned as of now and I would suggest he stay that way until he hits free agency in the summer. The defense needs to be rebuilt and it starts with not signing Edler.Thank you for your service Alex its time to move on like we did with the Sedins

46 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I want to get rid of Elder and replace him with whatever free agent we can sign for the money we can pay him. He is not like a rock back there as you suggest he is terrible as he was against Vegas. he is injured every season to the point where we could afford to get a different player at his level of ability that should be able to last the entire season or more of it than Elder.There is a huge hole when Tanev is out also but others want to trade him. Edler is unsigned as of now and I would suggest he stay that way until he hits free agency in the summer. The defense needs to be rebuilt and it starts with not signing Edler.Thank you for your service Alex its time to move on like we did with the Sedins

Wash your mouth out with soap. Big mistake not signing Alex for at least 2 Years. It is about people not just the bottom line. Besides who can you sign that is better for the same price?  

21 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I like what the panel just discusses and its what some of us have been preaching - but I fear the Aqulinis etc won't listen and try to get quick fixes with guys like Karlsson etc instead of staying the course and remaining patient (Unless we luck out in the draft and get Hughes or Kappo - and even still they aren't McDavid or Matthews)

Eichel is better then Matthews but I feel your point 

17 hours ago, shiznak said:

I would say most of his costly errors that results in a goal is just bad puck luck or him not able to out-muscle his opponents. For instance, the first goal against Edmonton; 9 out of 10 times the puck would have gotten through the forechecker, but the one time it doesn’t, it just happens to be Pouliot who tries to make the play. The goal against San Jose, Marleau out worked him and the puck was in his feet, where Roussel couldn’t poke it to the hash-boards. It was really a nothing play, that resulted into a goal. The goal against Anaheim, he missed fire. Again, bad puck luck.

Despite all this and all the bad turnovers he has made. He’s still an even player on this team. A team that ranks in the top 10 in goals against. Playing top 4 minutes for half the season.

just goes to show how obsessed people get with their whipping-boys - you'd think that Pouliot would have been forgiven for any Marleau goals as a Shark - by now.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

just goes to show how obsessed people get with their whipping-boys - you'd think that Pouliot would have been forgiven for any Marleau goals as a Shark - by now.

thats funny. 

But you have to admit, Pouliot has a flair for making mistakes look epic. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats funny. 

But you have to admit, Pouliot has a flair for making mistakes look epic. 

Certainly.  Every one of his mistakes seem to wind up in the back of the net.   But whether that makes the sum of his overall performance as bad as you'd think if you took a cumulative CDC account = no. 

The irony may be this:  if Pouliot indeed costs this team as many goals as some perceive....

Then how is he an even 0 this season?

His 'possession' numbers likewise - 52% ozone starts, 50% corsi.

So his goal metrics = 2.9 on ice goals for per 60, 2.7 against - and shot metrics, indicate a guy that is a relative break even player 5 on 5.

In the context of a depleted blueline and player that's stepping up frequently, playing 20 minutes/night recently and over 17 for the season......his objective outcomes are actually pretty good overall.   And what people may not have expected - 147 combined hits/blocked shots - are not bad grit outcomes either.

The one thing I'd hope for more out of Pouliot - which was his bread and butter earlier in his career - would be getting in on more production.  While I think his struggles with puck-moving errors low in his zone may limit his confidence, overall I think he's subtley been a pretty good puck mover/play driver outside that aspect of his game, and might stand to take a few more risks particularly once he's gained an exit/the neutral zone, where his skating and puck carrying might be more of an asset.

In any event, I'm not ready to give up on the guy yet - I see no point - and like Hutton last year, will have a bit more patience for him = a good toolbox.

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Certainly.  Every one of his mistakes seem to wind up in the back of the net.   But whether that makes the sum of his overall performance as bad as you'd think if you took a cumulative CDC account = no. 

The irony may be this:  if Pouliot indeed costs this team as many goals as some perceive....

Then how is he an even 0 this season?

His 'possession' numbers likewise - 52% ozone starts, 50% corsi.

So his goal metrics = 2.9 on ice goals for per 60, 2.7 against - and shot metrics, indicate a guy that is a relative break even player 5 on 5.

In the context of a depleted blueline and player that's stepping up frequently, playing 20 minutes/night recently and over 17 for the season......his objective outcomes are actually pretty good overall.   And what people may not have expected - 147 combined hits/blocked shots - are not bad grit outcomes either.

The one thing I'd hope for more out of Pouliot - which was his bread and butter earlier in his career - would be getting in on more production.  While I think his struggles with puck-moving errors low in his zone may limit his confidence, overall I think he's subtley been a pretty good puck mover/play driver outside that aspect of his game, and might stand to take a few more risks particularly once he's gained an exit/the neutral zone, where his skating and puck carrying might be more of an asset.

In any event, I'm not ready to give up on the guy yet - I see no point - and like Hutton last year, will have a bit more patience for him = a good toolbox.

those numbers are a bit surprising. He might have earned a qualifying offer, we'll see, according to cap friendly its 1.1 mil to qualify him. He has arbitration rights but that seems unlikely.

Juolevi's surgery may have bought DP a lifeline into next training camp, but I could see him not get an offer until all the smoke clears from other free agent deals and RFA extension, those might squeeze him out of the picture as well. 

Archived