The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

49 dead in terror attack at New Zealand mosques

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

It appears that there was another attack on another mosque.

Jesus.  That’s friggin’ horrible.  What the heck is wrong with some people?  “Love thy neighbor”.  These acts of hatred always make me so sad.  I was on my scooter today, and (kind of) got stuck on the curb.  A really nice you man, who had brown skin, helped me by picking up the scooter (with me on it) and puttingscooter and Alf back on the sidewalk.  It made me feel really good, and think about how wonderful people can be.  Now I read this act of hatred, and I’m disgusted.  Why do we do these horrible things to each other?  I know I shouldn’t hide in a bottle, but damn it!  This makes me so sad.  Love thy neighbor, right?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Jesus.  That’s friggin’ horrible.  What the heck is wrong with some people?  “Love thy neighbor”.  These acts of hatred always make me so sad.  I was on my scooter today, and (kind of) got stuck on the curb.  A really nice you man, who had brown skin, helped me by picking up the scooter (with me on it) and puttingscooter and Alf back on the sidewalk.  It made me feel really good, and think about how wonderful people can be.  Now I read this act of hatred, and I’m disgusted.  Why do we do these horrible things to each other?  I know I shouldn’t hide in a bottle, but damn it!  This makes me so sad.  Love thy neighbor, right?  

There are sick people in this world that are consumed with hatred.

Just now, Alflives said:

By scooter you mean one of these? 

Image result for seniors scooters

Fatal shootings at Christchurch mosques

One person has been arrested, but police believe there may be other offenders involved in the fatal shootings of at least nine people at two mosques in Christchurch.

Sources say nine people have been confirmed dead following the shootings at the Masjid Al Noor on Deans Ave and the Linwood Masjid on Linwood Ave.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police were responding to "a very serious and tragic incident involving an active shooter in central Christchurch".

"One person is in custody, however police believe there may be other offenders.

"This is an evolving incident and we are working to confirm the facts, however we can confirm there have been a number of fatalities."

Officers were at several scenes around the city.

"We understand that there will be many anxious people but I can assure New Zealanders that police is doing all it can to resolve this incident. 

"We urge New Zealanders to stay vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111."

He asked Christchurch residents to stay inside and said all mosques around the country should shut their doors. 

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said it was one on New Zealand's "darkest days".

Waikato law professor Al Gillespie said it was too early to speculate on the motives of the shooter, but drew a distinction between mass shootings and terrorism.

Terrorism was politically motivated, and international trends showed it was primarily motivated by jihad, left-wing and nationalist sentiment, he said.

"New Zealand terrorist threat risk is 'low' … compared to the rest of the world we're one of the safest countries in existence.

"If it's more than one person involved, then it's not a lone wolf, and then it's a cell, and the whole point of these security services is that these cells are detected."

HOSPITAL ON ALERT

Stuff understands the emergency department at Christchurch Hospital has been cleared out. Hospital staff are expecting about 40 to 50 injured people.

1552620369147.jpg

Gunshots have been heard near the Christchurch Mosque on Deans Ave.

Armed police have been checking all vehicles outside Christchurch Hospital.

Police have urged anyone in central Christchurch to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111. 

St John said in a statement that it was notified of a firearms incident in central Christchurch at 1.53pm on Friday.

"We have approximately 20 emergency ambulances and operational vehicles at scene providing support."

The charity is sending additional resources from around the country "to support our people on the ground at the Christchurch firearms incident".

Deans Ave has been closed, while Linwood Ave has been closed between Aldwins Rd and Worcester St, and Brougham St (State Highway 76) has been closed between Antigua and Durham streets. 

About 20 armed police have worked to clear buildings in Linwood, including Eastgate Mall, which will be closed for the rest of the day. 

CHILDREN IN MOSQUE

A man, who would not give his name, said he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard the shooting start.

He managed to escape, but saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside. 

"My wife is dead," he said, wailing. His head was supported by other Muslim men who prayed for him.

Another man said he saw children being shot.

Dozens of people were shot by a man wearing military uniform, who emptied at least two magazines.

"There were bodies all over me."

Ranzan Ala said everyone started running to one of the doors when the shooting began. Once he got outside and ran away, he saw he had blood on him from other people.

"Oh my God, I don't want to see this kind of thing, it's a nightmare. It's going to be there for weeks and months."

His friend from Fiji was also in the mosque with him and was missing.

About 20 to 30 children had been among the roughly 500 people inside, he said.

Argyle on the Park owner Lena Borodin said she saw a man in a silver car pulled up outside her motel and shoot an elderly Muslim man who was walking toward the mosque.

The shot shattered the driver's side window of the gunman's car, Borodin said.

The elderly man, aged in his 70s, was shot in his side. He lay on the ground outside a unit at the motel until a police came and helped him. 

The gunman, who she described as young and skinny, then drove away.

A bloodstain can be seen on the concrete where he lay at the motel.

'INDISCRIMINATE SHOOTING' DURING PRAYERS

A resident on nearby Freyberg St said she heard "hundreds" of shots and it was "terrifying".

Muslim Association of Marlborough chairman Zayd Blissett said he found out about the shooting from a text sent by the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand at 2.04pm, saying "50 shot" during Friday prayers in Christchurch.

"I'm just heartbroken. In fact I'm sitting here crying," he said.

"This is New Zealand. This can't happen here."

A man in the Deans Ave mosque at the time, who would not give his name, said there were "bodies all over me". 

Ahmad Al-Mahmoud, 37, described the shooter as white-skinned, blond, quite short and wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest. He and others broke a window in a door to escape from the mosque. Prayers started at 1.30pm and the gunman came in about 10 minutes later, when everyone was on their knees praying, he said.

The gunman let off dozens, if not hundreds of rounds, he said.

South Island manager for Naki Labour Hire, Carl Pomare, was one of the first people on the scene.

"We were driving opposite the mosque at 1.40pm and we saw a whole lot of people outside the mosque entrance on the footpath and the next thing, we saw them run."

He heard shots going off rapidly like fireworks and saw people hitting the ground, he said.

Pomare, along with another two people from Heb Construction Limited formed a cordon with their cars, stopping people from approaching the area on the southern end.

Helping at the scene, Pomare said one of the people who had been shot was a 5-year-old girl.

Her father was nursing her and asking people for help, he said.

"We looked at it thinking we've got to get this little 5-year-old girl to the hospital now otherwise she's going to die.

"It was a pretty scary situation because there were still other shots being fired at the time inside the mosque.

SECOND SHOOTING AT LINWOOD MOSQUE

Sabir Hussain, who was inside the Linwood mosque, said he was "doing a prayer when our imam said our brothers have been shot".

He went into the washroom and saw one man dead outside through the window. 

He knew he "was not safe", so jumped out of the window and hid behind a fence until police arrived.

A reporter at the scene said people at the cordon were hugging as they passed through the tape. One man wearing a prayer robe was covered in blood but appeared to be uninjured, she said.

Doctors from the Piki Te Ora health centre in Linwood Ave tried to help victims at the mosque but could not save anyone.

Syed Ahmed said he saw man wearing a black motorcycle helmet and camouflage clothing carrying what he thought was a black assault rifle with white writing.

The man started "indiscriminate shooting" from outside the mosque, first hitting several elderly people sitting on chairs during prayers.

"They were basically all shot."

He thought at least eight people had been shot, including at least three women and two of his friends. One had been shot in the head and remained inside the mosque, he said.

The man came through the front door "shouting something", but it "could not be heard over the screaming".

Ahmed said he kept "low on the ground" and crawled to the storeroom before getting away.

Mitch Redman said he saw four or five men with their hands on their heads being led out of the building about 2.20pm.

Police carried out two or three children from the building and put them in a car, he said.

Sheik Ali said his brother was inside and saw a gunman "open fire".

There were people on the ground, but no confirmed fatalities, Ali said.

"As a community we've never had an issue like this in New Zealand."

Linwood Dental Centre practice manager Janine Richmond said she heard about 20 gunshots come from the Linwood Mosque about 1.45pm. 

She said armed offenders squad (AOS) members with dogs came in and searched the clinic, which is about 50 metres from the mosque, shortly after. 

"They have told us to stay here because it's not safe.  We can't leave and we've been told to stay in a room and stay away from the windows."

MAN STARTED 'JUST KILLING PEOPLE'

The former president of the Muslim Association of Canterbury Mohammed Jama said a man with a gun went into the Deans Ave mosque about 1.40pm on Friday.

About 300 people were inside the mosque "and he started shooting all the people".

He saw about four people injured and two people lying on the ground. He did not know if they were alive or dead. 

One man who was there at the time said a man came in with an automatic rifle and was "just killing people". He ran.

Another witness said the man was wearing a helmet.

"He had a big gun and a lot of bullets and he came through and started shooting like everyone in the mosque, like everywhere, and they have to smash the door and the glass from the window and from the small door to try and get out."

The witness said the man fired more than 50 times.

Ahmed Tani, of the Canterbury Refugee Resettlement and Resource Centre, said he was walking to the mosque and was about 400m away when he heard many gunshots.

"I was really frightened," he said.

"I come from Somalia and the last time I heard the sound of gunfire was eight years ago.

"Then people were running towards me and shouting go, go, go."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111313238/shooting-at-christchurch-mosque

(more in the link)

Children...omg the shooter targeted children :(

This is an act of terror.  It doesn't need a political or religious motive.  Hell this is awful and in NZ of all places.

Hate begets nothign but hate.  We live in a climate of fear where even leaders are supporting acts of fear.  What can we expect when people are turning away from logic, reason and facts and turning to ignorance, lies and rhetoric

Edit**  The shooter apparently live streamed it, left a 74 page hate filled manifesto as well as to why these "people" needed to go.  Sickening act of terror and just unbelievably sad

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Children...omg the shooter targeted children :(

This is an act of terror.  It doesn't need a political or religious motive.  Hell this is awful and in NZ of all places.

Hate begets nothign but hate.  We live in a climate of fear where even leaders are supporting acts of fear.  What can we expect when people are turning away from logic, reason and facts and turning to ignorance, lies and rhetoric

I agree Hippy.  It’s totally disheartening when I read this terrible stuff.  Why do people hate their neighbors?  

Bangladesh cricket team almost caught up in mosque shooting

The Bangladesh cricket team was just pulling up at one of the two targeted mosques as the attack began, the team's coach told CNN.

A video posted to Twitter showed the Bangladesh sportsmen walking away from the mosque as a police car heads in the opposite direction, sirens wailing.

The team were due to play against the New Zealand team in the coming week, but local media reporting the match has been cancelled.

22 minutes ago, kingleysniper said:

This is extremely sad. I have been to NZ many times and they are like Canadians...very peaceful, diverse and open to many cultures and religions. I did not expect it at all, my heart goes out to everyone there. :(

Really good at Rugby.  Horrible incident.

He said Candace Owens inspired him.

What does Candace Owens do?  Says lol a few times in a few tweets, threatens to lawyer up, blames the left then plugs her show without once speaking about the victims or the cause behind it

Gunman who opened fire on Christchurch mosque addresses attack in manifesto

The gunman who livestreamed himself opening fire on a Christchurch mosque has posted a manifesto online explaining why he committed the attack.

news.com.auMarch 15, 20193:56pm

A gunman who livestreamed himself opening fire at the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch also posted a manifesto online addressing his reasons for the attack.

Up to 27 people have been killed after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in the New Zealand city.

Police have taken four people into custody after the gunman shot at worshippers as they gathered for Friday prayers.

Armed police were deployed around the Masjid Al Noor mosque where shooting broke out at 1.40pm (NZ time) on Friday, with the city’s schools and hospital locked down. Reports later emerged of shots at another mosque in Linwood Avenue.

The man, who identified himself on Twitter as ‘Brenton Tarrant’ from Australia, livestreamed his deadly attack and turned the camera on himself before carrying out the attack.

In a vile 73-page manifesto posted online, he described himself as “just a regular White man”.

The 28-year-old noted he was born “to a working class, low-income family … who decided to take a stand to ensure a future for my people”.

The gunman said he carried out the attack to “directly reduce immigration rates to European lands”.

The header photo on Tarrant’s Twitter account shows a victim of the 2016 Bastille Day terror attack in Nice.

The famous photo by Reuters photographer Eric Gaillard came to symbolise the Bastille Day massacre when 84 people were killed by a truck plowing into holidaying crowds, Reuters says.

He described his reasons for the disgusting attack as to “show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands, our homelands are our own and that, as long as a white man still lives, they will NEVER conquer our lands and they will never replace our people”.

Tarrant revealed he had been planning an attack for up to two years, noting he decided on Christchurch three months ago.

He said New Zealand was not the “original choice for attack”, but described it as “target rich of an environment as anywhere else in the West”.

“An attack in New Zealand would bring to attention the truth of the assault on our civilisation, that no where (sic) in the world was safe, the invaders were in all of our lands, even in the remotest areas of the world and that tehre was no where (sic) left to go that was safe and free from mass immigration.”

Claiming to represent “millions of European and other ethno-nationalist peoples”, he said “we must ensure the existence of our people, and a future for white children”.

The gunman described the attack as an act of “revenge on the invaders for the hundreds of thousands of death caused by foreign invaders in European lands throughout history … for the enslavement of millions of Europeans taken from their lands by the Islamic slavers … (and) for the thousands of European lives lost to terror attacks throughout European lands.”

He also said it was to take revenge for Ebba Akerlund, the 11-year-old child who was killed in a 2017 terror attack in Stockholm.

View image on Twitter

#BREAKING: Man who identified himself as Brenton Tarrant uploaded lengthy manifesto online before carrying out Christchurch, New Zealand shooting rampage http://bit.ly/2Hn0nCM 

Further down in the manifesto, Tarrant described the Stockholm attack as the “first event” that inspired him to commit the attack, particularly the death of the 11-year-old girl.

“Ebba (sic) death at the hands of the invaders, the indignity of her violent demise and my inability to stop it broke through my own jaded cynicism like a sledgehammer. I could no longer ignore the attacks.”

He said the attack was also inspired by a trip he took to France in 2017. “For many years I had been hearing and reading of the invasion of France by non-whites, many of these rumours and stories I believed to be exaggerations, created to push a political narrative.

“But once I arrived in France, I found the stories not only be true, but profoundly understated. In every french city, in every french town the invaders were there.”

Earlier in the manifesto, Tarrant described his childhood as “regular” and “without any great issues”, noting he had little interest in his education and “barely achieved a passing grade” at school. He said he earned money investing in Bitconnect, an open-source cryptocurrency.

Tarrant said he feels no remorse for the attack. “I only wish I could have killed more invaders, and more traitors as well.” He also said there “was a racial component to the attack” and described it as “anti-immigration” and “an attack in the name of diversity”.

He also said he will plead not guilty if he survives and goes to trial.

Posting on an 8chan forum, a user who identified himself as Tarrant announced he would carry out the attack.

“I will carry out and attack against the invaders, and will even live stream the attack via facebook,” he wrote, with a link to his Facebook page. “If I don’t survive the attack, goodbye, godbless and I will see you all in Valhalla!”

Many anonymous users responded praising him for the attack, with comments like “Godspeed” and “that video is so goddamn good”.

In the days leading up to the attack, Tarrant posted photos to his now-suspended Twitter account of what appears to be guns, ammunition and a military-style vest.

The weaponry is scrawled with references to ancient battles and more recent attacks against Muslims.

In one image he writes “For Rotherham, Alexandre Bissonnette, Luca Traini”.

Bissonnette was sentenced to 40 years for shooting six people dead in the 2017 shooting at a mosque in Quebec.

Traini, an Italian man, is serving 12 years in prison for the shooting of six African migrants in a racially motivated attack in October last year.

On what appears to be a gun, the message “Here’s your migration compact!” is written.

The writing also cites military leaders and refers to ancient battles such as the 1189 Siege of Acre and Ottoman Empire battles including the 1863 battle of Vienna and the 1877 battle of Shipka Pass.

The writing names Feliks Kazimierz Potocki, Polish noble and military leader in the late 1600s, Charles Martel, a French military leader from the 700s.

Tarrant also frequently posted links to articles about extremism in Europe, multiculturalism and previous terror attacks.

MULTIPLE DEAD IN MOSQUE SHOOTING

The gunman livestreamed the shooting to social media, sharing the horrifying video to Facebook.

The distressing footage, viewed by news.com.au and verified by Storyful, shows the gunman walk around the corner and up the path into the Al Noor Mosque. He walks through the front door and opens fire indiscriminately.

The video shows him firing into many rooms with a semiautomatic rifle, leaving bodies strewn on the floor as others run for their lives.

The shooter was active on social media in the days leading up to the attack, posting a photo of the rifle he used two days before the attack.

He also posted photos of the military gear he wore in the attack and the magazines he used to mow down the innocent people.

Police described it as an “evolving situation” and implored residents to stay indoors. All Christchurch schools have been locked down.

It’s understood about 300 people were inside the Hagley Park mosque for afternoon prayers when one of the shootings happened.

New Zealand Police urged anyone in Christchurch to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour.

https://www.news.com.au/world/pacific/gunman-who-opened-fire-on-christchurch-mosque-addresses-attack-in-manifesto/news-story/70372a39f720697813607a9ec426a734

Archived