The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom nominated for Bill Masterton Trophy

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Somebody on the Canucks might win a trophy,

well s#$t,that's outstanding.

I mean all 31 teams nominate someone. This isn't saying Marky is a top 3 finalist, it's just saying he's Vancouver's nominee to the list. He might end up 31st of 31 players for all we know. 

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Markstrom living up to and perhaps even exceeding Vancouver's (mostly late) tradition of very high character goaltenders.

Eddie Lack, Schneids. Luo, Miller, Bobby Essensa!, McLean....Cheech::D

Marky!

(Demko!)

Was watching the Stars game last night and wondering if it's possible Benning has set up a Tampa-like progression.  Here's hoping these guys can become something like the Bolts' Bishop/Vasilievskiy.....

Wow, naming Eddie Lack and Bob Essensa but not Richard Brodeur?

Anyway, Kay Whitmore had a lot of character (spirited backup) and so did both Arturs Irbe and Sean Burke (international legends).

And Gary Smith almost won the Hart Trophy for the Canucks in the 70s.

And the team broke into the league with Charlie Hodge between the pipes (Cup / Vezinas / All Star with Montreal).

If the Canucks have any good tradition that goes back a long way, it's goalies with solid character.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Wow, naming Eddie Lack and Bob Essensa but not Richard Brodeur?

settle down.  if you read the post, there is the qualifier "mostly late"  - by which I mean every goaltender on that list played in this millenium.  

that's where I drew the line - and sure - add whoever you will - it was a quick list - not exhaustive and not worth geting critical over.  ie my personal "late" favorites.

Cheeck is a joke - because, he's still with us.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

settle down.  if you read the post, there is the qualifier "mostly late"  - by which I mean every goaltender on that list played in this millenium.  

that's where I drew the line - and sure - add whoever you will - it was a quick list - not exhaustive and not worth geting critical over.  ie my personal "late" favorites.

Cheeck is a joke - because, he's still with us.

Cheech was a good character guy.  He had a winning record as a Canuck for his career, was assistant GM when he retired, and was known to fight in the WHA.

Anyway, I'm not angry about it.  I just try to get the old guys some respect around here when I can.

The early Canucks get swept under the rug and it's a shame that many, many fans today don't know who guys like Brodeur, Boudrias, Skriko, Tanti, Lidster, Suitcase Smith, etc. were.  Everything pre-94 is kind of written out of history, barring a couple names in the ROH, while equally deserving guys are left out to twist in the wind and fade away down the memory hole.

As great as Markstrom has been, I'm surprised the Canucks didn't nominate Sven Baertschi. He came back from a career threatening concussion. Usually those feats get nominated. Jury is still out on if Baertschi will be able to play long term but the fact that he returned at all should have warranted his nomination, in my opinion.

Archived