The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Montour. :sick:

Ralph quote: "The style will be a very disciplined one. We will want to attack on a very aggressive basis and we have the tools to do that, on the same time always building on a strong defensive core. (https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres/2019/05/15/four-things-know-new-buffalo-sabres-coach-ralph-krueger/3679627002/)

I think that points to Risto. I can see Ralph having patience with a struggling d man if he doesn't need to. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Montour was a minus 20 last year, and got a whopping 30 something points.  How in the heck does that make us better?  

Who's saying it'll make us better? I'm saying Buffalo likely isn't moving on from him and Risto would be more likely if a feasible deal can be made.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So which one of Buffalos defensemen least fits Krugers style? Thats the one that would be coming here. 

The Sabres are looking to reshape the roster.  I can only think of 3 players not for sale for the right price.  Only one of them being a d-man and we all know who that is.

Ristolainen is just the only player that the Sabres have left that is worth a premier price.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Ralph quote: "The style will be a very disciplined one. We will want to attack on a very aggressive basis and we have the tools to do that, on the same time always building on a strong defensive core. (https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres/2019/05/15/four-things-know-new-buffalo-sabres-coach-ralph-krueger/3679627002/)

I think that points to Risto. I can see Ralph having patience with a struggling d man if he doesn't need to. 

Montour had better match-ups, and was as bad as Risto defensively.  I hope you're right though.  I'd much rather have Risto.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Please please please!!!  Make it happen. Sounds like he is the one.  No way Canucks are targeting Bogosian.

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

A player's worth is determined by how much demand there is for him.  According to LeBrun, now that Trouba's been moved, plenty of teams are inquiring about Ristolainen including Tampa Bay.

https://theathletic.com/1034335/2019/06/18/lebrun-notebook-after-some-time-to-reflect-lightning-gm-julien-brisebois-sees-no-reason-to-alter-course/

The Canucks aren't going to be able to afford Ristolainen without making it hurt.

Hopefully it'll be one of those cases that they rather trade him out of their conference for less damage to their team if it backfires.

• Upvote 2

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres are looking to reshape the roster.  I can only think of 3 players not for sale for the right price.  Only one of them being a d-man and we all know who that is.

Ristolainen is just the only player that the Sabres have left that is worth a premier price.

I don't want Jim moving this years 10th for us, but if there's something around Virtanen I'd be fine with it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ralph can hope for whoever he wants, but Botterill's seat is starting to warm up in Buffalo and if trading Risto for a player(s) will cool his seat down again, Ralph will have to make do with the players left over.

Personally I'm surprised Risto lasted past last season's TDL.

Ralph can hope for whoever he wants, but Botterill's seat is starting to warm up in Buffalo and if trading Risto for a player(s) will cool his seat down again, Ralph will have to make do with the players left over.

Personally I'm surprised Risto lasted past last season's TDL.

How is Buffalo's cap situation?  Would they want cheap coming back (and picks) or guys getting money who will contribute right now?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't want Jim moving this years 10th for us, but if there's something around Virtanen I'd be fine with it.

With the demand so high, Virtanen will not even be close to enough to get a deal done.

• Cheers 1

With the demand so high, Virtanen will not even be close to enough to get a deal done.

Likely JB phoned, and asked what the price for Risto was, and said thanks, but that's too high for his team right now.  Maybe he even left an offer with Jake on the table, and gave the Sabres a while to think it over, and see if they can do better.  The Sabres will decide what's their best return.  

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

Hughes-Risto

Gardiner-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher 

This is something I would like. Or if we pull the trigger on that Lucic deal, get Nurse added as a sweetener and don't sign Gardiner. 

With that defence The Canucks would be that "my pillow" dude's favourite team...

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How is Buffalo's cap situation?  Would they want cheap coming back (and picks) or guys getting money who will contribute right now?

Cap is still fine.  More dead weight drops off after this season.

Botterill so far hasn't impressed anyone.  He needs to make moves that result in wins this season so that he can keep his job.

Just now, Alflives said:

Likely JB phoned, and asked what the price for Risto was, and said thanks, but that's too high for his team right now.  Maybe he even left an offer with Jake on the table, and gave the Sabres a while to think it over, and see if they can do better.  The Sabres will decide what's their best return.  

I'd imagine Botterill has multiple opening offers sitting on his desk right now.

Cap is still fine.  More dead weight drops off after this season.

Botterill so far hasn't impressed anyone.  He needs to make moves that result in wins this season so that he can keep his job.

then we aren't a good trading partner, because we don't have any guys (who JB will trade) that can help the Sabres win more.  Yes, Tanev and Sutter would be helpful, but they no where near worth Risto.  And trading Risto for old guys is just crazy.