The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He hasn't played and NHL game yet though.

And it's a long time after his draft.

I think 'bust' is relative to draft position; and so when others picked below him are already stars and Juolevi's been struggling for some time in lesser leagues, it does incline the sharp mind to develop and harbour doubts.

21 minutes ago, 112 said:

I think 'bust' is relative to draft position; and so when others picked below him are already stars and Juolevi's been struggling for some time in lesser leagues, it does incline the sharp mind to develop and harbour doubts.

I still think he's very capable of of being a quality NHLer. He's shown promise in the Finnish League and in the AHL before he got hurt. He has some room to grow but he has the skill set and smarts to be a capable NHL defenseman in this era.

I definitely have a different definition of bust than yours.

5 hours ago, 112 said:

Juolevi has struggled with injuries. Not with the level of play in the AHL...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

This is false.

Comments from management seem to be that Juolevi was adjusting very well to the AHL. So much so he was getting 24-25 minutes a game there. Regardless, this is a conversation that can happen in the Juolevi thread. Where topics about Juolevi are discussed. We are here to cry about Podkolzin's 1 minute of ice time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 112 said:

This is false.

No it is not. I watched a lot of Juolevi's games last season. By the time of his injury he was starting to dominate. His early season struggles were the result of his recovery from injury and his lack of playing time the previous year. He will start the year in Utica but will be a full time NHler (barring unforeseen injury of course) by the trade deadline...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

No it is not. I watched a lot of Juolevi's games last season. By the time of his injury he was starting to dominate. His early season struggles were the result of his recovery from injury and his lack of playing time the previous year. He will start the year in Utica but will be a full time NHler (barring unforeseen injury of course) by the trade deadline...

It's funny how fans on this site try to change the narrative. Juolevi was not dominating by any reasonable definition of the word, and writing off his struggles as the result of injuries/lack of playing time the year before is removing him too much from his responsibility to show up ready to play.

I don't think you can say injuries are unforeseen with this kid when he gets so many.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, 112 said:

This is false.

Kid was playing big minutes and put up 13 points in 18 games as an AHL rookie.

Put up on the best seasons ever by a rookie D at his age in the Finnish league the year before.

Had a great draft year with a stacked London team and WJC team, followed it up by maintaining his stat line on a pretty bad Knights team the next year.

What lesser league has he struggled at?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Kid was playing big minutes and put up 13 points in 18 games as an AHL rookie.

Put up on the best seasons ever by a rookie D at his age in the Finnish league the year before.

Had a great draft year with a stacked London team and WJC team, followed it up by maintaining his stat line on a pretty bad Knights team the next year.

What lesser league has he struggled at?

He was a defensive liability in Utica last year and his production was not impressive.

'One of the best seasons...' - by what metric?

Maintaining a junior stat line is not good; every year in jr, a player should be improving significantly regardless of who's graduated from the team.

He's been struggling since his draft. Be real.

Edited by 112
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

42 minutes ago, 112 said:

He was a defensive liability in Utica last year and his production was not impressive.

Maintaining a junior stat line is not good; every year in jr, a player should be improving significantly regardless of who's graduated from the team.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Time will tell...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 112 said:

I disagree with every point you made here.

Joulevi was not good defensively in his first few games in Utica.  He started to play very well in November before he got hurt.  How on earth is 13 points in 18 games as a 20 YO AHL rookie not impressive?  What would impress you?

Points is the the metric I used to claim he had one of the best 19/20 YO years as a rookie in the Liiga. Based on facts, not opinion.

No, you don't always increase point totals especially as a D.  Scoring 42 points with Cliff Pu as your teams leading scorer is far more difficult that scoring 42 points with Marner, Dvorak and Tkachuk all scoring 100+ points on a championship team.  

If OJ stays healthy this year, he will be in our top 4 by the end of the year.  He is big, smart and can skate and has excelled at every level he has played at.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I watched all his games, too.  He was minus four in his last four games, -12 overall. He looked good moving forward, but was awful defending - got walked frequently.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I disagree with every point you made here.

Joulevi was not good defensively in his first few games in Utica.  He started to play very well in November before he got hurt.  How on earth is 13 points in 18 games as a 20 YO AHL rookie not impressive?  What would impress you?

Points is the the metric I used to claim he had one of the best 19/20 YO years as a rookie in the Liiga. Based on facts, not opinion.

No, you don't always increase point totals especially as a D.  Scoring 42 points with Cliff Pu as your teams leading scorer is far more difficult that scoring 42 points with Marner, Dvorak and Tkachuk all scoring 100+ points on a championship team.  

If OJ stays healthy this year, he will be in our top 4 by the end of the year.  He is big, smart and can skate and has excelled at every level he has played at.

13 points in 18 games is impressive as an 18-year-old AHL rookie defenceman- not particularly as a 20-year-old. what would impress me is if he was demonstrating a good game otherwise, which he wasn't.

points is a bad metric for rationalizing that assertion. consensus in the news was that he was not having a good season; salo, the coach who was working with juolevi most closely, even said he was struggling.

• Haha 1