The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, IRR said:

People can have opinions / not like everything he’s done, but it’s beyond me why the media / some fans can’t give him credit where credit is due. If he was perfect / won a cup, they still wouldn’t. It’s nuts!!! Do they follow any other GMs / teams...it’s like they live in a bubble.  

Yeah, this is true. People are entitled to an opinion. I just feel like the negatives are overstated. Like, are his free agent signings home runs? No. I wouldn't argue that. I understand Schaller, Gagner and Eriksson haven't been particular good but they haven't sunk the team like most fans and media make it sound. Eriksson deal is very rough but one super bad contract doesn't make Benning "bad" at free agents like so many people seem to claim. The have either not mattered in the grand scheme of things or they have been little wins for the team like Roussel, Stecher and Beagle.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, this is true. People are entitled to an opinion. I just feel like the negatives are overstated. Like, are his free agent signings home runs? No. I wouldn't argue that. I understand Schaller, Gagner and Eriksson haven't been particular good but they haven't sunk the team like most fans and media make it sound. Eriksson deal is very rough but one super bad contract doesn't make Benning "bad" at free agents like so many people seem to claim. The have either not mattered in the grand scheme of things or they have been little wins for the team like Roussel, Stecher and Beagle.

True! None horrible, with the exception of Eriksson, but at the time it wasn’t. Plus, it seems that that summer of ufa’s was a strike out across the board for many teams. Others haven’t been bad or good, but have served a purpose and some are even good (especially this summer on paper), although we’ll see how it goes. I’d even say he’s improved as far as what players he’s signing and at what amt / term. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hmmm?

Has some pretty nasty elbows in the corners from what I have seen. Call it callous disregard for anything between him and the puck.

Has given a head butt as well... But took accountability... Was not happy with his actions... Knows he can't loose his emotions.  I don't think it's in his character to intend to injure...

But yah, he'll run you over to get the puck or take it to the net.

18 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Has given a head butt as well... But took accountability... Was not happy with his actions... Knows he can't loose his emotions.  I don't think it's in his character to intend to injure...

But yah, he'll run you over to get the puck or take it to the net.

Nyquist? GUSTAV NYQUIST!?

the only thing he's run over is snow and ice in Detroit....

• Haha 3

Great to hear about this extension.  He's a good guy and very capable.  People overstate his "bad" signings, and this has certainly been his biggest downfall, but the players should take the greater public hit for that.  The signings were reasonable, especially for a team not destined for the playoffs anyway.  The big picture looks good though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Between the miller trade and then this extension it tells me FA is OK not making the playoffs this year but expect them to next year.

If we don't make the playoffs we keep our first and our GM which could make the trade deadline period less do-or-die for Benning. 

Saying 'the dark days are behind us' could simply mean we expect 6-8 pt increase in standings this year and next which will keep things moving in the right direction.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Between the miller trade and then this extension it tells me FA is OK not making the playoffs this year but expect them to next year.

If we don't make the playoffs we keep our first and our GM which could make the trade deadline period less do-or-die for Benning. 

Saying 'the dark days are behind us' could simply mean we expect 6-8 pt increase in standings this year and next which will keep things moving in the right direction.

Agree with this.  I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs this year in fact.  Not a contender yet but perhaps in 4-5 years

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Is it just me or is TSN just relentlessly negative about almost anything related to canucks and/or JB right now especially?  Even the local tsn radio station.

Look at the difference in coverage, angle and subject focus of sportsnet vs tsn in relation to the Canucks.  Really blatantly obvious from my perspective.  So much so, that I'm taking a break from anything tsn for a while. :mad:

100%!!! Especially 2-3 people in particular!! It’s been bad for a while, but the last couple days were a whole other level. Not sure if they’re mad about losing their rights or what?! Again, other opinions are welcome and they don’t have to agree with everything’s he’s done, but give credit where credit is due. Plus, in the overall picture, he’s done a good job contrary to what they say. Just look around the league. I like a couple people on there, but I shut it off today & I’ll most likely be taking a break. 

Edit: Plus spouting info off like it’s fact, when it’s not even close.

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Just listened to Benning's presser about his extension. There was like 3-4 questions back to back about "getting some help in the front office" or a President of hockey ops. These idiots still probably think he's bad at free agent signings and trades. Then I read the comment section and seen fans commenting about how he is bad at trades and free agent signings. Youtube is just as bad as Twitter at this point.

A lot of people swallow what they hear from the local media as if they know what they're talking about.  Honestly, very little original thought going on.  Pretty superficial opinions too.  My 2 cents.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you know it might get to that. I heard someone on the wire, 650 maybe? can't quite recall, that he did have some 1 year offers but was waiting for better offers. Dunno, I can't see any GM not playing hardball with him at this point. Get a guy for cheap desperate to prove himself, someones going to take him but no ones giving him 3+ mil per. 

LA made him an offer apparently but he turned it down.  Terms weren't part of the report

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

A lot of people swallow what they hear from the local media as if they know what they're talking about.  Honestly, very little original thought going on.  Pretty superficial opinions too.  My 2 cents.

That's way too polite!

In fact, it's not the media that's the sole problem, it's the people believing the media who are the other half of the problem.

#craycray

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's way too polite!

In fact, it's not the media that's the sole problem, it's the people believing the media who are the other half of the problem.

#craycray

Yep! A good chunk of people on the station.....then just listen to the people calling / texting in. Makes me want to pop one in my cranium! 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

Yep! A good chunk of people on the station.....then just listen to the people calling / texting in. Makes me want to pop one in my cranium! 

People need fake news. It's justifies their fantasy. The truth is too hard.

The local media hating on this extension is an opportunity for fans to say enough, we're smarter than that. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

People need fake news. It's justifies their fantasy. The truth is too hard.

The local media hating on this extension is an opportunity for fans to say enough, we're smarter than that. 

Indeed! It’s just crazy to me what some believe, even when the truth is in front of their eyes.

Oh well, I’ll just watch my favourite team crush it & shove it down their throats. 

• Cheers 1