The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, the grinder said:

I totally get where you are coming from , I think it comes down to a comparison to the two gms   the anti benning group will be " that idiot benning trading for guddy   what a waste " and a pro benning will go" well gillis got garrison " ,   So to me those a very similar players and very similar problems   by two different gms   so really is one any better than the other ,  I agree gillis does deserve credit  but in the same breath , benning deserves credit from starting over again and dealing with management wishes ,  

Now regarding Benning, kind of the same as Gillis on how I feel about him, do I think he's the greatest GM no, but he's done some good things and some questionable things as well, doesn't mean I don't like him I believe he's really good at drafting and seeing potential in players, so I do like that in him.

Regarding the starting over part, that area imo is a catch 22 as they like to call it. The original approach they took which is the one I didn't agree with, was instead of stripping this team down and restarting over, they wanted to try and stay competitive instead and give the Sedins a couple more years it seemed at a chance at the cup(I still believe it was Aquilini though), but that is what has pushed this rebuild back which I knew was going to happen by taking that approach. They're on the right approach now, it's just it could of started sooner but they took a different approach which slowed the rebuild down, so as a fan yes it frustrates me a bit because I believe we should be a couple more years ahead in the rebuild then we are.

Obviously both GMs were in 2 different situations, but hey one of them got this team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and if Benning can do that and get this team to the Stanley Cup finals again, then he will for sure be labeled better then Gillis hands down, the only question will be though will he have enough time to get there, that will be the big question, and that starts with this year imo this team needs to make the playoffs and if they don't, well that's going to be a big fail imo.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Now regarding Benning, kind of the same as Gillis on how I feel about him, do I think he's the greatest GM no, but he's done some good things and some questionable things as well, doesn't mean I don't like him I believe he's really good at drafting and seeing potential in players, so I do like that in him.

Regarding the starting over part, that area imo is a catch 22 as they like to call it. The original approach they took which is the one I didn't agree with, was instead of stripping this team down and restarting over, they wanted to try and stay competitive instead and give the Sedins a couple more years it seemed at a chance at the cup(I still believe it was Aquilini though), but that is what has pushed this rebuild back which I knew was going to happen by taking that approach. They're on the right approach now, it's just it could of started sooner but they took a different approach which slowed the rebuild down, so as a fan yes it frustrates me a bit because I believe we should be a couple more years ahead in the rebuild then we are.

Obviously both GMs were in 2 different situations, but hey one of them got this team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and if Benning can do that and get this team to the Stanley Cup finals again, then he will for sure be labeled better then Gillis hands down, the only question will be though will he have enough time to get there, that will be the big question, and that starts with this year imo this team needs to make the playoffs and if they don't, well that's going to be a big fail imo.

I agree with most of your post   , but the stripping down of the roster is where the problem lies .   it not  that I don't agree to it  , it where ntc came into affect  that prevented stripping down the roster   it had to be done in stages  because a lot of ntc had term on them .    when torts uttered the core is stale  statement  , I thought management would get the hint but they decided to give it another kick at the can . so really cant blame benning for following ownerships  wishes 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They were 9 points out. A bubble team is right there within striking distance till the end. We were out weeks before the end of the season. We finished 12th in the conference & were basically as far away from last in the west as we were to the last playoff spot.

I'm not saying we arent much improved this season from last. Never said that once. Is just q little disingenuous to act like we were right on the edge till the very end.

We were in a playoff spot with a month or two left, with opportunities to make up ground on the other teams & dropped the ball. Without Markstrom we wouldve been much closer to LA than Colorado.

Its a good thing we bolstered our offense this off season b/c it really cost us down the stretch last year.

there were 8 teams we failed to take a [point off of last year.Just a loser OT point against them makes up more than Nine points we would have needed to make the playoffs.

Its not just added goals to expect this season its the added defense to prevent them. Last season when Edler and Tanev went down we had Stecher and Hutton as our top 2. This year we have Myers and Benn and I see that as a huge upgrade over the previous two. Add in Hughes for a full year and we may have a much improved goals against this season if Marky can just play at a decent level. Goal for on the power play should be up as Miller adds passing ability and another look for either the first PP or better yet the second. We also have a D man that can shoot the puck on the first unit as well in Myers. Edler hasnt exactly been productive there the last three seasons. If Myers can score 5-8 goals on the power play with his shot its a huge improvement over Edlers 1 on the power play. Theres a lot of question marks this coming season that could answered very quickly once the games start for real. I like the odds that they will pick up a few goals for and a few against and that could translate into those 9 points we need or maybe even a few more.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I keep hearing you say we get it we get it, yet you go and read some of the posts and it doesn't show they get it.... Definitely not with the way some are still arguing regarding the prospect pool after he was gone.

Gillis also wasn't able to draft as high as Benning has been able to due to where they end up in the standings, do people put that into account when he was drafting? And of course trading picks off, to not be able to draft because they went for the win now instead, which to this day I support 100%.

I'm not here trying to argue that Gillis was the greatest GM no, I do question some of his stuff and didn't like hearing he wasn't very liked around the league by other GMs, so that limited him with who to trade with due to them not really liking him in the first place. I feel he did a good job at trying to build and keep a strong favorite team to win the cup and he got them to within the last game to do it, yeah it sucks we didn't win and yes it sucks for when the vets slowed down after a couple years, because we didn't draft high or draft at all, but that's the price you pay sometimes. I just don't believe Gillis deserves any crap for it if anything he should be praised more by the fans, for almost getting this team it's first Stanley Cup ever, but he doesn't seem to get that by the fans because of this crap he didn't care about the future instead.

Take Benning's firsts out and his record is still far better than Gillis'.  Gillis couldn't identify an NHLer if he tripped over Elias Pettersson.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I don't want to talk about Gillis but I think that your middle paragraph is pretty close to reality.  

I get why Aquilini wanted a retool.  He felt cheated.  They had a very good team.  The best team in the league for 2 seasons and then Aquilini was being advised to rebuild.  How many times had Chicago re-tooled and won yet another cup.  So there was to be no rebuild even when we all expected it when Benning the scout was hired as GM.  I think this is one of the reasons why the local media have such a hate-on for Benning.  He wasn't bringing them what they expected.  Sure there were NTC issues turning the team over but the fact remained that FA wanted to get the Sedins another playoff run and that was what was behind the logic of signing Loui Eriksson.

Of course the advice to rebuild back in 2012 was the right advice.  The Sedin's were 30 when they got their first shot at the cup.  J Toews was 22 and P Kane was 21 when they won their first cup.

It took until the spring of 2018 before they figured out that a full on rebuild was necessary.  The good news was that a partial one had been happening by way of adding young players like Horvat and Virtanen to support the twins.  It could be that Benning had finally succeeded in convincing Aquilini to rebuild.  Did he go behind Linden's back to do this?  At any rate, Linden was gone soon and so were the Sedins.  I think that the focus on growth of the team has been finer since.  I think that we can only really judge Benning on his performance since the rebuild was officially on.  We have seen decisive trades that were like those from his first year that earned Benning the nick name Trader Jim.  And bold moves like bringing in Beagle and Roussel and this past off season, bringing in higher end players to support a new core.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think we should start drinking every time KOS posts this, we will be hammered by the morning. No point just look at the record the last four years, the rebuilding team didnt make the playoffs while they re built. Ok Im downing some fireball right now.

I see you failed to comment on 

Tkachuk 6th ( 71 NHL goals now  )  ....  Calgary says thanks to Jim for this.

Montreal took D man Sergachev at 9th pick and he now has 165 games in the NHL

Not surprising though.  I think we all need to do a shot every time Mikey buries his head in the sand while typing on his keyboard....

35 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

.  We have seen decisive trades that were like those from his first year that earned Benning the nick name Trader Jim.  And bold moves like bringing in Beagle and Roussel and this past off season, bringing in higher end players to support a new core.

When a GM denies a rebuild and attempts to stay employed... so basically cheating the loyal fans out of high quality cup contending team.....   that is reason for Canuck fans to be upset with what we have had to support.....

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's pretty interesting to see how certain people seem to be rooting for players like Juolevi to fail just to fit the narrative they want to push.

Juolevi seems to be doing just fine at that on his own....  hasn't needed any help from Canuck fans....

Kid is still young but he needs to start improving real quick....

Edited by kingofsurrey

10 hours ago, Duodenum said:

As the saying goes, always count your chickens before they hatch.

Nobody's counting anything. 

'Gee, the later picks and undrafted guys who will help the club in a few years, haven't done it yet because they haven't mastered time and space'.

No excrement Sherlock. Amazing point that is. Nobody compared anyone or made any guarantees. Chances are at least a few of those guys (and/or others) will help out the team in the next few years. 

Unless your premise is certainty that NONE of them will (and some sort of proof there time traveler) you can frankly stuff it with your 'point'.

Edited by aGENT

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Juolevi seems to be doing just fine at that on his own....  hasn't needed any help from Canuck fans....

Kid is still young but he needs to start improving real quick....

He did improve until he was injured and missed the season. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/16/2019 at 5:28 PM, Warhippy said:

I don't understand it.

You have to be pretty stubborn or blind to not see what has happened to this team.  We bottomed out 3 seasons ago, had a 4 point then 7 point increase and are set to have a solid year.  We've assembled the deepest prospect pool and possibly most skilled this team has ever had.  We have shed almost $40 million and 9 years in age off the roster.  We still have holes and yes over the next 2 seasons we may end up giving out a 1st round pick for a 3rd line 50+ point centre 

But damn you have to be really obtuse to simply point to a graph and use that as your only complaint or argument about benning so far.

Really Hip?

this thread started well until

Pears won the day with, "Where those Jimbo haters at? Lets goooo"

and it was on, 2/3 of the comments in the first 5 pages are either "SUCK IT HATERS"  or "I can't wait to hear HF cry" 

How about I add a meme of a crying baby and say "HF"?

So the King repeats himself, is that better or worse than 50 posters repeating "SUCK IT HATERS"?

The Anti-neg crowd, ya that's a double negative cuz they are not being positive, spew crap for 5 pages and then Don Brasheer comes through on page 7 with the following gem.

On 8/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

OMG! YES!!!!!!! All I can think of when I read this is how pissed off all those "fans" are going to be on hfboards. LOL. CHEERS TO THE CANUCKS!!!!!! WOOO

and you are mad at KOS for being repetitive.

The Anti-neg haters are haters just like the regular haters, and the King is trolling them and appearently you also, because you have bought into his argument.

I say good for the King, if there was still a neg button, he'd have won the day too, just like Pears did.

I really don't understand how you have fallen for his troll job.

I am far from Jim's biggest supporter, but I can see what this signing is. It is stability for year 50, so the team doesn't look like a rudderless ship with celebrations every week.

That has to be a plus, and a smart move on Aqua's part.

If things work out great, but if not, the great thing about signing the GM is it could be $6X6 and it won't count against the cap, there is no NMC or recapture. 

Its just Aqua $s.

For you and me its a no lose situation,

Jim brings us a cup - GREAT

Jim gets fired and another GM gets the credit for a good build -  STILL GREAT

But a bunch of Anti-hater haters gettin' trolled by a troll? - don't care

I'm just surprised you fell into it.

31 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He did improve until he was injured and missed the season. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story. 

I hope you are right.  I heard conflicting reports on how his year was going before his injury.......    Don't let your dreams get in the way of the truth...