The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

LA made him an offer apparently but he turned it down.  Terms weren't part of the report

interesting. I didn't hear teams specifically it was just "several teams". I hope he lands somewhere, he's a good kid. 

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because, the deepest prospect depth in the history of the organization is lacking? You can only sign so many. We already have people lamenting letting decent prospects walk because of the depth.

I never said this. And I never had a problem with any prospects we've let go. Anyone worth a contract has got one IMO.

I'm just saying we gotta always keep prioritizing drafting & draft picks, even as we get better. Pittsburgh & WSH had been great teams for a decade & then won recently with alot of key secondary guys that they drafted.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

First, Sutter is HIGHLY underrated around here. Yes, he needs to get back to staying healthy. (Hopefully, like Edler/Tanev, the added depth and what appears to be a higher possession team this season, help with that.)

But yes at some point 'soon', he'll likely be moved to make room for fresh meat.

Second, of course it's understandable. Again, it's very situational, I'm glad your can at least see that. Now what makes you think that's going to continue? Did any of the signings this summer indicate that's a continuing trend?

I think were on some middle ground here. I agree Sutter is a good player, very useful when he can stay healthy.

I think when we acquired him (and signed him to that big ticket) our management was hoping, with more opportunity here than in his previous stops, for him to bring more in terms of offense & overall impact. Obviously he's suited more to that 3rd line role Green has used him in. 

I don't have a problem with Sutter, he's overpaid by about a million probably, but he's a quality player nonetheless. Its just his health & our need for cap space in our evolution point to him being a guy on the way out in due time. I think we agree on that.

As for that trend, I didn't say it was going to continue. I actually made a point to say contracts are going come off the books & there'll be a fresh slate in time.

I'm reserving judgement on any future signings until the deals are signed, and when they are I'll give my opinion like everyone else. With our young core the prospects for the team are looking up, so we shouldn't have to tack on extra years & millions attract free agents moving forward. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

1040 has gone down the drain ever since they lost their rights. 

they get most of their traffic by spewing negative spins towards everything management does. their listeners are probably 90% hfboard users.

they barely even talk about hockey anymore, too much CFL stuff for me. 

1040 is better than any of those Sportsnet drones. I fall asleep listening to Alex Auld speak.

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The point is Sakic inherited MacKinnon. He took on a team that was bad already, so he didn't have to suffer as long as a GM, but the team arguably was in the dumps longer than the Canucks and thus had a longer time to rebuild. Benning started his GM career further behind than Sakic did and he had to hit his home run in EP. Rantanen was a good pick by Sakic, but he had a #1 overall to play with, something we never have been so lucky to have.

He lost Stastny for nothing and can you imagine if this happened to Benning? It's the negative perception that comes with everything Benning does while for Sakic, it's "not a factor". He had to trade ROR, just like we had to trade Kesler, difference was we had one or two teams to work with while ROR had no limitations and was a younger player. He did well with the Duchene trade, but he had a Duchene to trade (again no restrictions), we didn't. I doubt Sakic knew that Ottawa was going to plummet like they did when they made that trade. They were Eastern conference finalists about to add Duchene to the mix and no one knew the EK situation was about to blow up.

Sakic had 2/3 of his current powerhouse line already in place and a top RD in which he only recently lost but replaced because his team hasn't been all too successful in the beginning when he started much like Benning's Canucks.

Actually he didn't inherit Mackinnon. He drafted Mackinnon. And Mackinnon wasn't the slam dunk #1 pick at the time, it was very much a two horse race with Seth Jones, but if you remember Sakic infamously said right away they were taking Nate, leading to speculation he might've been bluffing. Then in his first number of years Mackinnon was fairly average.

As far as Stastny, this is lacking context. Colorado had just won their division & made the playoffs. Of course they weren't going to trade him, that's not a knock. Like if we make the playoffs this year on the back of Jakob Markstrom, Benning won't take heat for not dealing him at the deadline. Thats crazy talk. Its really not a 'can you imagine if this happened here' thing unless your wanting to generalize fringe opinions.

We did trade Bieksa, Kes and Garrison. We would've traded Hamhuis, but chose not to take a low ball offer and let him walk out of principle and it paid off in the next TDL. This is where the negativity comes though where Benning is scrutinized for not trading Hamhuis, while Stastny got them nothing too and I'd argue Stastny would've been the more valuable player at the time.

You can't really say any of the assets we had would've netted any return that ROR or Duchene would get. Kesler would've been the only one but he handcuffed us.

I'm not saying Sakic hasn't done a good job, but at the same time, what Benning has built in comparison from a different starting point, he should be getting just as much praise. The difference is Benning is our GM so he's in the spotlight/microscope here.

Here's the thing about the comparison, it is relative. Colorado had younger pieces earlier, then the team fell apart after Sakic came in. After that first year, Mackinnon was average, Duchene regressed, Stastny left, ROR wasn't as good, Varlamov regressed. They had one of the worst years ever. They could've followed EDM or Buffalo, but Sakic did some really nice work to move guys out & get the team turned around. Now they are rising at the same point as we are.

Did they start with better pieces? Sure. EDM & Buffalo had pieces than us aswell, but we are ahead of them because Benning did a better job than they did.

He made one of the best trades in recent memory with Duchene. And he targetted the right younger assets with ROR, but its not just those trades. It was also lesser moves, weaponizing cap space to bring in Grubauer as the new starter, bringing in guys like Nieto / Calvert / Cole / Soderberg who had been cast aside by other teams but fit in a nice role with Colorado. Signed Mackinnon to one of the best contracts in the NHL. exc.

Benning did fine with his initial returns on Bieksa & Garrison. The Hamhuis situation was a blunder. The Kesler trade was fine, the only argument might be it was more of a win now return, but the value was good under the circumstances.

Were a bit futher behind in our young guys are just coming up now. But he asked a question and I answered it. It doesn't have to be a knock on Benning, I think Sakic has done a really good job the last few years & with his patience on that Duchene trade accelerated the outlook of the team.

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The fact he had a Duchene to trade already means he had more to work with than Benning. Kesler was by far our best trade chip and we only had two teams he’d accept a trade to. Also Sakic had a MacKinnon and a Landeskog to build around when he officially became GM which was after the 12/13 season I believe. We just had Bo when Benning signed on. 

Its still relative. As I said above, Buffalo & EDM had better pieces to work with than us too, but Benning has done better than there GM's. The team Sakic inherited looked to be on the rise then it collapsed, he made nice moves to avoid going back into the cellar like BUF & EDM. Doesn't have to be a knock on Benning, he had less to work with & did a decent job with some of the vets he did have. 

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

1040 has gone down the drain ever since they lost their rights. 

they get most of their traffic by spewing negative spins towards everything management does. their listeners are probably 90% hfboard users.

they barely even talk about hockey anymore, too much CFL stuff for me. 

They were doing the Jean Claude Van Damme splits over top of the drain for a good decade before that.

Vancouver sports radio has sucked since at LEAST the early 90s, when those late night guys got famous for being ridiculously sour.

I can't believe I used to listen to that crap!

Edited by xereau

26 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm just saying we gotta always keep prioritizing drafting & draft picks, even as we get better. Pittsburgh & WSH had been great teams for a decade & then won recently with alot of key secondary guys that they drafted.

Benning, Brackett and co LOVE drafting. I can't foresee that being an issue ;)

I think when we acquired him (and signed him to that big ticket) our management was hoping, with more opportunity here than in his previous stops, for him to bring more in terms of offense & overall impact. Obviously he's suited more to that 3rd line role Green has used him in. 

I think you're adding your own narrative. I think they thought he could fill in during a transition period playing 2nd line minutes (which he did and quite well) in a match up role. I don't think they thought he was going to turn in to 'legit', 50'ish point 2C.

I don't have a problem with Sutter, he's overpaid by about a million probably, but he's a quality player nonetheless. Its just his health & our need for cap space in our evolution point to him being a guy on the way out in due time. I think we agree on that.

Half million maybe :P And in due time, yes. Don't think that's right now though. This TDL? Maybe. Next year? Maybe. Well see...

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So clearly you made either a false read on the situation or chose to put on your own spin despite the reality of it. 

This is exactly what your doing.

I have no problem backing up my opinions, I've been responding to the same people for a few days on this now if you haven't noticed. 

@ilduce39 said he understood where I was coming from & just had a different opinion. I appreciate & can respect that. 

When your discussing the moves of an organization or general manager over a period of time, there's layer of nuance to it that you choose to ignore when your pick certain points of a post & try to tell me what I meant in saying certain things. Take what I say as a whole or don't respond, its 'exasperating' (as Gilly used to say) having things taken out of context then attacked as if I'm supposed to defend whatever spin you throw on it. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hmmm?

Has some pretty nasty elbows in the corners from what I have seen. Call it callous disregard for anything between him and the puck.

Spent his childhood endlessly rewatching videos of Bure's "mother of all elbows"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D-ZCuZ5UWEV0&ved=2ahUKEwiUnaP695LkAhW-FzQIHfBzCskQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw3XVRpZ1xb1wHZCNukDjEOq

Edited by Googlie

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think you're adding your own narrative. I think they thought he could fill in during a transition period playing 2nd line minutes (which he did and quite well) in a match up role. I don't think they thought he was going to turn in to 'legit', 50'ish point 2C.

Half million maybe :P And in due time, yes. Don't think that's right now though. This TDL? Maybe. Next year? Maybe. Well see...

We more or less agree. I think your being a little disingenuous on how bull-ish Benning was on getting Sutter. They weren't expecting the 2nd coming of Ryan Kesler certainly, but they were looking at him as a being a bigger piece of the core here than his previous stops as I said, hence "foundational player". 

Its not right this second. Its probably not as easy to do right now due to his health. But yes in time now that they have Beagle & Gaudette, he'll be a cap clearing candidate. 

Cheers on middle ground. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We more or less agree. I think your being a little disingenuous on how bull-ish Benning was on getting Sutter. They weren't expecting the 2nd coming of Ryan Kesler certainly, but they were looking at him as a being a bigger piece of the core here than his previous stops as I said, hence "foundational player". 

Its not right this second. Its probably not as easy to do right now due to his health. But yes in time now that they have Beagle & Gaudette, he'll be a cap clearing candidate. 

Cheers on middle ground. 

Nope, not disingenuous. He has been 'foundational'.

Wrong side of offensive zone starts, faceoffs, PK, sheltering... Basically all the REALLY hard stuff so kids could come in and just acclimate with comparatively easy minutes/situations and simply get better and better.

Foundational.

Without him, the foundation of our next core suffers IMO.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Nope, not disingenuous. He has been 'foundational'.

Wrong side of offensive zone starts, faceoffs, PK, sheltering... Basically all the REALLY hard stuff so kids could come in and just acclimate with comparatively easy minutes/situations and simply get better and better.

Foundational.

Without him, the foundation of our next core suffers IMO.

Well he's been hurt so much Bo has had to take that over, I guess his production has suffered...

Benning talked alot of Sutter being really good in the playoffs, and him allowing the team to compete with other teams in the division / conference. Unfortunately that didn't play out as they had hoped, at first he was pretty good offensively, now that side of it has declined, but yes he's been good in a matchup role when he's in. I agree.

5 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Near the end, he mentioned tryamkin (spelling) and he even said they working to get him back, so im sure all u tryamkin fans will be happy :p

trymakin  hell yeah    6 foot 8   and 6 7 myers    that's a d core and a half literally 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well he's been hurt so much Bo has had to take that over, I guess his production has suffered...

Benning talked alot of Sutter being really good in the playoffs, and him allowing the team to compete with other teams in the division / conference. Unfortunately that didn't play out as they had hoped, at first he was pretty good offensively, now that side of it has declined, but yes he's been good in a matchup role when he's in. I agree.

actually bo had his best production year last year    so bo got better

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

actually bo had his best production year last year    so bo got better

Yeah thats true, Bo was incredible given his role & linemates.

With legit wingers & hopefully Sutter having better health, his production can improve even more. Kinda like when Manny came in and took part of Kesler's workload. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah thats true, Bo was incredible given his role & linemates.

With legit wingers & hopefully Sutter having better health, his production can improve even more. Kinda like when Manny came in and took part of Kesler's workload. 

ya im kinda wondering about sutters health  or baer   really haven't heard much of them lately