The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, "The Vase" said:

Did any mention he is the only Vancouver GM to draft a Calder winner since the 90s!!!?? That alone has to be worth something...

I feel like the media / some fans forget this.....not only do we have 3 amazing players in Boeser, Pettersson & Hughes, but potentially 3 Calder Finalist / Winners in 3 years. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You hate Benning huh

Even a monkey can throw a dart and occassionaly pop a balloon.....

Canucks are the 2nd worst franchise over the last 5 years... maybe Buffalo is a few points worse...

That alone should get you a few decent prospects...  Wait and see how development goes...  We have done a crap job with developing Virt  and Jouls seems to be off track as well.... time will tell. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

39 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jim's getting up there in longest tenured GM's for this franchise. If he lasts through this contract won't he be tied with Pat Quinn for #1? 

Yah, missing the playoffs consistently is such a good reason for an extension..  amirite ?

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Even a monkey can throw a dart and occassionaly pop a balloon.....

Canucks are the 2nd worst franchise over the last 5 years... maybe Buffalo is a few points worse...

That alone should get you a few decent prospects...  Wait and see how development goes...  We have done a crap job with developing Virt  and Jouls seems to be off track as well.... time will tell. 

I’m not going to even get into it with ya haha.

I’ve seen all your posts man. You hate him and that’s fine just seems like a waste of energy

• Upvote 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

I’m not going to even get into it with ya haha.

I’ve seen all your posts man. You hate him and that’s fine just seems like a waste of energy

I have lots of energy. Love the Canucks.  Can't wait to see the club this year.

I think we are going to take a few steps forward this year with our forwards....... but i still think our D is weak.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Your schtick is so tired. Whiny, misanthropic, repetitive, and nauseating. 

Your stick is weak sauce.....   very weak.  Swiss chalet weak sauce.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Actually he didn't inherit Mackinnon. He drafted Mackinnon. And Mackinnon wasn't the slam dunk #1 pick at the time, it was very much a two horse race with Seth Jones, but if you remember Sakic infamously said right away they were taking Nate, leading to speculation he might've been bluffing. Then in his first number of years Mackinnon was fairly average.

As far as Stastny, this is lacking context. Colorado had just won their division & made the playoffs. Of course they weren't going to trade him, that's not a knock. Like if we make the playoffs this year on the back of Jakob Markstrom, Benning won't take heat for not dealing him at the deadline. Thats crazy talk. Its really not a 'can you imagine if this happened here' thing unless your wanting to generalize fringe opinions.

The MacKinnon draft year was a peculiar one for the Avs management. Sakic wasn't the GM but apparently did have the final say in hockey matters. At the end of the day though, he inherited a 1st overall pick to make the decision, something the Canucks have not had in franchise history. To continue on with the Benning comparison, can you imagine if Benning picked 1st overall and said player didn't perform for the first few years (perhaps Virtanen will follow suit, just not to the same extent).

You're right about Stastny, but I'm not too sure of some of this fanbase/media still not giving Benning grief for not moving Markstrom, in your example, should we have a 1st round exit.

Here's the thing about the comparison, it is relative. Colorado had younger pieces earlier, then the team fell apart after Sakic came in. After that first year, Mackinnon was average, Duchene regressed, Stastny left, ROR wasn't as good, Varlamov regressed. They had one of the worst years ever. They could've followed EDM or Buffalo, but Sakic did some really nice work to move guys out & get the team turned around. Now they are rising at the same point as we are.

Did they start with better pieces? Sure. EDM & Buffalo had pieces than us aswell, but we are ahead of them because Benning did a better job than they did.

He made one of the best trades in recent memory with Duchene. And he targetted the right younger assets with ROR, but its not just those trades. It was also lesser moves, weaponizing cap space to bring in Grubauer as the new starter, bringing in guys like Nieto / Calvert / Cole / Soderberg who had been cast aside by other teams but fit in a nice role with Colorado. Signed Mackinnon to one of the best contracts in the NHL. exc.

Benning did fine with his initial returns on Bieksa & Garrison. The Hamhuis situation was a blunder. The Kesler trade was fine, the only argument might be it was more of a win now return, but the value was good under the circumstances.

Were a bit futher behind in our young guys are just coming up now. But he asked a question and I answered it. It doesn't have to be a knock on Benning, I think Sakic has done a really good job the last few years & with his patience on that Duchene trade accelerated the outlook of the team.

Like I said, I'm not saying Sakic did a poor job or anything. The point is Sakic gets praised for all his work and Benning isn't viewed in the same light despite facing a tougher challenge.

For example, now Sakic is being praised for his patience on the Duchene deal (again I repeat that I doubt anyone expected Ottawa to falter the way they did to give them the pick that they had to and they had a Duchene to trade), yet Benning decision to not move Hamhuis is viewed as a blunder even though it paid dividends the following year not allowing teams to low-ball for his players.

A lot of the negative posters talk about our record over the last 4 seasons, but will not talk about the Avs record before they made a turnaround/MacKinnon upping his game and they're really only have been a bubble playoff team and yet are viewed as contenders with minimal upgrades and potentially a downgrade in goal.

Right now, IMO Colorado is only ahead of us by a MacKinnon, which is a big deal, but Benning never had that opportunity. EP might be the guy to take us over the top in the way MacKinnon has, but again IMO we look to have a better supporting cast to close that gap quicker before EP makes that leap. But we do not seem far off today from what the Avs are, yet they are the Cup contenders and we are supposedly another missed playoffs from firing Benning according to some.

Edit: I just re-read what you were responding to initially. While I still feel like Sakic had a better start, I agree with your response. I just got caught up/riled up with some of the responses on here. So some of this response doesn't pertain to your views necessarily.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

ya im kinda wondering about sutters health  or baer   really haven't heard much of them lately

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Baer was playing at the end of the year, should be good to go for camp. Haven't heard about Sutter either. 

There was an interview with Sutter where he said he's ready to go for camp and working out. I believe it was this one:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/brandon-sutter-nice-see-different-mindset-team-going-season/

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Why not wait till he could find a solution to the Eriksson situation before rewarding him? SMH... 

oh they have a plan for Loui alright   Benning basically said yep there is going to be lots of competition  for positions  and if you don't preform  that going effect playing time and ice time  , plus there is going to be very hard decisions to send players to Utica  after training camp   , Benning  also said Travis green is real excited for more competition  for all position      

I read that as loui showing up to camp and if he f isn't going to work hard  and compete   ,see ya in Utica   training camp  is loui,s  last chance

• Cheers 1