The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The athletic projects the Canucks 26th overall?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Look at the Buffalo Sabres and Edmonton Oilers roster vs. record for the last 5 or 6 years.  Bottom feeding isn't just a team problem, it's also an organizational problem.

The Sabres and Oilers have talent out the wazoo, but they manage to suck year after year.  That points to an organizational failure which has led to a bottom feeding team.

I don't know what that has to do with the Canucks and it isn't really an answer but OK.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair, most pundits had us at dead last in 2018-19 with below 70 points. We finished quite a bit above that. 

The ones that were guesses by journalists have also said plenty of times that the Canucks are tough to pin down because they have the potential to do well or do poorly. 

Injury status was pointed to as well. 

Injuries are a friggin' plague on the Canucks.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Or the Canucks are the team that demolishes the analytics a la the Blues.

?

Weren't the Blues pretty good analytically. 

From January 1 onwards, they had the best shot for% in the league. the highest expected goals for%, the 7th highest corsi, the 4th highest scoring chances for%, the most high danger scoring chances, the 2nd least high danger scoring chances against, etc.

1 minute ago, BlastPast said:

I don't know what that has to do with the Canucks and it isn't really an answer but OK.

You're looking for a number.  It isn't as simple as that.

Detroit is likely going to finish in the bottom 5 again this year, but I refuse to call them bottom feeders.

I'm not going to spoon feed you generic answers.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Duodenum said:

?

Weren't the Blues pretty good analytically.

Not on The Athletic's list.  They were ranked rather low until the second half of the season.   This guy updates his list weekly as more numbers come in for him to work with.

You're looking for a number.  It isn't as simple as that.

Detroit is likely going to finish in the bottom 5 again this year, but I refuse to call them bottom feeders.

I'm not going to spoon feed you generic answers.

So if you're on the 3rd/4th floor of a 10 story building you're close to the ground ? Don't worry, I don't want to be spoon fed what you're serving up

Not on The Athletic's list.  They were ranked rather low until the second half of the season.   This guy updates his list weekly as more numbers come in for him to work with.

I wonder how using just a team's plus/minus (goals for v goals against) could reflect a chart, and if it would be pretty similar to the one this guy created?   Maybe it's pretty close, and an equally decent predictor of where teams (based on last year's stats) will finish?  Although, if this person is only using numbers from last season, how does that take into account the changes teams make over the summer? 

1 minute ago, BlastPast said:

So if you're on the 3rd/4th floor of a 10 story building you're close to the ground ? Don't worry, I don't want to be spoon fed what you're serving up

Awww somebody is upset... Poor widdle man.  It'll be allll right.

Also, sure, buildings and their floors are comparable to sports!  Bulls-eye widdle man!

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey, they had St-Louis 24th last year....so could be our year :lol:... works for me.

In all seriousness, with the parity in the NHL nowadays, the margin for error in these predictions is much bigger then it used to be IMO.  Any lengthy injuries to key player(s) can derail a season quickly.  I think arguments can be made for the Canucks to finish anywhere between 14th overall to 26th overall, easily.  Thats a huge gap.

Personnaly, the few that really stand out for me are:

Too high : Anaheim, Carolina, Minnesota, Boston, Columbus,

Too low : Vegas, San Jose, Chicago and Vancouver

Just now, Alflives said:

I wonder how using just a team's plus/minus (goals for v goals against) could reflect a chart, and if it would be pretty similar to the one this guy created?   Maybe it's pretty close, and an equally decent predictor of where teams (based on last year's stats) will finish?  Although, if this person is only using numbers from last season, how does that take into account the changes teams make over the summer? 

No idea.  Feel free to do the leg work and let us know what you come up with! :lol:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Hey, they had St-Louis 24th last year....so could be our year :lol:... works for me.

In all seriousness, with the parity in the NHL nowadays, the margin for error in these predictions is much bigger then it used to be IMO.  Any lengthy injuries to key player(s) can derail a season quickly.  I think arguments can be made for the Canucks to finish anywhere between 14th overall to 26th overall, easily.  Thats a huge gap.

Personnaly, the few that really stand out for me are:

Too high : Anaheim, Carolina, Minnesota, Boston, Columbus,

Too low : Vegas, San Jose, Chicago and Vancouver

Unless the injuries derail yet another season.  It's a trend that needs to friggin' stop. 

31 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's an analytical model purely based on numbers.  The OP said/inferred it was the writers but he's wrong.  It's the same one, made up by the one guy who is the top analytics guy on the site that I posted last season that you all cried about.  It turned out to be fairly accurate in the end with the only major outlier being the St. Louis Blues.

oh well as long as the only one they missed was St Louis :picard: :lol:

Just now, BlastPast said:

Ok well that settles that debate . Good Lord.

There is no debate.  You want to be spoon fed and then made an apples to oranges comparison after getting upset.  Any serious conversation with you won't happen until I forget about this one. 

Fortunately my memory sucks when it comes to talking to people I haven't interacted with often so I'll probably forget this ridiculous conversation by tomorrow.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh well as long as the only one they missed was St Louis :picard: :lol:

There is no "they".  It's one guy doing the math.  I swear, 90% see something they don't like and stop reading and turn off their critical thinking.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There is no "they".  It's one guy doing the math.  I swear, 90% see something they don't like and stop reading and turn off their critical thinking.

nah I just don't put much stock in the anal-ytics fellas. I think most of it is pretty laughable regardless of Canucks content. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

nah I just don't put much stock in the anal-ytics fellas. I think most of it is pretty laughable regardless of Canucks content. 

Building a team on pure analytics is incredibly stupid and doomed to failure as proved by the Panthers a few years ago, but as far as these lists go, they're pretty good.

If the Canucks stay relatively healthy, I think they'll for sure be one of the bigger outlying teams of the year.  If the trend of injuries continues, it's another bottom 10 finish.

• Upvote 1