The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury to Markstrom Might Spark Team Identity

Rate this topic

MikeyD

4 minutes ago, Fateless said:

While true, you cannot pretend like Demko would have put up the numbers that Marky has. They're just not statistically in the same ballpark this season. While I hope that Demko steals some games for us, pretending he'll be as good or better than Marky is a bit of a pipe dream. One that I hope comes true, but acknowledge it likely will not.

You are assuming that Demko's experience and growth stays stagnant 

I don't think that is what would have happened if Demko had played 40 games so far this season 

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Just so you guys know if Marky requires surgery this is not a procedure that can wait and he can play through if he does require surgery he is done for the season and will have 6 month recovery 

is that so ? so your a doctor too now  ?  

Edited by the grinder

This is a moment to see what we have got in our goalie and go into the off season knowing who is a keeper and who is not.   I believe that if Demko shines, It brings a great trade value options for the future and we would resign Marky to a reasonable contract if he is not shooting for the moon,   We can only keep so many players but unfortunately, in salary cap world, you can’t do that.  I would rather going back to pre-cap world where you can afford to keep everybody and not worry about the cap.    If Demko shines and Marky decides to go for highest bidder and we would lose Markstrom for nothing.   I would like to see some kind of assets back, somehow.   It seems that we are unable to get some good assets back for a long while.   I’m kind of looking forward to see what we have in DiPietro in 2-3 years from now.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Great post. But as soon as I saw it I knew Arrow would be all up in here haha guy is ruthless 

I have one question for you and most fans 

Do you really think that most Players care about the Fans? 

Let me just say this, most don't and that's why they have agents. Agents help them get the most Money they can get. If they cared about the fans they wouldn't need agents they would take the first amount they got offered and be happy to do so.

Here is another question

Who's ruthless in this scenario 

Come this July 1st if Marky leaves and signs a 6.5 mill contract 

Benning only offers him 5.5mill 

So who is ruthless Marky for not taking less and choosing not to care about this fan base

Or Benning for not offering him more

Let me tell you it's a trick question, neither it is Business, Benning thinks about the team and cap space, Marky will just bring the same joy to a different fan base and make more money. 

As soon as fans understand that players really don't care about fans, the fans themselves can become impartial 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Wat 1

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

This is a moment to see what we have got in our goalie and go into the off season knowing who is a keeper and who is not.   I believe that if Demko shines, It brings a great trade value options for the future and we would resign Marky to a reasonable contract if he is not shooting for the moon,   We can only keep so many players but unfortunately, in salary cap world, you can’t do that.  I would rather going back to pre-cap world where you can afford to keep everybody and not worry about the cap.    If Demko shines and Marky decides to go for highest bidder and we would lose Markstrom for nothing.   I would like to see some kind of assets back, somehow.   It seems that we are unable to get some good assets back for a long while.   I’m kind of looking forward to see what we have in DiPietro in 2-3 years from now.  

I like your post but I do disagree with you on one point

I would not want to go back to a pre cap system 

the pre cap system benefits Canadian teams greatly especially when the dollar is weak as it is now

Even the Canucks would get out bid by strong financial teams from the US

The ticket prices would be worse then it is now

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

furthermore, in the Pacific division alone it would give Vegas, LA, SJS and Seattle when they come in a leg up on the Canucks, they could buy out bad contracts, and spend themselves into rebuilds.

NYR, Tor, Mon just to name a few would never have to rebuild a team the way we did from the ground up. Remember the 90s

Edited by Arrow 1983

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have one question for you and most fans 

Do you really think that most Players care about the Fans? 

Let me just say this most don't and that's why they have agents. Agents help them get the most Money they can get. If they cared about the fans they wouldn't need agents they would take the first amount they got offered and be happy to do so.

Here is another question

Who's ruthless in this scenario 

Come this July 1st if Marky leaves and signs a 6.5 mill contract 

Benning only offers him 5.5mill 

So who is ruthless Marky for not taking less and choosing not to care about this fan base

Or Benning for not offering him more

Let me tell you it's a trick question, neither it is Business, Benning thinks about the team and cap space, Marky will just bring the same joy to a different fan base and bring make more money. 

As soon as fans understand that players really don't care about fans, the fans themselves can become impartial 

I know you don’t want Markstrom resigned. That’s why I thought it was funny when I saw the thread. You’ve been saying it for months now. Sorry not saying it but actually creating threads about the whole idea and trying to shove it down our throats. 

It’s ok to talk about potential trades, free agency, possible destinations. Thats what a forum is for, discussion. But your statements have 0 humility.

Some Players may not like fans sure. The ungrateful ones but at the end of the day it’s Our hard earned money paying their salary. No fans, no NHL. Look at the Sedins, literally moved from their home town country and never went back They absolutely love the people and the city and they are grateful.

These are human beings and deserve to be treated so

Is this how you treat your family, like a business?

#weareallcanucks 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

demko has shat the bed too  so we know both know goalies sh@t the bed ,, but when the team craps out marky saves the day   

57 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

I have great confidence in Demko. Sometimes I feel the team plays better in front of him and he’ll continue to improve as his workload does. 

Yes both goalies Sh@t the bed some times so lets look at the numbers

games started with a save % over .900 

Demko 13 of 18    72%

Marky 27 of 43   63%

Demko sh@ts the bed less often

Does the team play better in front of Demko lets see

Shots against per 60 mins

Marky 33.4 shots

Demko 31.8 shots

shot wise I would say yes the team plays better with Demko in net, Could Demko be making better choices could he have better rebound control I would say yes.

All stats found at NHL.com under advanced stat selection

Edited by Arrow 1983

11 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

furthermore, in the Pacific division alone it would give Vegas, LA, SJS and Seattle when they come in a leg up on the Canucks, they could buy out bad contracts, and spend themselves into rebuilds.

NYR, Tor, Mon just to name a few would never have to rebuild a team the way we did from the ground up. Remember the 90s

I agree with you there but I feel that Canadian sports team is taxed too much when compared to US teams so and it was a big issues. This is still a gate driven league   And never forget that we had a cheap owner that wouldn’t spend anything.  I do not believe that Aquaman would be that thrifty owner.   If we are taxes at a same rate as US based teams, we wouldn’t be in this position and the only drawback would be currency exchange rate.  But that’s for other thread.  Let’s focus on the topic in mind. :)

17 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Yes both goalies Sh@t the bed some times so lets look at the numbers

games started with a save % over .900 

Demko 13 of 18    72%

Marky 27 of 43   63%

Demko sh@ts the bed less often

Does the team play better in front of Demko lets see

Shots against per 60 mins

Marky 33.4 shots

Demko 31.8 shots

shot wise I would say yes the team plays better with Demko in net, Could Demko be making better choices could he have better rebound control I would say yes.

All stats found at NHL.com under advanced stat selection

like ive said out of the 43 starts Marky  stole 8 games ,  8 games when were we badly out played  and had no business  wining those games.  Those stats you are throwing out  are misleading   since Demko has played 50% less games, with more favourable match ups , they are close in stats but Demko hasn't faced a workload  like Marky has had , ,  I like Demko and hope he can stand on his head but saying an injury is good thing that I just don't get , did you not see Carolina use a Zamboni driver in net?  :picard:   

• Upvote 1