The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Comprehensive Look at the 2019-20 Minnesota Wild (playoff preview featuring videos: all Goals For, all Goals Against, zone entries, scouting videos of Kevin Fiala, Alex Stalock)

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

Offside Article:

Minnesota had a mediocre 27-23-7 record when they fired Bruce Boudreau on February 14, and went 8-4 under new head coach Dean Evason before play was halted on March 12.
The Wild had the sixth-best points percentage (.658) in the NHL after February 1, while the Canucks (.444) were 26th. If you increase the sample to games since January 1, they were closer, although the Wild (.607 P%, 8th) were still well ahead of the Canucks (.552 P%, 18th).
The Canucks’ perceived biggest advantage is in goal, where Jacob Markstrom is expected to go up against Alex Stalock, a career NHL backup prior to this season. But Stalock is a major reason for Minnesota’s turnaround, posting a .920 save percentage in 18 games since January 1. Markstrom, in that time, posted a .915 SV% in 16 games.
It’s also interesting to look at how players on both teams performed since January 1. JT Miller was a beast for the Canucks, holding a big lead in scoring with 36 points in 29 games, while Quinn Hughes scored at many points (25) as did Elias Pettersson.
Brock Boeser missed 12 games due to injury and struggled offensively (7 points in 17 games), while Tyler Toffoli scored 10 points in 10 games after coming over in a trade with the LA Kings.
Minnesota, meanwhile, was relatively healthy down the stretch, and were led by 23-year-old Swiss forward Kevin Fiala. They acquired Alex Galchenyuk in February, in a trade that sent Jason Zucker.
What remains to be seen is how these two teams match up following more than four months off. The Canucks were limping to the finish line when the season was paused, but they’ll be close to full health by the time the puck drops again, depending on the status of Micheal Ferland and Josh Leivo.
Was Minnesota’s strong play in January, February, and March a sign of a good team finding their footing? Or was that a hot streak, which has been cooled off by a long layoff?
How will age come into play? Most of the Canucks’ stars are in their early-to-mid 20s, while the Wild are led mostly by players above the age of 30.
These are of course unprecedented times, which adds an additional wrinkle into any prediction.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Minnesota had a nice streak under the new coach - that happens a lot. Doesn't suddenly make them a good team.

It's tough to say how teams will react to this new environment. But the trend I would look at is how teams start the season. Even when Canucks were really bad in previous years, they usually started well, but as injuries and wear-and-tear started accumulating, they fell apart in the last 1/3 of the season. This season they were near the top of the league at the halfway point, but once again, serious injuries were derailing them.

Perhaps I’m being a Homer here, but I tend to think a healthy and rested Canucks team is a pretty dangerous thing.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

Minnesota had a nice streak under the new coach - that happens a lot. Doesn't suddenly make them a good team.

It's tough to say how teams will react to this new environment. But the trend I would look at is how teams start the season. Even when Canucks were really bad in previous years, they usually started well, but as injuries and wear-and-tear started accumulating, they fell apart in the last 1/3 of the season. This season they were near the top of the league at the halfway point, but once again, serious injuries were derailing them.

Perhaps I’m being a Homer here, but I tend to think a healthy and rested Canucks team is a pretty dangerous thing.

They were 7-3-1 leading to Boudreau's firing.  

Minnesota had a terrible October.  Finished tied last in the league.  Lots of reasons to it and those issues have been resolved so I wouldn't expect that team showing up.  

Players concerned about the moves Fenton made with veterans not wanting a rebuild - core players Niederreiter, Granlund, Coyle moved with disappointing returns.  Fiala not fitting in.  Boudreau considered Granlund their best player and was openly mocking the trade in the summer.  Didn't help that Fenton described Fiala as a game breaker.  Wild were also a dump and chase team but Fenton believed it's becoming a rush league.  Fiala wouldn't dump the puck and Parise-Koivu just had no idea how to play with him.

The Wild are also transitioning to younger players but the process is not as smooth as in Vancouver.  Their young players had to dislodge established veterans.  Boudreau admitted to tension with the vets about ice time and Guerin confirmed that moving Zucker was also to give young players more opportunity.  Their young players also needed development time and weren't ready to just step right in like Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser did.

Parise lost 1:30 of ice time compared to the previous season.  Suter over 2 minutes.  Koivu was leading their Fs in ice time by end of December.  He lost 5 minutes in the 2nd half of the season and finished C4 and off the PP.  Zuccarello started the season as top line winger.  He is down to the 3rd line and 2nd unit.  Zucker got traded.  Roles have adjusted as the season went along.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I can't say I'm scared of Minnesota, but perhaps that's also the part we have to watch out for. We have to want this and not let the numbers (that are clearly in favour of us) get to our head.

You can find something to be scared of on any team.  I like our chances.  We can take these guys!

• Cheers 1