The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I don't want the Canucks winning the Cup this year

Rate this topic

EP40.

Considering the circumstances, would you rather the Canucks win the Cup?  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still remember in 2011 when people on this board were arguing about throwing game 6 because they'd rather win the cup in Vancouver in perfect storybook fashion

Newsflash: Reality isn't gonna be like that, this year and possibly next year, is not going to be a storybook battle to game 7 like the Blues did vs the Bruins.

I don't care if we win it in the cold heartless vacuum of space playing in complete silence and darkness on an isolated crater on the moon. I just want a cup.

The others that follow we can be pickier about but the first will always been meaningful no matter the circumstance

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 2:32 PM, wai_lai416 said:

I dont see how winning the cup will erase all the jokes. It'll be the canucks season is saved by the coronavirus. Markstrom was injured and we were spiraling out of a playoff spot. If the season were to finish without a pause and following the trend with markstrom not ready to come back. I think its fair to say the canucks were more than likely to continue spiraling out of a playoff spot.  We are only in there coz corona saved the season and now all the players are healthy lol.

Or... Demko coming in and playing lights out... 

You have points though but other teams had injuries too so it's kind of hard to say in a way BUT the team that has the most depth wins and for once we have "some"

Both times we got really close we had lil to no depth at all so at least we're ahead that way but we have one more season before we're back in business

The season after that will have a hefty cap increase when the tv deal is finally up and re-negotiated.. next year I see our guys signed for bridge deals that would have LE's and Lou's cap crunch finally irrelevant so on par will help us to ice a "elite" team and no, not just a really good but butter soft regular season team either, that's been our history less 2 times..

Finally we're going to have a tough playoff team that can play deep for Stanley so in the meantime it's fun to watch our team knowing if a couple injuries happen it won't stop us like so many years before... 

Edited by iceman64

13 hours ago, Jetliner said:

the cup win this year will be an asterisk.. no doubt about that. 

but a cup win this way is better than nothing

Why would the Cup win be an asterisk? I can see them giving an asterisk if the playoffs could not be played at all and decided to hand the cup to the best regular season team or something. If it's because the season got shortened, then would that mean all awards will be asterisked as well? I doubt any awards will get that and the playoffs will still generally be played in full. The playoff seedings have had changes throughout the span of the NHL and all were awarded Stanley Cups without any asterisks.

Whatever the case, I agree that it doesn't matter how we win the Cup, just win it.

18 hours ago, Jetliner said:

the cup win this year will be an asterisk.. no doubt about that. 

but a cup win this way is better than nothing

Yes.   And it should.   Five rounds of hockey if a play-in team gets that far ... forever the seasons used to be 72 (or less) games and then either a bye in the first round or a five game series (should those get an asterisk too)...and the players have to go directly back to their bubble afterwards (when has that happened before?) not home to their wife and kids during home games or not out to let some steam go on an away games either.   The players themselves are already saying this will be the HARDEST cup to win all-time - and I for one agree to that.   So yes put an asterisk on it as the best cup any team has ever won - and I definitely hope it’s handed out. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Mickey might have been the first coach to tell his guy to lay off women on screen - heck maybe it even inspired a few coaches too.  Can’t remember who it was but the coach (Al Arbour?Glen Sather? ) asked all the wives to meet up with them and then told them no sex until the playoffs were over....and it worked too. They won the cup ... my brain isn’t as good at every fact yet but if anyone else can find who this was (might have been Shero now that i think about it really hard - about 80% sure it was Shero)... that would make this even more hilarious. 

• Vintage 1