The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Roll With The Kid

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

29 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I was just about to open a thread on this. 

I’m actually debating on trading Demko for a nice haul. His value has skyrocketed. He played 3 straight high pressure elimination games and literally stood in his head. Everyone in hockey noticed that.

We can explore trades like Demko and LE for a 1st and a high level prospect or a top 4 defenceman. 

Whens the last time a goalie got a nice haul though?

Schneider 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The going rate is still a first.

We’re not the ones with leverage in an Eriksson trade regardless of his salary and teams know it.

I don’t know man. Demko ad is out and everyone saw it and was impressed. I think his going rate now is far more than that. I’m just saying it should be explored. People need to relax

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Schneider 

When was the last time a rookie goalie showed the world this incredible on 3 straight elimination games? This has to have been the greatest ever advertisement for a rookie goalie.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Schneider 

Young goalies never get the haul you think they will.

Lots of organizations think they have the next stud in their system. You don’t trade away first s and high level prospects for them.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

1) our defence needs one more top 4 to be a true contender 

2) JB needs to figure out the salary cap

3) if we go with a first and a prospect, I said HIGH level prospect, not some shmuck 

The team doesn't need a top 4 dman it needs a top 1-2 dman... 

With what Demko just did which was dominate in the playoffs there is no way he should be traded period. The reason Luongo was traded was because he had no playoff experience. Demko just put on a display that has never been seen before as a rookie... This kid is going to be a legit starter and Vezina finalist for years to come.. and you want to ship him out to make cap space which we don't even need..

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

When was the last time a rookie goalie showed the world this incredible on 3 straight elimination games? This has to have been the greatest ever advertisement for a rookie goalie.

Uh last year.

Then before that it was murray

Then hammond 

This happens every year or so lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Basically the choice is spend 7-8 million on goalies next season and let two of Tanev, Toffoli or Stecher go.

Or spend 4 million on goalies next season and likely only have to let one of those three go.

The deeper we can keep this team the better odds we have.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Uh last year.

Then before that it was murray

Then hammond 

This happens every year or so lol

Murray yes. Hammond no. But what Demko did Murray never did. Demko was underseiged for 180 minutes basically non stop and let in 2 goals.. in elimination games.

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The team doesn't need a top 4 dman it needs a top 1-2 dman... 

With what Demko just did which was dominate in the playoffs there is no way he should be traded period. The reason Luongo was traded was because he had no playoff experience. Demko just put on a display that has never been seen before as a rookie... This kid is going to be a legit starter and Vezina finalist for years to come.. and you want to ship him out to make cap space which we don't even need..

Yes, I agree with us needing a Pronger to go with our Neidermayer but that is going to be very difficult to get. 

Easy on the Demko fantasy. Lol

Demko is calm, cool and collected, and educated, and mature. The list could go on. He's also younger and cheaper than Markstrom, and has proven he can win games under the greatest pressure on the biggest stage. He always look so completely relaxed too. Nothing phases him. They need to keep this guy. I really like Markstrom, but he's a very good goalie who could help another team. Maybe the Canucks get a nice return, or are able to package him with Eriksson or Roussel.

The Core

Hughes - 20

Pettersson - 21

Juolevi - 22

Gaudette - 23

Boeser - 23

Virtanen - 24

MacEwen - 24

Demko - 24

Horvat - 25

Markstrom - 30

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Let's be fair here. Goalies arent a premier position in the league. They never fetch alot. 

Not when there‘a guys like Merzlikins that outperform goalies making 10 million dollars.

The risk is getting in a never ending cycling of average goalies like Buffalo however.

However I’m pretty confident in Demko. And Ian Clarke seems to get the most out of goalies so I don’t think it would be hard to find another goalie to come in and perform well. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Murray yes. Hammond no. But what Demko did Murray never did. Demko was underseiged for 180 minutes basically non stop and let in 2 goals.. in elimination games.

Hammond carries the sens in the playoffs a few years back, not unlike bennington. I'm not comparing them talent or potential wise I'm just saying goalies go on these streaks all the time and yet their trade value remains low. Very low. You dont need an amazing goalie to win a cup and gms know this 

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

not to take anything away from demkos story , ken Dryden was called up to play back up to Vachon , who was one of the best at the time . with only 6 NHL games Dryden took over in their playoff run and won the cup , he also took the conn smyth . 

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Hammond carries the sens in the playoffs a few years back, not unlike bennington. I'm not comparing them talent or potential wise I'm just saying goalies go on these streaks all the time and yet their trade value remains low. Very low. You dont need an amazing goalie to win a cup and gms know this 

Hammonds run was a complete fluke and it was laughable the entire time. I am also pretty sure as soon as the playoffs started he was pulled repeatedly and his run of luck was over. Murray has really had one bad year I am sure he bounces back. 

This team is still looking for an identity.

If we wanna be a fast skilled two way team like the Hawks then we gotta build around that.

Right now we have half the team that wants to rush the puck and attack in waves and half the team that wants to collapse and block shots.

More skill and speed in the bottom 6 will allow us to roll four lines rather than get hemmed in our zone for half the game. Still way too easy to defend a team with only two offensive lines.

• Cheers 3