The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Roll With The Kid

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

5 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

Sorry man..I wasn't specifically targeting you. I was reading through the first few pages and people were saying the likes of "It is easy to keep both, just sign Mark to 3-4 years with no expansion protection and have no "NTC/NMC", it will be fine. I mean it is quite impossible to think he will agree to that.

No, quite agree. It's a good time to simply be decisive, & use the large savings in other ways.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's another option, but I wouldn't after what we just witnessed.

You might be selling off Hasek(without the quirks), as he's stepping onto the Yellow freeken'Brick Rd. At this pt savour the typhoon/twister, thanking the puckGawds you concussed yer noggin' & roll with this kid!

Well thankfully it doesn't matter which really, Markstrom has done that for most of the season already and he's done it in the playoffs so either way we don't have to worry about our Goalie position and we could let one go for a top pairing D who can either play top pairing with Hughes or anchor 2nd pairing and move up in event of illness or injury (God forbid) to Hughes and whoever flanks him.. 

That's a big need, but probably next to our last need as our depth starts to take spots and then there's the BIG ass Russian I'd still love him here, nice to have a freight train that throws things out of the way like ragdolls, that was Brashear at one point and he actually play hockey but nowhere as good as Train, his passes are fine and a better skater than Brash, can he fight as well? No but not many could, ask Marty lol

Anyway we need D, we can argue Demko or Marky all day BUT we can't hang them out to dry as we always have (the odd exception) and that's a big reason there's never been a Stanley here, not the only reason but a lot of it.. hope JB continues hitting it over the fence with deals and we get better so we don't waste the firepower we have 

• Vintage 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, iceman64 said:

Well thankfully it doesn't matter which really, Markstrom has done that for most of the season already and he's done it in the playoffs so either way we don't have to worry about our Goalie position and we could let one go for a top pairing D who can either play top pairing with Hughes or anchor 2nd pairing and move up in event of illness or injury (God forbid) to Hughes and whoever flanks him.. 

That's a big need, but probably next to our last need as our depth starts to take spots and then there's the BIG ass Russian I'd still love him here, nice to have a freight train that throws things out of the way like ragdolls, that was Brashear at one point and he actually play hockey but nowhere as good as Train, his passes are fine and a better skater than Brash, can he fight as well? No but not many could, ask Marty lol

Anyway we need D, we can argue Demko or Marky all day BUT we can't hang them out to dry as we always have (the odd exception) and that's a big reason there's never been a Stanley here, not the only reason but a lot of it.. hope JB continues hitting it over the fence with deals and we get better so we don't waste the firepower we have 

Marky is among the most valuable pending UFA's and was fourth in Vezna voting. So the question is do you let him walk for nothing? The way I see it Demko was pretty average during the season but his playoff performance, despite brief, really boosted his value. I would be inclined to re-sign Marky for 4 to 5 years and use Demko to offload Eriksson. Ottawa could definitely use a young quality goalie for their rebuild and has a ton of cap space and draft picks. Meaning we could add picks and take no salary back. Marky's term gives DiPietro, other goalie prospects, plenty of time to develop. One scenario is pure loss and the other a benefit for now (cap space) and the future (added draft picks). I know which of those options I'd take. I'd even be willing to add Virtanen or Stecher to that deal with Ottawa. They have three 1st's, four 2nd's and three 3rd's. They could afford to move a few, particularly with a young player or two coming back.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Marky is among the most valuable pending UFA's and was fourth in Vezna voting. So the question is do you let him walk for nothing? The way I see it Demko was pretty average during the season but his playoff performance, despite brief, really boosted his value. I would be inclined to re-sign Marky for 4 to 5 years and use Demko to offload Eriksson. Ottawa could definitely use a young quality goalie for their rebuild and has a ton of cap space and draft picks. Meaning we could add picks and take no salary back. Marky's term gives DiPietro, other goalie prospects, plenty of time to develop. One scenario is pure loss and the other a benefit for now (cap space) and the future (added draft picks). I know which of those options I'd take. I'd even be willing to add Virtanen or Stecher to that deal with Ottawa. They have three 1st's, four 2nd's and three 3rd's. They could afford to move a few, particularly with a young player or two coming back.

As much as I tend to agree, I'd rather see something coming on D for a trade but if we let Marky go for nothing (not something I'd be happy with but at this point we need D but it's a biotch not knowing what player we'll lose in the Seattle draft and even worse, what position F, D, or G.. we could sign him and hold off and make a deal that they'd they do something in return to even it out, like taking LE later or something.. you know what I mean but has to be something in return I hope besides cap space, or, trade Marky/LE to the Coyotes for OEL straight across, anything really but we have a logjam at F too so it's not like JB can't do package deals and filter some more youth into the line-up like he enevitably will do so I'm not so much worried about our situation, but this chokes me that yet another thing might set us back, first it was the cap in the first place for Gillis, who in my opinion had the team almost at the same point as we are now, as in still needing tweaks but maybe MG had it closer, hard to say but now covid and zero raise in cap which I was hoping would covered Mark's raise and keep our tandem intact... Sigh..  oh yeah, Seattle.. does it ever stop ffs? Geeez!

On 9/5/2020 at 2:43 PM, grandmaster said:

I was just about to open a thread on this. 

I’m actually debating on trading Demko for a nice haul. His value has skyrocketed. He played 3 straight high pressure elimination games and literally stood in his head. Everyone in hockey noticed that.

We can explore trades like Demko and LE for a 1st and a high level prospect or a top 4 defenceman. 

You keep Demko. I love Markstrom but he's at the age where he can win now. If he goes I'd like to see him go somewhere where he could win a cup, now.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Like that Hague kid? Hey JYD, that's an interesting take. Rather be a buyer on youth, than a seller!

Give me both Vegas and NJD 2nd and one of their better prospects or NJD 2nd and Vegas’s 1st. 

they have a RD too that I like.  Korczak. 

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind, he did perform well, but only against one team. Maybe the Knights aren't able to snipe as well, or maybe we defended the Knights in a way we couldn't against a team like Tampa or Washington.

I believe he'll be a good starter, but hoping he can be that great #1 for us too.

• Cheers 1

On 9/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Making this short & sweet. Let's go with TD. I've never seen such cool-headed 'tending under such conditions, in almost 5 decades of watching the game.

I'm talking exhibiting skill, athletic-prowess, incredible reflexes, textbook-technique, nerves of steel, & the stamina to display it all under the duress of 3(utterly dominated) games in 4 days.

This was the ultimate baptism-by-fire(ing-squad).

Sign him now to 3 or 4 yrs x 5 mill.

Allow Jacob to go get 40, 50 mill on the open market(which I'm sure he will). It's time the org says goodbye to the 32 yr run of the incredible Trev Linden 1988 selection. Has there ever been better return on 1 1st rounder?(debatable I s'pose)

Put the $ where the mouth is. If you agree we run with Thatcher(go on record) & give'er a plus.

Let's go TD!  I'm feeling good about Demko & Holtby 

I think we are seeing the cap mismanagement over the past few years rear its ugly head.This club will need to heavily rely on their youth. They have no money to add. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. 

Our defense will be interesting to watch this year. 

Ferland on ir will give a little wiggle room but not much.

4 mill in buy outs and Lu. 6 mil in LE.

9 hours ago, appleboy said:

I think we are seeing the cap mismanagement over the past few years rear its ugly head.This club will need to heavily rely on their youth. They have no money to add. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. 

Our defense will be interesting to watch this year. 

Ferland on ir will give a little wiggle room but not much.

4 mill in buy outs and Lu. 6 mil in LE.

It could be argued that we've kicked the can down the road, for about a decade(although that Lu penalty was incredibly biased/sketchy).

So we go young? Great. Let's get cap-kosher, & see what we have in our youth.

• 3 months later...