The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Gus is a personal fave of mine. Was rocking his shirt last night with pride. But Jones won a razor sharp decision. Bones took those last two rounds and despite 1-3 being so damn close, Bones took round 2. Shame though, he was THAT close to shocking the MMA world.

Hats off to Bones though. He showed that even being that damaged, he refused to lose. True heart of a champion there.

Instant classic and can't wait for the rematch!

Gus made a fan of me. He left it all out there like he said, and showed everybody the LHW division is still interesting.

He better get an immediate rematch, because it can be argued he already should have the belt around his waist. Teixeria has to beat somebody better than Ryan Bader before he gets considered for a fight with Jones.

P.S. If this isn't proof GSP is #1 P4P over JJ right now...I don't know what is. Nothing against Jones, but GSP has been clinically handling tougher opponents for longer.

Edited by Captain Aerosex

Gus made a fan of me. He left it all out there like he said, and showed everybody the LHW division is still interesting.

He better get an immediate rematch, because it can be argued he already should have the belt around his waist. Teixeria has to beat somebody better than Ryan Bader before he gets considered for a fight with Jones.

P.S. If this isn't proof GSP is #1 P4P over JJ right now...I don't know what is. Nothing against Jones, but GSP has been clinically handling tougher opponents for longer.

I'd go Pettis, Silva and Jones ahead of GSP.

All three are risk takers and finishers for the most part and still win, apart from Silva's showboating KTFO.

All three are risk takers and finishers for the most part and still win, apart from Silva's showboating KTFO.

Silva and Jones I might get, but Pettis? Guy hasn't even defended his belt yet, that's just ludicrous.

Doesn't matter whether a fighter finishes more than another, all that matters is how much more they win. And right now, GSP has the longest title defence streak in the most stacked division in the UFC. He's the most well-rounded fighter in the world. Flashy finishes don't determine one's ability to win.

Edited by Captain Aerosex

Being a risk taker doesn't make you a better fighter. These guys can't help but be risk takers because they don't have the type of dedication to their game plan. I don't know if GSP is a better P4P fighter than Silva or Jones, but I think the fact that he is able to win without taking risks is a sign of a better fighter.

• Upvote 2

Being a risk taker doesn't make you a better fighter. These guys can't help but be risk takers because they don't have the type of dedication to their game plan. I don't know if GSP is a better P4P fighter than Silva or Jones, but I think the fact that he is able to win without taking risks is a sign of a better fighter.

He's too scared to take a risk for a finish. Ever since getting tko'd by what's his name and losing his title.

Champions who finish fighters and do it while taking risks are better imo. Cain Valasquez is another one who's above him.

Edited by playboi19

Silva and Jones I might get, but Pettis? Guy hasn't even defended his belt yet, that's just ludicrous.

Doesn't matter whether a fighter finishes more than another, all that matters is how much more they win. And right now, GSP has the longest title defence streak in the most stacked division in the UFC. He's the most well-rounded fighter in the world. Flashy finishes don't determine one's ability to win.

I don't care about defence streaks. Just because he won 11 fights over 6 years, that doesn't mean that right now he's p4p better than Pettis.

He's too scared to take a risk for a finish. Ever since getting tko'd by what's his name and losing his title.

Champions who finish fighters and do it while taking risks are better imo. Cain Valasquez is another one who's above him.

This seems to be a preference in style rather than a definition of who is a better fighter. In my mind, the better fighter is the one who can win without taking chances. It shows that they are so technically sound that they can beat anyone on a given day. Those who take risks may do so for different reasons. Silva may take risks because he is a showboat. Others may take risks simply because they are unsure that they beat their opponent on the balance of their abilities.

I don't think you can say that GSP doesn't take risks because he is 'scared'. For one, he is fighting guys who are better and thus more difficult to KO or TKO. I think GSP doesn't take risks because he wants to win fights.

GSP has a game plan that's working for him and until someone can neutralize his wrestling, then he's going to continue to win fights like that. Why do something risk-taking and potentially put yourself in a bad position (Cough Anderson Cough) when you have all the tools to decisively win the fight?

I'm sure GSP can stand with every fighter in the division if he wants to but that's not his style, and whats the point?

1. Jones

2. GSP

3. Silva

Best P4P fighters in that order.

I don't care about defence streaks. Just because he won 11 fights over 6 years, that doesn't mean that right now he's p4p better than Pettis.

And Pettis' one win for the belt doesn't make him better now...it's not like GSP's coming off anything but another decisive win.

GSP has beaten any and all fighters for the last 6 years in a stacked division. Pettis can't say that. He has the chance to, LW's a tough division and he's a great fighter. But until then, he has nothing on Aldo, Cain, GSP, Jones, Silva, hell even Weidman.

GSP has a game plan that's working for him and until someone can neutralize his wrestling, then he's going to continue to win fights like that. Why do something risk-taking and potentially put yourself in a bad position (Cough Anderson Cough) when you have all the tools to decisively win the fight?

I'm sure GSP can stand with every fighter in the division if he wants to but that's not his style, and whats the point?

1. Jones

2. GSP

3. Silva

Best P4P fighters in that order.

1. Silva

2. Jones

3. GSP

IMO.

There are a lot of fighters that are currently better than Pettis P4P, Josie Aldo? Renan Barao? Jones/Silva/GSP. Finishes are nice of course, but wins are important as well. You also have to look at the competition. GSP was finishing most of his fights before he became the Champion because the competition was weaker.The reward for finishing an opponent when you're not the champion is quite a bit higher. Look at Rory and how he is now fighting Robbie Lawler as "punishment" for not going for the finish on Ellenberger. Dana pushes for every fight to end in a stoppage, but when you're the champion you're not longer under that same scrutiny. Let's see what Pettis can do as the champ before we throw him in with the other guys.

• 4 weeks later...

Cain. Complete rapeage. Wow!

My heart was racing that whole fight. Cain's been on my radar since before the UFC and I rooted for him throughout the UFC. Every time JDS caught him I had my hands on my head.

That whole event was amazing. One of the best events I've seen.

Dodson was awesome. Watched the kid through TUF and now he's succeeding in the UFC. Good for him.

Melendez/Sanchez was unbelievable. Those 2 were throwing and connecting the whole fight. Love seeing Diego making a name for himself again.

Cormier/Nelson. Everybody underestimates Big Country and they can never finish him. Was a pretty good fight.

Gonzaga too. Nice to see him doing well. The guy can really throw.

My heart was racing that whole fight. Cain's been on my radar since before the UFC and I rooted for him throughout the UFC. Every time JDS caught him I had my hands on my head.

That whole event was amazing. One of the best events I've seen.

Dodson was awesome. Watched the kid through TUF and now he's succeeding in the UFC. Good for him.

Melendez/Sanchez was unbelievable. Those 2 were throwing and connecting the whole fight. Love seeing Diego making a name for himself again.

Cormier/Nelson. Everybody underestimates Big Country and they can never finish him. Was a pretty good fight.

Gonzaga too. Nice to see him doing well. The guy can really throw.

Absolutely agree. Apperently even the facebook prelims were great too. Just downloading them now.

Still think Diego could've possibly finished Gil when he floored him. Shouldn't have gone for that choke and ground and pounded instead. Gil looked done!