The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

McGregor, my favourite fighter alongside Sonnen.

Master and student. Just like Sonnen, straight shooter and ain't afraid of nothing. Talks the talk and walks it too. 

Score one more for the bad guys.

Sonnen didn't walk any walk...

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

McGregor, my favourite fighter alongside Sonnen.

Master and student. Just like Sonnen, straight shooter and ain't afraid of nothing. Talks the talk and walks it too. 

Score one more for the bad guys.

IMO there is a massive difference between McGregor and Sonnen. McGregor talks because he believes in himself, Sonnen talks because he is a sideshow that needed to stay relevant/drum controversy to maintain a contract.

McGregor also hasn't failed three drug tests. If Sonnen was confident/unafraid, I don't think he'd have been doping.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 2

On 02/10/2014 at 1:53 PM, Captain Aerosex said:

And we'll see with McGregor vs Aldo. I think there's going to be one more fight in between them meeting up (I don't see Mendes winning, and I don't think the UFC's sending a wrestler after Conor just yet). That's one fight where Aldo ages a little more (not that he's old, but he's old in fight years) and one fight where Conor has a chance to improve. He's smart, athletic, dynamic, and young. He's as bad a match-up for Aldo as Aldo could be for him. He'll have a belt eventually. It's just a matter of time.

On 21/03/2015 at 2:45 AM, Captain Aerosex said:

Lol

Aldo may win. But McGregor is anything but overrated and I think some people are gonna be surprised on July 11. Stylistically, he might be Aldo's nightmare. Physically, he has every advantage except maybe sheer speed. Regardlesa of the result it's going to be the biggest fight in FW history. My money's on a new champ.

Been interested in the guy since I watched him fight Brimage. His skills, humour, and confidence made me a fan and persuaded me that he might have what it took to be champion, and his next 2 fights only added to that. After Poirier, I believed completely. When I got into MMA, GSP and Silva were my favourites. But they were already established. Conor is the first fighter that I've watched and rooted for as he climbed the ladder. Somebody who I've tried to emulate in the gym and whose mentality I try to capture. Now he's the biggest star in MMA. It's inspirational for me. I'm incredibly happy for the guy.

At the same time...I feel for Jose. 10 years Undefeated, P4P #1, FW GOAT...destroyed in 13 seconds. He's going to be dragged through the mud.

Overall a decent card. Didn't live up to 189. Weidman screwed himself in an otherwise close fight that he would've won if he kept fighting his fight. Holloway made Stephens look like he didn't belong in there, as did Maia to Gunnar. Romero-Jacare was disappointing. Neither guy really earned a win.

If Conor moves up, Edgar-Holloway for the strap. If he stays to fight Edgar, Aldo-Holloway.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

IMO there is a massive difference between McGregor and Sonnen. McGregor talks because he believes in himself, Sonnen talks because he is a sideshow that needed to stay relevant/drum controversy to maintain a contract.

McGregor also hasn't failed three drug tests. If Sonnen was confident/unafraid, I don't think he'd have been doping.

Agree with that but in ways they are similar with the bad guy persona. 

And Lol...you don't even know the full story. Sonnen "doping" is due to a medical and health condition. He openly told them he has to and its backed by doctors. ...but hey Silva found legit doping and he gets a nice slap on the wrist and gets the story brushed under the carpet lmao

5 hours ago, Captain Aerosex said:

Been interested in the guy since I watched him fight Brimage. His skills, humour, and confidence made me a fan and persuaded me that he might have what it took to be champion, and his next 2 fights only added to that. After Poirier, I believed completely. When I got into MMA, GSP and Silva were my favourites. But they were already established. Conor is the first fighter that I've watched and rooted for as he climbed the ladder. Somebody who I've tried to emulate in the gym and whose mentality I try to capture. Now he's the biggest star in MMA. It's inspirational for me. I'm incredibly happy for the guy.

At the same time...I feel for Jose. 10 years Undefeated, P4P #1, FW GOAT...destroyed in 13 seconds. He's going to be dragged through the mud.

Overall a decent card. Didn't live up to 189. Weidman screwed himself in an otherwise close fight that he would've won if he kept fighting his fight. Holloway made Stephens look like he didn't belong in there, as did Maia to Gunnar. Romero-Jacare was disappointing. Neither guy really earned a win.

If Conor moves up, Edgar-Holloway for the strap. If he stays to fight Edgar, Aldo-Holloway.

I think Conor said he wants to defend it first, which makes sense. It's not truly his until he defends it. I suppose you can say it is truly his though because he "defended" against Aldo.

It also depends on if the UFC is going to let him do what he wants, which is to compete for both belts at the same time and fight a lot during the year, which is what he likes to do.

6 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

And Lol...you don't even know the full story. Sonnen "doping" is due to a medical and health condition. He openly told them he has to and its backed by doctors. ...but hey Silva found legit doping and he gets a nice slap on the wrist and gets the story brushed under the carpet lmao

I'll start out by saying that I'm a huge Sonnen fan. I loved what he did for the sport and how he built himself into arguably one of the biggest draws in the ufc. But Sonnen was doping, and has pretty much - in his Sonnen way of speak, admitted to as much. He's failed 3 drug tests over his career. When someone refuses to take a drug test, there's usually a reason... and it's probably not a good one. 

All that being said, I don't blame him. It's pretty widely accepted that most fighters are probably on something at some point during training.... and if you look at Sonnen's weight class in particular, most of the top guys of his era have had failed tests as well. If you can't beat them, join them. 

Sonnen is the man. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Gave Silva the biggest whooping in UFC history - fact.

...yea he wasn't as magical and innovative with his game but a fierce competitor that will give it his all.

he didn't give no whooping lol  He wrestled the crap out of him for 5 rounds but then what?  He did nothing on the ground, Silva walked away without a scratch.  Mind you Silva also had a broken rib going into the 1st fight, he still pulled out the win late.

Silva beat Sonnen convincingly, 2 different ways.

7 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Silva got suspended a full year...That is usually what a first time offense gets.  But again people hear the words "steroids, failed drug test" and automatically assume it's a bad thing.  Silva used them to help heal faster after almost having his leg ripped off.  This what steroids are made for, medical purposes.

Just now, JV77 said:

he didn't give no whooping lol  He wrestled the crap out of him for 5 rounds but then what?  He did nothing on the ground, Silva walked away without a scratch.  Mind you Silva also had a broken rib going into the 1st fight, he still pulled out the win late.

Silva beat Sonnen convincingly, 2 different ways.

Lmao idk what you watched dude. Most strikes ever landed in a fight in the UFC history. And no Silva got beat up pretty badly lol. And Yea but everyone fights with something nagging and Silva just used that as an excuse imo.

Second one was disappointing. Sonnen just did a dumb attempt at a spinning back fist and shot himself in the foot. 1st one was a fight. 2nd one was meh. 

...and I've video chatted and met Sonnen. He's a great athlete and an even better person who I look up to. Get why people hate him for his antics he used but you have to realize that was essentially for the purpose of pumping the fights and getting on the map. Idc what people think...I've been with him and chat with him once in a while and know the person he is. 

Never mess with a gangster ;) 

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Lmao idk what you watched dude. Most strikes ever landed in a fight in the UFC history. And no Silva got beat up pretty badly lol. And Yea but everyone fights with something nagging and Silva just used that as an excuse imo.

Second one was disappointing. Sonnen just did a dumb attempt at a spinning back fist and shot himself in the foot. 1st one was a fight. 2nd one was meh. 

...and I've video chatted and met Sonnen. He's a great athlete and an even better person who I look up to. Get why people hate him for his antics he used but you have to realize that was essentially for the purpose of pumping the fights and getting on the map. Idc what people think...I've been with him and chat with him once in a while and know the person he is. 

Never mess with a gangster ;) 

Why would he have an excuse when he won the damn fight?  If he did land the most shots ever, they clearly weren't hard damaging shots because if they were he would have finished him in no time.  Silva was fine after the fight.

And btw I love Sonnen!  I was pulling for him against Jones and actually had a funny twitter convo with him once too.  He is a great talker and always love listening to him.  He knows his stuff and I would love to see him back.

Just now, JV77 said:

Why would he have an excuse when he won the damn fight?  If he did land the most shots ever, they clearly weren't hard damaging shots because if they were he would have finished him in no time.  Silva was fine after the fight.

And btw I love Sonnen!  I was pulling for him against Jones and actually had a funny twitter convo with him once too.  He is a great talker and always love listening to him.  He knows his stuff and I would love to see him back.

Yea he should be back down the road. Just playing out his suspension.

In Metamoris temporarily and a blessing in disguise. Really helping him on his ground game, specifically his BJJ. Has really found an apreciation for it. Combine that his already dominant wrestling and decent striking game and he can pretty much fight any type of fight he wants to. Submissions have really been a thorn in his career and Metamoris is really helping him with it. If/when he makes his UFC return, should really help him a lot.

On 12/13/2015 at 1:27 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Who else thought it was rigged. Dana had the belt ready for Connor before the fight even started.

Still a better "fight" than the last Pacquaio vs Mayweather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXHai7M7oU

Frank Fertitta had the belt, actually slammed it down when Aldo went down:

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/12/15/10210206/video-watch-frank-fertitta-slam-ufc-belt-after-conor-mcgregor-knocks-out-jose-aldo-mm

On 15/12/2015 at 11:38 AM, swflyers8 said:

Seems legit. Why would he be mad though Macgregor is the star the UFC needs highly marketable well dressed good talker entertaining. Not a no English speaking Brazillian.

Dana was happy I'm sure as he should be.

Unless it was because the fight ended so quick then I get being POed.

2 hours ago, JimLahey said:

Dos Anjos looked fantastic beating the Cowboy in a minute, calls out McGregor.. like this guy.

Overeem beating Dos Santos & Nate Diaz winning the decision over Johnson both impressive as well.

Solid night of free fights.

I knew Overeem would be a different fighter, for the simple fact that he trains with Jackson-Wink now.  They are the elite coaches and camp.  He finished JDS, which is tough to do.

Diaz looked better than ever.  RDA great obviously.  Would be a different ball game for McGregor at lightweight because these guys match up better size wise.  If he fought Diaz, Diaz would have a 3" height and size advantage and significant reach advantage.